Best / Worst Gun shop in N.Ireland

Ballymac

Hi guys from Norn Iron was reading a thread about poor service from gun shops and made me think about it. I have had mixed experiences from the small number of guys that I have dealt with. Who would you recommend or who would you avoid?

I will start the ball rolling, I have bought from McCloys in Toome and found them very good, but are a bit far too travel to for carts etc.I would use them again if buying a gun/rifle, they seem to have a good supply of decoys, clothing etc but no experience of buying those type of things.

My local dealer is in Moy and it is very hit and miss with supplies and prices.He always seems to be getting what you want the next week. I had a 20 bore shotgun a few years ago and had to replace it as they could not get a regular supply of cartridge at a fair price. I just got frustrated not being able to get cartridges when I needed them and they are the closest to me that I knew of at that time.

I recently bought 250 carts no 6 32 grm pigeon special at a cost of £53. it has been a while from I dealt with him and thought this was expensive. Have had my quota increased so I can buy 1000 carts at any one time, so if anyone can point me in a better direction?

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would use Mc Cloys as well. Theres dealers about Dungannon as well. I have been in a fair few guns shops. Heard there a man thats keen prices in Arboe

The ardboe dealer is Declan Scullion, lough shore gun supplies, i have his number if interested. I got 250 fiochi 32g for £43 now i thought this was ok, others might not.

Heres a few that ive dealt with

Tannyoky near poyntzpass are good, very large stock of everything (and clay ranges to try out new guns) but a bit on the expensive side

Smyths in Newry are hit and miss, only have a small selection of guns and ammo in stock now (but can still find a good bargain) if youre looking clothes or fishing equipment, etc, thats the place (ps theyre decent enough with ordering in stuff if youre stuck, but watch out for old jack himself - pray you get him in a nice mood)

Shootin Shak in Newry, went to them when they opened and hadnt got their rfd licence, spent ages waiting for them to get it and ended up buying the guns from Tannyoky instead. from what ive heard theyre more into the airsoft side of the market than anything else, but now got their rfd cert.

Willis Hardware in Markethill are good, Mervyn knows his stuff (he started me shooting when i was in the scouts); only thing i will say is the stock is limited, and dont be expecting to get shells heavier than a 4, and tactical style stuff is a no no with him :good:

Final one i cant remember the name, but its near dungannon (got a snooker table place in the same shop?) id avoid it like the plague! been in it twice, first time they didnt have the keys to the gun room, second time i bought a variable magnification hawke scope off them - when i got home i realised the bloke had only been messing about with the focus ring when he showed me, and it was fixed mag of 6!! :blink:

burkes in coleraine usualy have a good selection of stuff as long as you get the old man himself and not that dirty pedo son of his ??? , there"s mcullough guns 1 mile from me so i mostly deal with him he has plenty of guns in stock but can be hit or miss with his shells always plenty in but seems to stock 1 brand this month then gets a different brand next month, was up at young guns in magherafelt getting the .22 hornet and he seems to have a good enough we shop

burkes in coleraine usualy have a good selection of stuff as long as you get the old man himself and not that dirty pedo son of his ??? , there"s mcullough guns 1 mile from me so i mostly deal with him he has plenty of guns in stock but can be hit or miss with his shells always plenty in but seems to stock 1 brand this month then gets a different brand next month, was up at young guns in magherafelt getting the .22 hornet and he seems to have a good enough we shop

yea Burke is good to deal with. Heres 1 far away Harpers in Maguiresbridge lol

Have bought nearly all my guns from Hollow Farm Shooting grounds in Comber, and bought my rifle from Loughview Guns Downpatrick, can't really complain about the service in any of the dealers i've used over here, but found McCloys a bit pricey and also the staff were a bit pushy and not keen on letting you browse in paece! I buy most of my clothing and decoys online as it;s far cheaper! And also will be considering buying any guns in the future from the mainland and have them shipped over as even after shipping the prices are so much keener, i would prefer to support my local dealer but money talks as they say!!!

i can`t understand how anyone would think mccloys is good value.have you saw his prices??? i very seldom go past von harkness.he looks after me and gives me good service.he s running his stock down as he is only opening 2 days a week now.crawford sports in maghers seems very reasonable and a lot cheaper than turpin in toome.gordon uel in hollow farm seems a nice bloke.i bought my beretta there earlier this season

Final one i cant remember the name, but its near dungannon (got a snooker table place in the same shop?) id avoid it like the plague! been in it twice, first time they didnt have the keys to the gun room, second time i bought a variable magnification hawke scope off them - when i got home i realised the bloke had only been messing about with the focus ring when he showed me, and it was fixed mag of 6!! :good:

Dealt with this shop a couple of years ago Babby. It's known as The Gun Shop or Conway Bros.

At that time they were selling Fiocchi cartridges for £80.00 a thousand, an offer I just couldn't refuse.

However, I haven't been back since.

Like GW80 I have bought most of my guns at Hollow Farm, two from Loughview Guns and one from Orchard Guns in

Armagh and I have been happy with the service I received.

The current cheap cartridges I buy are Express 24 gram steel 7.5 at £26.50 for 250.

And I recently bought some Express 28 gram lead 7.5 fibre wad at £32.00 for 250.

I don't really subscribe to the customer loyalty scheme, but phone around for the best price.

I still have enough 5s and 6s left to have a crack at the crows and pigeons when I can get out.

Rob :good:

I have to agree with babby smiths in Newry or Lisburn is great for anything fishing, Outdoor Experience in Portadown is great for fishing and shooting clothing and cheap as well i should also say he will match internet prices,i would say Mcil duffs are a bit dear that maybe because hes not open that long and he cant get stuff as cheap,on the other hand i would highly recommend Mc kerrs good prices for carts and guns and Steven in the shop is fair and honest.

The good thing about McCloy's is they're open to begin with and you can ring them and the boys know what they have in stock. No messin around. Frigged if I'm drivin toToome on a wild goose chase.

I was recommended to go to Beattie around carrick somewhere but haven't made it to him yet. Anyone any experience?

I was recommended to go to Beattie around carrick somewhere but haven't made it to him yet. Anyone any experience?

Glensman I believe this is C.F. Beattie of Ballycarry.

Ballycarry is a small village near Kilroot power station.

I have bought cartridges from them a couple of times at a good price.

I always ring them to check prices before making the journey and have found them to be very helpful.

Rob.

anyone dealt with a gunshop ont he dungannon road out of portadown? think theres a shooting school at it too, cant remember the guys name but he's supposed to be a great gunsmith, a couple of people recommended me to go to him to get a new pin for the 500 :good:

Foymore its called I have shot a few clays there before

Hi Babby the one near Portadown is Foyemore Lodge and the the guy who runs it (the bigger of two) its his father who is the gunsmith. Had a new spring made for a 40+yr old gun by him. He does the jobs other people cant and wont be bothered doing. It is a real experience to see his workshop.

The other shop that was Conways was rented out to another guy. Dealt with them a few times but they are no longer trading, his brother used to post on here, so dont want to say too much but appartently they made a few mistakes, allegedly and no longer trade.

Robalex

The current cheap cartridges I buy are Express 24 gram steel 7.5 at £26.50 for 250

Do these have any stopping power, I know if you put them in the right place etc but heard reports that they have no killing power how do you find them and what do you shoot with them>

Edited by Ballymac