legal shooting distance

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure there is any legal minimum from a property boundary? :D You're not allowed to shoot within 50 feet (15m ish) from a road, if to do so would cause injury or hindrance (I forget the exact wording, but it's summat like that). So whilst I suspect it might be legal under firearms/highways legislation to shoot right on the garden boundary, if you have permission to shoot the field your in and you're shooting away from the property, it wouldn't be very considerate and there might be issues under environmental/noise/nuisance legislation.

I think lot depends on the time of day, whether they are in, their attitude to shooting, and whether it's one two shots from a moderated .22 at rabbits or a full days decoying with 100s of shots fired from a 12 bore? A pre-emptive strike might be an idea. Call round first without gun and explain that you will be shooting near their boundary and asking if they have any concerns, try to be reasonable and considerate and accommodate where you can, and you might head off a complaint and a lot of hassle.

Like Blunderbuss said-i dont think theres a legal requirement from a house boundary,but this is where diplomacy is needed.The last thing you want is to upset homeowners who could possibly ring 999 and report someone with a gun.Pop round the respective houses,introduce yourself and just explain what you're doing.If they cop a strop then atleast you know to get further away.

as for the road thing, i think its 25mts from the road centre if the road has vehicular access

No its 50 feet, which is roughly 15 metres. Advice from BASC, quoting from the 1980 highways act:

In England & Wales it is an offence without lawful authority or reasonable excuse to discharge any firearm within fifty feet of the centre of a highway which consists of or comprises a carriageway, and in consequence a user of the carriageway is injured, interrupted or endangered. [section 161(2) of the Highways Act 1980].

It is important to remember that the discharge of a firearm is not prohibited in itself. It must also be proved that there was an injury, or that someone’s passage was interrupted or interfered with e.g. they have been forced to make a detour. For the purposes of Section 161 (2) of the Highways Act 1980, a ‘highway’ is restricted to a public right of way for the passage of vehicles and does not include footpaths, cycle tracks or bridleways.

You can shoot right up to the boundary but you would have to shoot away from it as it will be an offence if your shot landed in the next doors property. Common sense must prevail here as with all shooting, if there is a house right on the boundary or near to it, disturbing the neighbours peace would only result in them phoning the police which you do not want. Remember, there have been alot of cases were police have not been clear on the law themselves resulting in wrongful arrest, do you really want the hastle so just tread with caution.

with regards to distance from the road,there was a receint article in shooting times/spooting gun i think,detailing what you can and can't do,according to them,NOT ME,you can shoot next to a highway,as you have "lawful authourity and a reasonable excuse" to shoot pigoens in a field you have permission for and a reaonable excuse is that you are there for vermin control,the50 meter/ injury come into place for instance,your're sitting next to a road,facing the field,you shoot a pigoen coming towards you and hit it,as it falls over your head it hits a passer-by or a car,then you have broken the law,your entilted to shoot next to or over a footpath,so long as you make yourself know to anyone approaching,if you do that you have not broken the law.,,,unfortunatly I can't find the Magazine with the article in it,but it was very clear about the above

Edited by retromlc

"reasonable excuse" is only a provision for despatching injured animals by the roadside and does not apply for general shooting, so stick to 50 feet at minimum to be safe.

That's YOUR interpretation, not the law. It is helpful to refer to actual sections of law (see Blunderbuss's post above) but can be quite misleading to provide an answer as if you are quoting fact! By all means give YOUR view - but please make sure you state it as such.

Edited by shoughton

"reasonable excuse" is only a provision for despatching injured animals by the roadside and does not apply for general shooting, so stick to 50 feet at minimum to be safe.

Who dispatches animals with a gun??

The law says that you can fire a gun within 50ft of the centre of a highway, so long as you do not cause alarm or distress to the users.

The law says that you can fire a gun within 50ft of the centre of a highway, so long as you do not cause alarm or distress to the users.

:oops::P

Numerous people, dispatch animals with guns though, vets, slaughtermen etc. But the most common one by the road will be when vets or gamekeepers dispatch deer that have been injured by cars. Some rural Police forces even have lists of local stalkers (not the sitting in bushes with binocular type! :good: ) they call up if they can't get a vet quickly.

Mark

Edited by Breastman

:oops::P

Numerous people, dispatch animals with guns though, vets, slaughtermen etc. But the most common one by the road will be when vets or gamekeepers dispatch deer that have been injured by cars. Some rural Police forces even have lists of local stalkers (not the sitting in bushes with binocular type! :good: ) they call up if they can't get a vet quickly.

Mark

I was thinking about rabbits and piegons, not deer... Duh! :)

In Scotland you can shoot right on the edge of a public road or footpath, there is no 50ft rule for us. In any case, the public can go anywhere they want due to our access laws so you have to be just as careful in a wood, up a hill, or next to a footpath!

There are 2 charges that can be made against you if you get it wrong.

"Wreckless discharge of a firearm" or "Wreckless endangerment"

Mark.

You are allowed to shoot within 50 feet of a road. Just to set you straight on that. You just can't cause alarm or distress to the users of the highway.

That's right we have an occasional stand on the roadsidefor one drive very quite road!

• 11 years later...
On 04/04/2010 at 18:11, unapalomablanca said:

How far should you be from someones back garden boundary when shooting shotguns in a field? I assume min 100yds someone told me the law is actually fifty which i find hard to believe. Can anyone confirm?

In addition to the Highways Act  and the 50ft rule, it is also useful also to consider shotgun pellet shot drop out distance and the risk to nearby property and occupants should you inadvertently fire in that direction.

An article by Bill Harriman in the Shooting UK and using Journee’s Formula suggests the theoretical drop out distance for UK No 6 shot = 220 yds and for UK No 5 shot = 242 yds. This maybe why the CPSA Safety Guide recommends 275 metres (300 yds) in every direction

I suspect that the risk of damage or injury at that distance is slight. However, pellets landing in someone’s garden could bring unwanted attention.