Best Bait for fox trap?

What is the best bait to use in a cage trap for fox?

I was thinking old stinky rabbit with guts hanging out. Would this be right?

Any suggestions appreciated.

All the very best,

SSS :yes:

Edited by SSS

Oh and another thing, do I need to put water in the trap for the fox to drink?

excuse the stupid questions, It is the first time I have used a cage trap and want to get it right first time.

All the best :yes:

Edited by SSS

the best bait is a real smelly pheasant covered in old chip oil works every time beleive you me GIVE IT A TRY LET ME KNOW YOUR RESULTS :yes:

I will try and find some roadkill then ;)

Cheers chaps.

Would you recommend baiting it for a few nights first?

All the best,

Sam :good:

I use a couple of rabits tied to the back of the cage (the bar that makes the door close) 1 fresh + 1 a week old and I will put one pigeon body at the front of the cage (just inside) and one a couple of feet infront of the cage.

I have found that this works best :good:

Edited by MerseaDavid

i`ve caught loads years ago,you will only get young uns any way. all the above baits will work its all about letting it get over confident, dont even set the trap just give it freebies, then the 1st time you set it bingo.i once had what turned out to be a n old vicky it was so cute it would pull the cradle up instead of standing on it. i reveresed the way it worked so when it pulled it up the trap would go off but no i still could`nt catch it. i said when i get it i think i will let it go that did`nt happen, the rest is history cubs are the best to catch they just cant stay out. digger mi patterdale could`nt wait for daylight. :good:

Edited by abiteachuck

• 2 weeks later...

SSS

Have you had any luck, I don't see why pretty much any of the bait mentioned should not work, but Charlie is a cunning animal, sometimes quick (usually the young or sick) but cage trapping him can be a frustrating and time consuming business.

I usually find a bit of research, then regular baiting, and a pre arranged appointment with a rifle often produces faster results! :unsure:

ATB!!

Dekers, I would agree with you mate. The first week it was set, it was set off, but cunning fox managed to get out, and I really don't know how.

Today, I went to the trap and it had caught, but not charlie, I had a crow in it. So I knocked together a larsen trap and he is in there now as a call bird.

So far, no foxes, but I have put fresh pigeon in the trap today, and with luck it might work ;)

I Would Agree with Dekers, reserch, Most Importaint!!! , then bait the same time and spot daily, dog food has worked well for me with a mix of dead pigeons and rabbits to give foxy a nice change. also I use a nice metal big feed bowl and give it a good rattle Each time you leave the bait, also leave out water and some straw under a small shelter for him to have a nice kip after his supper!,( yes you did read right and several times ive caught them asleep in the straw!). You almost get the feeling you are being watched as I leave the bait ;) !

Then wait a suitable distance away, a short wait and usualy 'Bingo'

Rifle or shotgun depending on distance. Dont realy have the time to spend half the night out with the lamp, so bring them to you and in your own time. Got 12 so far this year using this method.

Mate of mine has a large fox cage trap and has built an inner smaller cage and puts a live chicken in, with food water etc, He swops chicken for another every 2 or 3 days so chicken does not get too bored.

Seems to work well but not sure about using live bait but the chicken does survive eventhough it may be slightly traumatised!

Best Wishes

Pippin Pup

Edited by Pippin pup

the best bait is a real smelly pheasant covered in old chip oil works every time beleive you me GIVE IT A TRY LET ME KNOW YOUR RESULTS :)

+1 for the smelly pheasant and chip oil. I've also used a well ripe rabbit.

The big problem with the manufactured live catch traps is they don't make them long enough. You need the fox well inside the trap to allow the door to drop and lock before they can retreat. I make mine out or 2" concrete reinforcing mesh cut to the required size and wired together with fencing wire. The trip latch is made from scrap sheet steel. Each one costs me less than a £10. Door weight is a bit of old scaffold pole filled with concrete for extra weight and speed of opperation