Butchering Pigeons

Paddy

I had my first real afternoon decoying on Friday and had 12 for two hours. The first hour I was the best pigeon scarer ever I had 20 shots for no birds! Then all of a sudden I couldn't miss. I had 12 birds for 15 shots and even one pair for both barrells! Anyway how do you butcher these birds? Any suggestions are welcome!

Paddy

I find the best way is to just take the breasts off. Peel the skin back and slice down either side of the breast bone, work your knife to the head end, scrape at the wish bone, slice a little further round. This should give you enough to hold on to then pull away from the bird, pulling the breast waay from the bird. Hope this is of a little help

Well done Paddy,

I find the way Craigie describes is the best way too, I do it without the knife though. Just twist both wings off at the shoulder. Lift up the breast bone with your thumb, then (if you're right handed) hold the bird in your left hand and the breast in your right hand and rip 'em apart. Throw the body away and keep the breast. This can be done in only a few seconds and is ideal for use in the field.

:)  :)