Tuning the Air Arms S200

Batmancaver

Can anyone tell me how you tune the power up on an Air Arms S200?

Having read various comments and snippets on different forums I realise it is possible to fine tune the S200 for maximum power with your choice of pellets. Unfortunately, I cannot find any references to exactly how you do it.

Can anybody help with some advice?

I am picking the rifle up at the weekend and a variety of pellets and want it to be working spot on when I go and do some hunting with it later in the week.

Thanks in advance,

Batmancaver

it will probably be runnign around the 10.5F/lbs and to be honest you will notice hardly any difference to this power as you would at 12F/lbs.

accuracy has very little to do with power, but a lot to do with technique.

give it a good sesion down the rnage and dont forget it will need a couple of tins of pellets to enable everything to bed in nicely.

or you can just use bisley magnum pellets that should bring the rifle straight up to 12F/lbs.

dont forget if you do have the missfortune to have your rifle taken and chronographed by the police they can use any pellets they want to see what power your rifle is dong.

ROB :thumbs:

• 4 months later...

:unsure: whether or not you have an fac (please let me know), if you're still interested in tuning your s200 then please contact me at carl.stephenson@yahoo.co.uk, i can tell you how to do it & also how to flatten the power curve! (this information is not available to everyone, hence i will not be posting it into this conversation. please contact me direct). :good:

Im with Rob, playing around with your rifle is stupid which could can land you on hot water if your not careful. 10.5ft/lb to 12 is not going to make much difference so why play around. Anyone suggesting or offering advice to you on how to tune up :unsure: is ignorant of the law. :good: If the police test your rifle with your pellets you will be ok but if they choose thier own, which they will do, you could well be in trouble.

Im with Rob, playing around with your rifle is stupid which could can land you on hot water if your not careful. 10.5ft/lb to 12 is not going to make much difference so why play around. Anyone suggesting or offering advice to you on how to tune up :D is ignorant of the law. :blink: If the police test your rifle with your pellets you will be ok but if they choose thier own, which they will do, you could well be in trouble.

:oops: i know how you & others may feel about my comment, i feel the same as i run an air arms gun club & cannot afford to take any chances with the law. my apologies if it sounded a bit suspicious but what i am offering is a perfectly legal solution which will keep the gun within the legal limits & without the need to change any parts (this is why i asked about fac). with respect to the power, i would suggest taking it upto 11fp max. (this leaves a little room for the difference in pellets affecting velocity), most people won't need any more than 9-10fp anyway as this is fine for most purposes (you're right of course, 9-12fp doesn't make a great deal of difference to the fp but may affect the power curve a little). :good:

any further comments are very welcome! :unsure:

My original question regarding how to tune the S200 was aimed at making sure that it was giving out the maximum LEGAL non-FAC power that it could.

Whilst researching to buy one I had read many comments about how out the box the powers where sometimes low (about 9 lbs), so once I bought one I had wanted to make sure that I could tune it to a better power.

That was based on my inexperienced view. With a bit more experience and after buying a BSA Lightning XL (finances for a PCP where not there!) I am now a lot wiser. After running a lot of pellets through my lightning and testing them with a chrono I now know that your power output can vary considerably with different pellets. I would say that you are better off finding a pellet that works with your rifle and sticking with the power that that comes out with.

Of course if after testing with a range of pellets then the power output is low then it would require some fettling. However, once I eventually buy myself an S200, I will leave any fettling to a qualified gunsmith. That way, no chance of damaging your pride and joy unneccessarily and much less chance of making a mistake and getting in trouble with PC Plod.

Karl

Im with Rob, playing around with your rifle is stupid which could can land you on hot water if your not careful. 10.5ft/lb to 12 is not going to make much difference so why play around. Anyone suggesting or offering advice to you on how to tune up :drinks: is ignorant of the law. :blush: If the police test your rifle with your pellets you will be ok but if they choose thier own, which they will do, you could well be in trouble.

• 10 years later...