Red Stag shot in Chelmsford

tomhw100

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I maybe wrong but the usual criteria for hunting/shooting is a long list as in justifying taking an animals life, can anyone think of ANY other reason other than he shot it just because he wanted the trophy??

I hope it makes sense.

your absolutley right...it is completley unjustifiable he done it for his own filthy pleasure god know how old that animal was and its life was snuffed out just so that *** can have a head on its wall how could you even justify it talking to people when they see it?: "lovely trophy i bet you had a wonderful stalk in the Highlands"^ "no i shot it in Essex less than 10 miles from Basildon dont you know" well done mate well done...

Happens all too often with deer that appear in isolation, escaped reds, wandering roe etc. 99 'hunters' may see them, enjoy looking at them and hope they become established, all it take is 'hunter' #100 to think, I'll have that, and bang its gone and no chance of a viable population becoming established. Reds are there most vulnerable, their hatracks often lead to a very limited life span unless they have a very large sanctuary area to spend there entire lives on.

There is a nice herd relatively close to me that fortunately is now well established and can withstand culling, it lives on a large nature reserve but as soon as a big stag steps off it they are queuing up to shoot it. I say stags as they never bother with the hinds, plenty of them, but its the hatracks they want, and are prepared to pay big money for. I was down in the New Forest a couple of years ago and the stalker told me of all the Reds they had in the forest there were only two mature big lads left, all the others had been shot by trophy hunters. There was at that time an agreement among the various landowners and stalkers to leave them be but all it takes is the animal to step off the 'safe' land and one bullet.

Reds are indigenous the the UK (that includes Essex). Humans have taken away their habitat and pocketed them in smaller areas. However, there are more deer in in the UK; especially England, than there have been for a couple of centuries.

I used to live in Colchester 20 years ago and can tell you for a fact that seeing Red deer just north of there was not uncommon. Deer will and do migrate but find it difficult when there is insufficient cover to do so over open ground or over built up areas!

That Red was taken lawfully. The fact that you see a "king" pigeon that was magnificent wouldn't stop you from shooting it I would suggest, or a rabbit, a hare, a fox or other lawful quarry. Deer cause more damage to crops than foxes do each year, yet the majority of us don't think twice about dispatching foxes and then remarking how large/magnificent the beast was and publishing photos of the kill.

I would hope for more balanced and open minded views from fellow shooters.

Edited by OldBill

Given the Reds in Suffolk there must be a good reason why the haven't drifted south in any number. Anyone know why?

Habitat and range . They need lots of mixed woodland . There are plenty in Norfolk and they like to wander in the pine forests and feed out on the arable .

Harnser .

Reds are indigenous the the UK (that includes Essex). Humans have taken away their habitat and pocketed them in smaller areas. However, there are more deer in in the UK; especially England, than there have been for a couple of centuries.

I used to live in Colchester 20 years ago and can tell you for a fact that seeing Red deer just north of there was not uncommon. Deer will and do migrate but find it difficult when there is insufficient cover to do so over open ground or over built up areas!

That Red was taken lawfully. The fact that you see a "king" pigeon that was magnificent wouldn't stop you from shooting it I would suggest, or a rabbit, a hare, a fox or other lawful quarry. Deer cause more damage to crops than foxes do each year, yet the majority of us don't think twice about dispatching foxes and then remarking how large/magnificent the beast was and publishing photos of the kill.

:stupid:

Edited by Vipa

It seems a bit unusual that a shooter feels outraged about something getting shot. That is unless he's strictly a paper puncher - in which case I kind of understand it - but can't get my head around someone who ONLY uses a gun to punch paper.

Not being into deer, would it be right to say that if it was such a magnificent beast it may be past it's prime and going downhill healthwise, and more prone to disease?

Edited by Dave-G

Nah, it show that some on here have what would would be called ethics,

In my mind an anology be would be having a pair of blackgrouse appear on a hill farm, the nearest other blackgrouse are twenty miles away. Joe bloggs sees them, his mates see them, they all think how nice, hope they breed. Now Fred Bloggs also sees them, knows that they are the nearest of their kind for a considerable distance but thinks I want one and goes and shoots the cock bird. Not illegal at all, but it does not stop Fred Bloggs from being a complete pricket for doing so.

Edited by scolopax

If he is a trophy hunter, he most likely is from a different area and wont know what deer are about..That would be down to his guide, so unless all the facts are known you cant blame the shooter, he is just doing a sport he and many others enjoy.

If I could afford it and was on a shoot and the guide said I could take it, I would..He is the one who should be managing and know the land.

I live within ten mins of were this stag was shot. It's a bloody shame this **** decided to shoot this semi tame deer that had escaped a few years ago. There was four roaming about for some time and most of the land owners around liked to see them. I personaly no three land owners who are very keen stalkers them sellfs that had them on there ground and had left them in hope they would breed with the handful of hinds that are about. Bit with people like this mr Jarvis this just won't happen as all they see is a big head and pound sighns. I have walked up to these deer within thirty feet when they were standing in a road one day what a superb stalker mr Jarvis must be what an impressive feet to shoot a semi tame deer.