whats the best load for a moderated .410

right i would have generally thought the more lead the better so i would thought 3" no6/no7, but i was reading somewhere else that when using 3" carts that a lot of lead gets damaged by the barrel vent/ports causing shot to miss shape and not travel as far and something to do with a higher chamber pressure also.

i only ask as i've got some gamebore 65mm 11g no7 cartridges (3 full boxs) which i picked up from my local clay club which i am hoping to possible exchange for some 65mm 14g no6 lyalvale or similar i was also gonna stock up on some 3" but after read what i did thought i'd better see what other moderated .410 users are finding best, i'm off out for the first time in over a year shooting live stuff and want to make sure i'm killing them cleanly, i'm probably not gonna be shooting any further than 20/30yrds max untill i get back into the swing of it, but its gonna be bad enough having to contend with my poor shooting never mind inferior cartridges for the job too so i want to atleast know that there will be enough lead reaching the target.

Eley make a 18 gram 6 shot - 3 inch subsonic load, however the quietest seem to be the little 2 inch cartridges, but they dont really have the stopping power of the 3 inch.

Id stick to the 3 inch in either 6 or 7 shot, ive shot pheasants, pigeons & rabbits cleanly with both. I like the Eley ones best because there the only manufacturer that load these in fiber wad.

Hope this helps

Edited by henry c

not too worried about the noise as even the 3" aren't really that offensive, i just wanted to make sure i would be getting enough lead hitting the target, i didn't see the point in paying 3" subsonic prices if the shot wasn't all reaching where it should be due to alledgedly been damaged by the barrel vents.

if you've never found it a problem mate when i top up i'll just go with 3" standards, i always check the barrels clear so the plastic wads not really an issue. i've got a box of 3" eley subs left and just over 2 box's of 21/2" no6 14g lyalvale so i'll be fine for a couple of outings, i'll get rid of the no7s though as there only 11g and i think my farts have more stopping power! :good: they was a bit of an impulse buy after taking the baikal clay shooting i though may as well stock up while i was there but it was all they had!

i'm off out at about 6-6.30 in the morning so i'll post how i get on

cheers mate

Eley make a 18 gram 6 shot - 3 inch subsonic load, however the quietest seem to be the little 2 inch cartridges, but they dont really have the stopping power of the 3 inch.

Id stick to the 3 inch in either 6 or 7 shot, ive shot pheasants, pigeons & rabbits cleanly with both. I like the Eley ones best because there the only manufacturer that load these in fiber wad.

Hope this helps

pheasants with a moderated 410 mmmmmm

no not shooting an game with it just rabbit and the odd pigeon i'm gonna use what i've got and bite the bullet and fork out for somemore 3" eley subs there designed for it as pointed out so may as well use them.

thanks for all the replies guys all helpfull as usual ;)

gary

• 2 years later...

what sot size you using with that wight and whats your range like

I use 5 or 6 shot size any larger size and you will struggle to get 21 gram in a 410 case with a decent cork wad height ,As for range 25-30 max maybe more if you do your part accuracy wise.

This a blast from the past 2 years +.

Guest cookoff013

or do yourself a big favour and get a 28 g or even better a 20 bore :blink: if you are after game

just to add to this thread, if you are after "game" then certainly 20bore and 12bore are the better options, without being too unkind, 410s are very weak in there versatility, 5-6 shot in reality. where as even 20 can handle much bigger shot. and be more effective.

its really disconcerning when its thought a .410 would be more quiet than a 12gauge hushpower. when in reality, they are about the same. just the 12 can handle SGs and #12 shot.

the best load for a moderated .410 is the one that patterns.

I tend to use the Eley fibre wads in my Hushy.

I use both the 18grams in no6 in 3" subsonic and the 12.5 grams of no5 in 2 1/2" (not subsonic)

The 2 1/2 " seem quieter than the 3" subs to me and I take pigeon on the wing with them quite easily. They also flatten rabbits out to about 25 yards no twitching at all.

Guys,

On the post above about the .410 Hushpower being much the same as the 12G Hushpower, I can't agree having owned both. Both are Mossberg 500 Pumps and the .410 is way way quieter than the 12G, even on subtonics. I'm a Pest Controller and have since sold the 12G and kept the .410 due to the very quiet nature of the smaller gun. Yes it doesn't have the reach of the 12G but is perfect for the pigeon and squirrel situations I have to sort out.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

if its fully modded, a hushpower, you should only use fibre wads, as its the plastic wads that foul up on the barrel holes, not the lead

This is not entirely correct. I spoke to the manufacture of my Stealth (York Guns not Saddlery & Gun Room) and they recommend plastic wad for their silenced .410's. I found the best to be Lyalvale plaswad 3" jobs.

Even the new Hushpowers will handle plaswads and it was only ever the old silencer design that caused an issue (the last 8 inches or so), the York Guns version never suffered that problem so you need to make sure which model you're using as they look identical until stripped.

Edited by mick miller

• 2 weeks later...

This is not entirely correct. I spoke to the manufacture of my Stealth (York Guns not Saddlery & Gun Room) and they recommend plastic wad for their silenced .410's. I found the best to be Lyalvale plaswad 3" jobs.

Even the new Hushpowers will handle plaswads and it was only ever the old silencer design that caused an issue (the last 8 inches or so), the York Guns version never suffered that problem so you need to make sure which model you're using as they look identical until stripped.

Mick, I don't mean to question your experience for a second but for anybody with a hushpower reading this, I'd advise a quick call to saddlery & gunroom to clarify the wad situation. I've found plastic wad shrapnel in the new type 9" moderator. Could those pieces cause a bore obstruction? It seems possible to me. I'll stick to fibre wad for now or take the can off to shoot cheaper plastic wads when noise isn't an issue.

I find eley fourlongs best in my moderated.410 too.

I've tested a lot of carts through the hushpower (plastic and fibre), and the general consensus from the shooting position and from a distance is that subsonics don't make much difference for the added cost - supersonic crack seems very subtle in the .410. Eley extralong "subsonics" do hit with authority but I have frequently heard a suspicious crack and I'd like to run them over a chrono. Fourlongs were quietest but throw a fairly anemic 12.5g pattern. It's worth patterning the fourlongs to see just how sparse that pattern is!

For what it's worth, I'll call saddlery & gunroom tomorrow and quote their response here.

I shoot Fourlongs through mine and they kill ok up close (20 yards). Further out and it has to be the 3", again Eley.

I bought some Lyavale Express and they were loud, really loud! Kind of defeats the whole point of having a Hush IMO. For field use 3" standard Eleys are pretty good and still very quiet. :good: