Bikal Problems

Beretta28g

Hi enclosed are picsof my biakal, a sxs shotgun, i dont understand the proofmarks, so could someone help me as theyre in russian. secondly the chockes are odd, i mesured them wiha set of calipers today and the left has 30 thou'' of choke wich i belive is 3/4 but the right has 50 thou'' of choke and if full is 40 thou'' what type of choke is it please,.

any info much appreciated.

Beretta

post-20918-1267885883.jpg

post-20918-1267885900.jpg

post-20918-1267885914.jpg

The marks I can see are that UK proof house .719 is the measured diameter 2 3/4" is the chamber length 3 1/4 is the maximum pressure in tons per sq inch, the 12 in a diamond to indicate 12 bore (gauge) BNP is Birmingham nitro proof.

The mark that appears similar to LNC is the mark of Klimovsk Proof House

More proof marks can be found at Linky

and choking info at another linky

Edited by Delbert

The marks I can see are that UK proof house .719 is the measured diameter 2 3/4" is the chamber length 3 1/4 is the maximum pressure in tons per sq inch, the 12 in a diamond to indicate 12 bore (gauge) BNP is Birmingham nitro proof.

The mark that appears similar to LNC is the mark of Klimovsk Proof House

:good:???:lol::lol:

I will tell you now if it is a standard Baikal IZH-27 then it will be choked 1/2 and full. I/2 bottom and full top.

Post a pic of the end of the barrels and I will soon tell you if it is. Baikal have notoriously tight full choke, you can just tell by the meat around the barrel.

Edited by starlight32

I will tell you now if it is a standard Baikal IZH-27 then it will be choked 1/2 and full. I/2 bottom and full top.

Post a pic of the end of the barrels and I will soon tell you if it is. Baikal have notoriously tight full choke, you can just tell by the meat around the barrel.

The model number is IJ 58, it is quite old and SxS

If it is half and full its very tight on both chokes.

If the bore diamiter is .719 how can it be 12g as they should be .729?

Beretta

post-20918-1267897701.jpg

If it is original then it will have 28 1/2" barrels and 1/2 and full choke. Yours is original and is 1/2 and full

If the barrel is 27 5/8" long then it will be 1/4 and 1/2 and is the barrel is 27 3/8 then it is imp cyl and 1/4.

The barrel should have a criss cross pattern between the tubes on the muzzle end if it is the original length. The over and unders occasionally came with 30" barrels which were full and extra full.

The standard bore for a 12 bore is .729 however while working with Baikals for several years I have seen them from .715 to .736. Most of them were .719 and that is why the chokes are often very tight.

Edited by MC

Hi,

You're right about the 0.729 but there is some deviation and 0.719 is not uncommon. So, knocking the 10 thou off your figures, the gun is Full by 1/2 (guns for driven game were often bored that way around) unless you had the barrels up-side-down when you checked! The pressure given is the maximum service (working) pressure, not proof pressure and is not for 2 3/4" magnum loads (3 1/2 tons/ sqin).

Cheers

Thanks, but thats a SxS with 30'' barrels and the rib has straight lines going accross it at rightangles.

Bought new in 1977 found receit, no manual or nothing came with the gun though.

You have a rare one there then,

I worked for the sole importer of Baikals for a few years and never saw a 30" side by side. The over and unders were like hens teeth and rocking horse ****. The criss cross is what you show on the muzzle.

The old baikals did have heavy choked barrels because thats what they liked. A nominal half and full was standard but the half was a heavy half and more like three quarters. 1977? Its not one of the old Bailal hammer guns by any chance is it? They were supurb. A bit basic but boy did they shoot.

Edited by Vince Green