shotgun cartridges whats the law

remmy1100

yeah i know that ,but he says it is legal for someone to have cartridges in there possession without holding a shotgun certificate?

Yes its legal to own or be in possesion shotgun cartridges without a SGC

as well as that did you know you can purchase everything you need to load shotgun cartridges Without a SGC or FAC or explosives licence

All you need is picture ID

WB

Following that, the following is copied from 'Firearms Law, Guidance to the police':

iii) Shot Gun Cartridges

A Shot gun certificate is not required to possess or acquire shot gun cartridges containing five or more shot, none of which diameter. All ordinary shot cartridges are covered by this description. However, a shot gun certificate (or firearm certificate authorising possession of a section 1 shot gun) is normally required to purchase shotgun cartridges.

Following that, the following is copied from 'Firearms Law, Guidance to the police':

iii) Shot Gun Cartridges

A Shot gun certificate is not required to possess or acquire shot gun cartridges containing five or more shot, none of which  diameter. All ordinary shot cartridges are covered by this description. However, a shot gun certificate (or firearm certificate authorising possession of a section 1 shot gun) is normally required to purchase shotgun cartridges.

That's interesting, does this mean that to acquire shotgun cartridges you don't need a SGC? The example given does state "acquire". Acquiring would also mean purchasing would it not?

If so does this mean gunshops are overstepping their authourity in asking us to produce our SGC's everytime we buy cartridges?.

I realise it says "normally required". A contradiction surely.

I don't think I would call the gun shop 'overstepping thier authority' in this situation. Infact I would commend them for stipluating the production of such a certificate. If the law states its legal to buy without, it shouldnt, we all agree on that. So the RFD is doing the right thing by enforcing a requirement that is not legally required. In my opinion that is.

How can anybody enforce something that is not a legal requirement?

I do not think production of a SGC is a bad thing when buying cartridges, on the contrary, it's a good thing. Gets me though that I have to keep on showing my cert when the guy in the shop has seen it every time I go in there and knows my face etc.

yeah i know that ,but he says it is legal for someone to have cartridges in there possession without holding a shotgun certificate?

Yes its legal to own or be in possesion shotgun cartridges without a SGC

as well as that did you know you can purchase everything you need to load shotgun cartridges Without a SGC or FAC or explosives licence

All you need is picture ID

WB

Some shops don't even ask for picture ID for buying powder or primers.

Jonno

I get what your saying Chris but, you cant have it both ways. If its a good thing for the shop to behave in a fasion as they would with FAC ammo, then they should follow it to its fullest. They are not to know that your license is still valid or that you have had it pulled for any reason. Is it any hardship to show it as opposed to letting any tom **** or harry buy it?