Webley & Scott 'Classic' Shotgun - anyone know about them?

debrovnik

I've been hunting for a new shotgun for a while now - I've come across numerous adverts on guntrader for Webley & Scott 'Classic' 12 bores, between £400 and £500 new.

The thing is, I've been to the Webley website and can't find any information on them :stupid: Does anyone have any experience with them?

Any information would be hugely appreciated! :hmm:

Ok - I've found out a little bit more - apparently they use the same action as the 912G...

I've seen them offered at £395 with hard case, 5 chokes and lifetime warrenty - which does seem quite good.

I'm seriously considering this for my first gun - I know the above poster thinks that I could get better second hand for £500, but would I get better for £395?

If anyone could shed some more light on build quality etc that would be awsome!

Thanks,

Mike

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Mike Re Webley & Scott 'Classic' Shotgun I have had one for the last 6 months & i also paid £395 with a full set of chokes & 3 yr waranty. As for quality i found it very good, & but the gun is VERY heavy.

Unfortunatly me & the gun didn't fit well together & after several poor outingings to my local clay ground a guy watching me spotted the problem, & said the comb of the stock is very high, therefore when i mount the gun my line of sight is looking down on the top of the barrel instead of along it resulting in me shooting way over the top of everything.

I then asked the advise of another gunshop i deal with & he confirmed exactly the same, (heavy & high stock)

I took the gun back to where i bought it on Tuesday this week & traded it back in against an 18month old Beretta AL391 Urika, the diference in the fit was unbelevable.

Now don't get me wrong there was nothing wrong with the gun, it just didn't fit me, but on reflection i think the othe guy who replied to your post (windknot) is right when he said you can get more gun for £500 if you buy used. It has just cost me an extra £200 to trade up to the Beretta but its in a diferent league & more important i can shoot with it.

Hope this helps.

Regards John

"Power is nothing - accuracy is everything!"

don,t be fooled into thinking that they are good quality because they say webley and scott on them a turkish firm brought the name when the company went bust and use it to sell cheap turkish guns here.

there are loads of 2nd hand shotguns out there for the same money and most will be better quality than the turkish stuff,look for a clean lanber or the like.

• 1 month later...

I received two emails, one from the US importer regarding the 700-series stating it was made in Italy by Fausti. I received a second email, from Webley that states the following:

"Thank you for your enquiry.

The answer is yes! - the models 800 and 900 are made for us in Turkey

whilst models 700, 1000 and 2000 are made for us in Italy.

Best Wishes,

..."

I don't know if that helps answer anything about your 900 question; however, it helped me understand. I read on here and other forums that Webley shotguns are Turkish and it appears only the 800 and 900 models are Turkish, and the others are Italian made guns.

IIRC the 2000 series are made by Zoli, and they are good guns- I was impressed with the one I shot.

As an aside, I handled a 920 on Saturday- very interesting. It's meant as a youth/ ladies' gun, and the stock reflects this. LOP is around 14" or so and the drop at the heel was 45mm or as near as (I didn't measure), so this could be a good way into shooting for your significant other or a youngster, especially if you can get it for a decent price. The quality is still the same as before- the wood had good figure for a budget gun, but needed some oil desperately- it was very dry. And the aesthetics on the action still reminds me of a Chinese Remington razor knock-off I once owned, albeit briefly. But the gun's owner was very happy with the way it shot, and I imagine his daughter's going to like it even more.

Jakes