would you stay clear of a discovery with high mileage

Martin g

Have seen forsale a 2002 Land Rover Discovery TD5 S with 126,000 miles on clock for 6k.. At present I have a 2004 Free Lander S 1.8 petrol with nearly 50k on clock which is used for both family car and shooting.. Would I be me mad to consider changing for for something with so much mileage when I do about 12k a year.. Was the price that caught my eye which would be probably be within my budget if I was to change.. :w00t:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=270571919621

TBH milage doesnt mean a thing and befor anyone jumps on me in this months mechanics mag there is a bmw that has done 1,000,000 miles and all thats it has had done is serviced at the correct intervals. Thats not huge miles for a td5 im a mechanic and run one atm with 180,000 on and it runs really well. If it has service history go for it there are bargins around if you look hard enough I paid £1500 for mine. They are good for shooting but if your after a run about that goes off road every so often Freelander all the way.

Oil in the injector harness causes the td5 to appear to be missing give it a good blast in the top of the rev range.

Fuel pressure regulator diesel smelling coming from the back of the engine bellhousing area.

Dont know if the S model has rear air suspenion but if it has prone to leaks shows up in cold wether more.

PM me if you want to know more .

Kind regards OTH

OK it's high mileage, but to do that it must have spent most of its life in 5th gear on the Motorway. No guarantees, but it's been likely to have been driven by a professional and won't have had the clutch worn out. I note it's from a reputable (?) dealer, if it does have a full service history so it has to be worth a gamble. Not my money going on it but probably worth a go, mind I notice that you intend shoving another 12K a year on it, perhaps something younger would suit unless you intend keeping up the service regime and can live with periods off road for maintenance.

I paid £7500 for a 2001 TD5 with 44,000 on the clock with a full service history and 12 month warranty 12 montha ago, so it sounds expensive to me. I understand the TD5 has a timing chain which should last at least 200,000 miles, it will have air suspension which is great but expensive if it does wrong.

It wouldn't worry me, my TD5 was fantastic, I replaced a Hub (due to a wheel bearing/ABS sensor) and changed the problem fuel pipe (they were prone to rubbing on the chassi and leaking but the replacement has that solved)

Discoverys are a fantastic practical/veritile vehicle, people seem to have need to jump on them when in fact they are no more unreliable than any other 4x4 when looked after correctly, and anyone would struggle to argue with -

a) there offroad ability compared to others

:hmm: storage space

c) comfort for 5 adults (or 7 sometimes)

d) ability to perform well in a city, offroad or on a motorway

every manufacturer has faults with a range of vehicles whether it is the discovery with an oil filled injector harness, Nissan with it's toffee made crank, Mitsubishi with fuel pumps and light r's end, izuzu with suspension problems, suzuki's with rot...the list could go on and on.

The discovery will serve well well into 200k miles if looked after right - there will be issues but that can be said for any mechanical object.

The concern with mileage is usually what is in it's history and how it effects value.

I liked my TD5 so much I bought a D3...and have also had a Range rover and freelander! all of which were good cars while i owned them, I have also had suzuki's and have friends with Mitsubishi's, nissan navara's diahatsu's they all have faults but i know which one I would prefer to be in offroad and on a motorway.. :hmm:

EDIT TO SAY - not all disco's have the air suspension or Active cornering enhancement, I had mine on coil springs and standard anti roll bars which can be bought from Brit part fairly cheaply - it's worth considering if you want to lower the risk factor, but the air suspension can be very handy although i would say the difference between ACE and ARB was not noticable.

Regards,

Gixer

Edited by gixer1

Worked at main agent for a couple of years. 1,8 freelanders are aweful! Id choose the disco any day. Obviously some are good and some are bad. No belt to change as its chain driven, early ones had a bit of an issue with cracked heads but im sure they will all have been done by now. Air suspension is poor but you can replace it with coils. Sunroofs leak but again thats a simple fix just a bit fiddly. TD5 is a cracking engine!

• 3 years later...

Just noticed this, if relevent I sold my first Disco at 274,000 miles, one of teh first 200 Autos. The current one an 03 TD5ES is just coming up for sale at 262,000.

Cams are chain driven on TD5s so no belts to worry about, both engines needed new injectors at 180,000. Air susp is nice and comfy but bags only last 70-120k, as I tow all a lot I put a mechanical conversion on it. Does not ride quite as nice but it is reliable.

A