Pigeon numbers...

Deako

I was looking around this afternoon. There was a few floating about but in no great numbers. I think they are a bit diluted with all the drilling going on.

I'll be glad when the weather turns, the rape is well up already. By the time the cold snap sets in and the birds start feeding it will be 2' high! Not what we really want.  :P

I had a look round this afternoon and saw quite a few

They were not in large groups, but everywhere I looked I seemed to see pigeons.

As the stubbles disappear and they start to concentrate on the rape, the groups will build.

Every year about this time, there seems to be more pigeons than last year.

I have read many times in the shooting mags. that pigeons dont fly around much when the weather is dominated by high pressure,and they just hang around the woods and hedgerows.With high pressure being over most of the country for the past 3 or 4 weeks ,I have found this very true in my part of the world(midlands) :=) The best result I had was one afternoon 3 weeks ago with a bag of 24 when set up around bales on fresh wheat stubble,but nothing much since and today we didnt even bother setting up although we put plenty of birds up out of the trees.Nothing down feeding and no birds flying about.Has this been the same with other shooters?

Was out yesterday doing a few bit's & pieces,& saw plenty of birds...........most of them on freshly drilled fields.............unfortunately these were the future Partridge Drives, so we couldn't shoot! :( .............Hopefully all the land will be sewn soon, & we'll have a few frost's by then, & be able to start on the rape!.... :P