Sako quad extraction fix

ferretmanabu

I have a sako quad in .22lr which extracts and ejects fired shells no problem, but will not grip on unfired shells. This is a bit annoying because it means at the end of the night I have to either fire one into the ground or use a penknife to get the live round out (tricky at night).

I've done a search and there were a couple of post by John Galway and Dave G about fixing it, though all of John's post seem to have disappeared. My question was, which part of the extractor claw do I need to file to make sure it grips the rounds? If you're looking down on the bolt in the assembled position, is it the right hand side of it, or the most forward part of it or the left hand part which grips the case?

Thanks.

The ejector claw gets enough grip on the larger diameter rims of the HMR and WMR but the part of the claw that does the ejecting doesn't get quite deep enough behind the smaller diameter rim of the LR case. Part of the claw bears against the bottom of the slot in the breech stopping the point of the claw from reaching in behind the rim far enough. File it to acheive what my photo shows.

QuadClaw.jpg

The credit for that actually goes to John-G because he first turned me towards it, I forget where he got the info from - possibly a non uk forum I think. Shame I had to return it for a ream out before I got to the real problem. The reaming did do some good because it meant the case was a little easier to pull but I still had to faff about a few times. I have never had a problem with it since.

It's an even bigger shame that this little issue brings so much negative experience to an otherwise superb rifle. Both the manufacturer and importer ought to know better.

• 5 years later...