Irish Water Spaniel

webber

I have never owned a dog, not that I have not wanted one, but my work commitments and health have lead to my reasoning that it would be unfair on the dog. I am however starting to make long term plans for early retirement. Sadly, if I dont retire early, I probably wont retire at all.

I appreciate that the popular shooting dogs are ESS and Labs, but years ago at a game fare I crossed paths with an Irish Water Spaniel, and it was almost love at first sight. I was well impressed by the dogs ability and felt that the dog oozed character, and was different to the run of the mill dogs, no ofence intended to anyone.

I wondered if any members had an Irish Water Spaniel, and if so what have been your experiences good and bad. I must stress that I am not currently ready to take on a dog, but am starting to do my research.

webber

I would imagine that the Irish water spaniel (IWS?) could be amongst the minority gundog breeds classed as at risk by the KC. There will be dogs around but probably few, maybe this mob can help you http://www.siwsc.org.uk/ ?

Looks a bit like a labradoodle and high maintenance on the grooming front. I know nothing of how trainable / biddable they are but there is a reason why 'everyone' has labs and springers :good: That said, with the correct breeding and training, they could make excellent working dogs.

Edited by gdunc

I met a chap near Clifton in Connemara on a sea trout fishing trip about 20 years ago, who had two.

They are mainly retrievers and don't naturally hunt.

He used them for retrieving ducks and geese mainly and as you would guess they are very strong swimmers.

I was surprised how big they are and they appeared to be very strong willed.

They are the only ones I think I have ever seen.

Good for you, Webber, doing your homework early on. Search high and low and ye shall find. May be beyond Blighty or trans-Atlantic in locating a quality pup, but one's out there with your name on it, and the working IWS outfit referred to earlier is a fine start. Let me be explicit: All gundog breeds have a worthiness about them, otherwise they would not have survived into the present. And the ones that have faltered are worthy of having their fate revived--take a look here http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/item/808 .

Sure, the demands on and expectations of these dogs have changed, and some breeds have superseded others both in popularity and practical use. But the original intent for their working status remains in even the rarest of breeds. That could be the IWS, the Spanish water dog, the Lagotto Romagnolo, or indigenous to you, the Sussex spaniel.

08GemFlash.jpg

Sussex are not even supposed to be retrievers at all, har-har. Only got the biggest gob of any gundog, how could they not be if trained up to it? Would you think, from the tailset and its sweep, that this one enjoys her work?

As it happens, I have seen a few biddable IWS and their movement afield is a joy. They are good markers and get to the bird quickly. Their jolly temperament is another boon. But again let me be explicit: They want training. If you work with them, as with any gundog, they will respond and show their stuff. With an IWS--their gait getting onto a bird, the exquisite coat, the striking rattail--that can be mighty showy indeed.

MG

Friend of mine got an IWS after some years of having springers.

He was a beautiful dog, with a very good nature. To say the obvious, he was entirely different training-wise compared to springers. He was a very slow learner, and late developer, and would often stand there with a puzzled look on his face as if to say "Not quite sure what you want me to do - please tell me again for the 10th time".

Once my mate accepted these 'limitations' he got on very well with the dog, and entered it for several trials.

But to repeat, they are different, both in nature and training needs.

Don

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Webber,

I have an IWS (my second), and it is a wonderful breed. For me it was love at first sight, but then I did a bit of homework and visited a few breeders one in my own country and a few in UK, before I got my first dog some years ago. I have never regretted my choise of breed. They are not easy, but if you want it to work and put in a little effort, you will be fine. You get a lot back - both in terms of affection and loyalty and not least entertainment! I read a few replies saying that the IWS is not very intelligent. They are in fact among the 10 most intelligent breeds according to a survey I read. Mine have been very quick learners, but you have to make training interesting - they are easily bored. If you make sure that you are their favorite person, they will do anything for you and will be eager to please you. I do not hunt, but I have heard from many who do that they make excellent and very versatile gundogs. It has also been said that they require a lot of grooming. If you keep on top of the job, it is not all that bad. I brush my IWS once a week and he has a bath about once a month and a 'haircut' every two month. If you neglect the coat, it will mat and then you may have a problem. If you brush regularly it will take about 20 minutes. Irish Water Spaniels have a great personality and it helps if owners have a sense of humour. They love to be part of the family and to participate in everything you do. If you want your dog to obey you instantly and be quiet and very obedient all the time, then an IWS is not for you. If you are a keen, active and devoted dog owner who puts the dog's needs first, and you like a dog who has his own opinion on things then you may be just the right owner for an Irish Water Spaniel. Make sure to find the right breeder. Some lines may be a bit reserved, others (like mine) are very outgoing.

