dog and mixy rabbit prob

darren m

heres the prob :- my lab ( jack ) as been fine , seemed to iron out all his probs , till now .

He,s been steady to rabbits for some time now , we can even walk right up to them .

but since the mixy as hit the land where i shoot , hes become a real *** .

The problem started 2 weeks ago , when i was not watching him and he got close to a mixyed rabbit , he bolted for it and caught it no problem ( i only send him for shot rabbits and this one did,nt move , so i think thats why he did it ).

BUT now he thinks he can run down any rabbit , and because he as caught 5 this last week all mixy's and they could,nt get away , he thinks that this is the way he should be and as taken to ignoreing my calls and whistle , thinking he knows best .

i need to know what punishment i should give him and what should i do to get him back on track , so he knows that its a definate no , no to chase these rabbits .

thanks all

Darren .

Keep him on the rope and if he tries this attack on the rabbits again you will be able to sort him out there and then.

It's no good giving him punishment if he has done wrong then come to you when asked as he'll think this is punishment for coming!

The rope is the only answer and you can even tempt him to go by walking him closer to these rabbits but when he makes his move bang you have him......

hi all i have to add is i had a problem like that and my head keeper showed me a great method

get some bungee sort ot rope say 10 ft tie a rabbit skin to thrope and stuff with a

load socks,peg down the other end of rope and pull back the skin when released

the skin will shoot across the ground like a rabbit you can then control your dog with voice comarnds untill he shows no intrest in the rabbit,,repeat for a few week,s and go back to it if it starts again,,,it worked great for me and lot,s of people i know,, try it