hilton gun company??

bicykillgaz

i own a hilton o/u ss trigger with ejectors but can't find any info at all on the net about them or on wiki or anywhere for that matter, all it says on gun is the hilton gun company and made in italy and obviously proof marks, i bought it second hand and have no idea of the age of the gun , has any ever heard of them or do you have one? can you pm me with any info you may have, thanks

Edited by gazgainsborough

• 3 months later...
i own a hilton o/u ss trigger with ejectors but can't find any info at all on the net about them or on wiki or anywhere for that matter, all it says on gun is the hilton gun company and made in italy and obviously proof marks, i bought it second hand and have no idea of the age of the gun , has any ever heard of them or do you have one? can you pm me with any info you may have, thanks

I have one but can't find a trace.

i've sold mine since i posted the thread to a chap called rocko from the forum i've still not been able to find anything on them, i was surprised really as i really like the gun it was a good solid pointable gun seemed a nice well made bit of kit yet your the only other person i've ever spoken too who's had one does yours look like this

post-18953-1263944639.jpg

post-18953-1263944670.jpg

post-18953-1263944684.jpg

post-18953-1263944699.jpg

post-18953-1263944714.jpg

Pretty sure its the latter. I remember the adverts well enough. My recollection is that they were around later than the the 80s but I can't be sure. They possibly went under when mail order was banned, a lot of these sort of people did because they relied almost totally on mail order to sell their guns.

Its almost certainly a renamed Italian made gun. Well thought of as I remember at the time.

If you can get hold of any old copies of Shooting Times, or if anybody on here has any and can help out, you should be able to find an advert at least. I think they advertised in Guns Review as well

Edited by Vince Green

cheers guys i've looked all over on the web and found nothing asked in every gunshop that i've been in and no one really knew anything the most i got was 'yeah i've heard of em' and that was it, i've no longer got it now but it was a nice gun i'd have another if i came across one for a reasonable price.

cheers again

atb gary

HILTON GUN COMPANY

11A DALE END RD.

HILTON

DERBYSHIRE

and/or

Hilton Gun Company Limited

60 & 62 Station Road

Hatton

Derbyshire

DE6 5EL

They held several patents including one which is listed as "FIREARM FOR FIRING AMMUNITION OF DIFFERENT CALIBER". Sako Quad?

They also made a grenade launcher called the HG40 in 40mm. It was some kind of addon but I cant find out for what.

Best I could do and you probably knew it anyway. Soz.

Edit: Companies House dont have records covering anything prior to 1992, but records will exist if you want to contact them.

Edited by notsosureshot

• 1 year later...

Seeing the reference to the Hilton Gun Company brings back memories to when I was an apprentice gunmaker at Boss & Co Ltd from the middle 1970's. I remember going to a game fair with my Director, Jack Rennie who was friendly with John Harness, the proprietor of the Hilton Gun Company who were based in Hatton in Derbyshire. I met John and from what I remember, John Harness was a car dealer, who could well have come from an engineering background, and as far as I was aware, just imported guns. I don't believe they manufacture any. I do remember that they imported Nikko and they had some commercial arrangement with Piotti. They are worth a look. Beautifully made gun, but I seem to remember that the outside of the barrels were a bit ripply. Jack Rennie died some years ago, so I suspect that John Harness is no longer with us too. I see from the web that John Harness filed some patents for some military type guns, so maybe he was more than just a car dealer.

• 8 months later...

I worked at The Hilton Gun Co for 5 years 86> 91 and may be able to confirm some of the speculation about the company .The O/U shotgun would have been imported from Italy .The Company did not make sporting firearms but did manufacture Anti-Riot Guns and 40mm Grenade Launchers for the 5 most popular Battle / Assault Rifles of the time . The Company stopped trading in April 1991 , it had a sporting retail shop , repair's workshop / machine shop, wholesale company and security sale's ( police and security forces ). John Harness was a car dealer that moved from car sales to importing guns and retailing , he was not an engineer .The patents for "FIREARM FOR FIRING AMMUNITION OF DIFFERENT CALIBER" was for the Anti-Riot Gun that the company made. It was a 38mm Baton round but had insert's for 38mm Flare , 1" Flare , 12G Shotgun and .223 /5.56mm Nato and later a 38mm Rifled barrel and a 40mm Rifled Grenade barrel was made . The HG 40 was an under slung 40mm Grenade Launcher fitted to SA80 ( see attachment ) M16 , AK47 , Steyr AUG and G3 Rifles. The Company had many string to its bow but for many reasons mainly a lack of sale's and large development cost's for the HG40 the bank said that was enough and the Company was no more . I had a good 5 years and was very sad to see it finish , hope this is of some use ,cheers.

post-50385-0-62845900-1320955373.jpg

• 7 months later...

I own a gun identical to the one pictured barrels 28 sst ejectors choke 1/4 and 1/2 bought for well under £200 it is the first gun I bought and to be honest if it continues to be reliable I don't think I will ever get rid. Has some very nice detail including the top lock that disengages when gun is broken. As far as the info I have on them they were an import made by rizzini. I haven't had anyone yet all be sceptical at first that once they have fired it have had a bad word to say about it.if your a brand snob it ain't for you if you aint fussed it's a nice thing to use.

To add I had a "Midland gun co 5/802 OU very much like OU pictured, it was made by sabatti in Italy and has the distinctive cross bolt action I have seen the same gun in many names and specs single and double trigger fixed and multichoke

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...