After a twenty year break I'm onto my second IWS, the first was a good retriever and pet, handled well, VERY soft mouth and biddable. The second is from Mr Basil MacMahon's bitch in Dublin by one of Mr Eddie Lennons dogs. She is 12 months old this week, she is retrieving, (a bit sloppy on the hand over with dummies, but not birds) , stopping to the whistle, working on blinds out to 50 metres and starting to handle out to the left and right via hand signals.

She picked 5 birds on the last day of the season, her first day, no problem.

Their sense of smell is outstanding! They are not hunters like spaniels, but will hunt just as some Labradors will.

She will want to participate in your life; I like this, some people don't.

Make sure you get a working strain, even if you need to get one from Ireland as I did.

I would definitely not keep an Irish Water Spaniel in a kennel. They thrive on human (and canine) company and need to be a member of the family. They will work better for you that way. I know there are excellent working dogs in Ireland, but a few breeders in England do specialize in breeding from working lines. Through my membership of IWSA I know of at least two, you might like to contact. Goldenacre and Stanegate. I don't know any of them personally. My dog is from kennel Doonbeg, who breed from show stock and with emphasis on good temperament and good health. I am sure you could find excellent hunters even from show stock, but it may be a bit of a gamble. If you haven't already, I would recommend you to get in touch with the IWSA. They publish a yearbook which you may find informative. Good luck!

Hello Webber,

I have four working Irish Water Spaniels and have been very interested in some of the comments you have received, some pretty good, others way off the mark.

A good IWS hunts better than a Labrador and retrieves better than a Springer. The guy who says they don't hunt is way off, in France where they are allowed to run as Spaniels (they are classified as retrievers in the UK) one was made up as a Field Trial Champion (running against Springers) about a year ago, although in my opinion they do make better retrievers than spaniels, simply because of their size.

In the 1980s a couple were made up as retriever field trial champions in Ireland and several qualified for the Irish Retriever Championship.

The IWS is a quality gun dog but like any gundog it has to be trained properly to get the best out of it. They are very biddable but are extremely intelligent which means if your training is repetitive & boring they will switch off & can give the impression of being stupid, they're not, they're just bored. If you're used to training a Lab, these guys will be a real eye opener.

These days they are a multi purpose gun dog used for a variety of tasks including rough shooting, beating, picking up, wildfowling & even deer stalking. My main dog has been used for almost everything from Snipe to Canada geese whilst I also use them for beating.

They do have a very unique personality so do take some getting used to and they can be wilful and stubborn but if you're looking for something different, but very capable, you could do far worse.

The Sporting Irish Water Spaniel Club Sporting Irish Water Spaniel Club

You may also like to have a look at these photos taken as part of a magazine article for Sporting Shooter magazine, of a group of 4 IWS picking up on a partridge shoot. Nick Ridley IWS photos

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Webber

I've been breeding, working and trialing IWSs for 34 years. I have a website at www.irishwaterspaniels.biz where you can learn and read loads about the breed and our kennel. Much of the recent information you have been fed is spot on. Whoever said they hunt better than a Lab and retrieve better than a Springer pinched that quote from me! They are slow to mature and don't want to start real training until about 18 months. I trial them in France in spaniel trials and have won 18 awards, including 3 1sts in the past 5 years. They have the best nose of any breed. They do vary a lot and you do need to do your homework bigtime. There are occasional health and temperament issues that you need to watch out for. If you contact me through my website, I would be happy to give you a working demonstration at anytime.

Best wishes. Cúboglach.