Potential Fraud/Scammer Warning

leftandright

I am posting this item because I do not want anybody else to get scammed by a family who are running several scams on shooting forums. I will also keep you updated as I go through the HM Courts and Tribunals process to recover my hard earned money.

Last month, I responded to advertisements for three air rifles being sold by Lez Graham of Gloucestershire. Unfortunately, I fell for his sob story about needing cash to put down on a deposit as he had just split up from his partner. He gave me the bank details of Ms Sophie Gibbs (as he did not have a bank account) who I assumed was his new girlfriend. I was to deposit the cash and when he had made sure that he had the funds he would send me the rifles. Days went by and, yes, you’ve guessed it, the rifles did not arrive.

I managed to obtain the mobile telephone number of Ms Gibbs and had countless text messages from her to which I replied. Some of these text messages got quite nasty and she even had the audacity to accuse me of trying to scam money out of her. She eventually said that she would repay the money but it would take a little while as she had to borrow it from friends and family. Having waited several days, I sent Ms. Gibbs a Registered Letter demanding the return of my money within 7 days. This was taken in and signed for at the address I had on file for Ms Gibbs.

I was then notified by Paypal of four separate payments into my Paypal account covering the total amount due. This was paid in by three different people (1) Brett Morrison (2) Mark Bedford and (3) James Farmer. Paypal initially withheld the monies but now they have sent the payments back to Mark Bedford and James Farmer (Paypal described these men as “not honest people”) and they are still making inquiries into Brett Morrison. Thankfully, my wife and I kept all the text messages to and from Ms. Sophie Gibbs plus e-mails to and from Lez Graham and also Stephen Graham (who we now believe is Ms Gibbs’ partner).

I gave Ms. Gibbs more than sufficient time to repay the money but now communications have ceased and no one is replying to my e-mails, text messages or voicemails. I have therefore got in touch with the Police who are very interested in this case as they have come across the Grahams before. In conjunction with this I have now opened formal legal proceedings against them. I have submitted a claim with Money Claim Online - a Government operation run by HM Courts and Tribunal Service. I was advised to do this by another member Oly who had been scammed by the Grahams in April. The Court ruled in his favour and ordered David Graham to pay the money immediately, and at the stage of Oly instructing baliffs he got all his money back from the scammers, plus the Court expenses.

Leftandright

Edited by leftandright

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread has been authorised by Teal and a lot of actions have taken place behind the scenes to assist anyone who has been scammed and prevent similar events happening.

It is an ongoing process.

It should be mentioned that every sizable shooting Forum has been affected, plus other similar sales outlets.

This thread has been authorised by Teal and a lot of actions have taken place behind the scenes to assist anyone who has been scammed and prevent similar events happening.

It is an ongoing process.

It should be mentioned that every sizable shooting Forum has been affected, plus other similar sales outlets.

It's good to see that our Moderators are on the ball with this sort of thing! Well done guys! :good:

Absolutely, we (Pigeon Watch) are aware of it, and I have now spoken with the police force who are dealing with this case. I am awaiting a call back so that I can give further details, names/phone numbers/dates/times/IP Addresses. We have taken this unprecedented step of allowing leftandright to post up his experiences, because it seems that they are running numerous scams on the internet, something which the police are taking seriously (the Grahams are known to them).

Until the money is repaid, I am going to pin this topic to make everyone aware of the situation. It is likely to go on for some time, with the Court judgement ultimately enforceable by baliffs. Hopefully the scammers will realise that it makes sense to return the money before it gets to that stage. The longer this goes on for the larger the amount owed will become, with additional baliff/associated court costs etc. incurred, automatically being added to the money owed.

I think alarm bells should start the moment someone says "I don't have a bank account". It's is hard on a few but the risk of something going horribly wrong to just too high to risk further dealings with "bankless" folk.

I got done by a member on here earlier this year :angry:

Some of the scams have involved Bank Transfers , you might be surprised to know that your Bank will not get your money back if there are any problems, such as the goods not being forthcoming.

It becomes a dispute between you and the Seller, the Bank is not interested.

For the sale of guns, RFDNet has got to be the best idea.

Its surprising how much money we are prepared to send to someone we don't know, for something we haven't seen, all on trust.

simply the safest way is face to face when you weigh up the costs with expensive gear its not worth it. I simply wouldn't buy a shotgun without at least trying it first which you have to do face to face. If something looks too much of a bargain it usually is, obviously this involved airguns which make it far easier. Generally someone with a SGC or FAC is not going to scam you if you have proof they do have one. If they do then you have a pretty good idea where they live etc. I've travelled 200 miles for a rifle before ok tagged it onto other stuff but you don't get any problems and you get what you want pay cash buyer and seller happy.

The other thing to watch are new unknown members with stuff to sell, cheap stuff you can take a punt on expensive gear no way.

Slightly off post , maybe people who sell stuff should get some kind of feedback next to there user name ? because the bad tarnish us all

thats wat iv done every one iv sold and bought from to leave a comment about how i was with them wood hate to tard with same

brush as them vermin so now every one on here can trust ill send them cash or goods asap :yes:

I hope it's resolved without litigation for you.

Bear in mind that the sort of people who do this kind of thing also have scant regard for a county court order to pay up. If it goes that far and they don't pay I suggest you immediately place the collection in the hands of a high court bailiff. I did this after a defendant not paying a court order for about three months, it didn't cost me a penny (and only would have cost me fifty quid if they had failed to collect) and the bailiff collected costs, interest and the initial debt in just one visit.

Just something to file away should you need it. Hopefully you won't.