peacocks whats the law

i have been asked about peacocks this fella lives on an old farm and part of it is still a working farm the land owner has peacocks and there tearing up this fellas lawn and veggies . he has asked for help but im reluctant as i dont know the law in respect of peacocks..told him "talk to the land owner do not do any thing to the birds till you know all the in's and out's"....personally i dont think he can do much apart from making sure the fences are all good...

Although we keep a few peacocks I dont profess to be 100% sure on the ins and outs of any legal precidents regarding them.

However peacocks are not listed on the general license and are not on the list of game birds therefore I can be fairly sure in saying that it would be illegal for you to shoot them.

They would be classed as the landowners property and if you did shoot them I guess he would be able to sue you.

i have been asked about peacocks this fella lives on an old farm and part of it is still a working farm the land owner has peacocks and there tearing up this fellas lawn and veggies . he has asked for help but im reluctant as i dont know the law in respect of peacocks..told him "talk to the land owner do not do any thing to the birds till you know all the in's and out's"....personally i dont think he can do much apart from making sure the fences are all good...

Do you think they would taste as good as swan?

Its an interesting subject and if you owned the birds I'm still not sure legally you could shoot them even though you could despatch them by hand and then eat them. As said not on the general license and not a game bird so technically can't be shot but I would say chickens fit in the same category

The peacocks though free ranging will be classed as the property of the Farmer therefore should you kill one it may be classed as Theft, not to mention potential offences under the Animal welfare Act. i don't think that they would be covered under the CW act though.

Being property, the farmer could despatch them in any manner that he see fit, ie shooting, as long as the method is humane and does not cause suffering.

Theft needs an intention to permanently deprive... if you shoot one then give it back to whoever owns it then you won't get done for theft - but possibly criminal damage ?!

I would guess that peacocks are not classified as wild animals but domestic and if you shoot one you are shooting someone's property whoever's land it is on - in contrast to gamebirds and pigeons etc

As above best to talk about it rather than shoot.

Theft needs an intention to permanently deprive... if you shoot one then give it back to whoever owns it then you won't get done for theft - but possibly criminal damage ?!

I would guess that peacocks are not classified as wild animals but domestic and if you shoot one you are shooting someone's property whoever's land it is on - in contrast to gamebirds and pigeons etc

As above best to talk about it rather than shoot.

good idea. kill it and walk up to the farmer with your gun under one arm and the bird under the other askining him "Does this belong to you" lol " i was gunna make earings out of its tail"

Peacocks are a gamebird and im sure are a member of the pheasant family

I remember a report off a few years ago where two young lads had shot some

with an air rifle and were prosecuted under the game laws they were both

fined £50 air rifle destroyed and the owner was sueing for criminal damage I

never found out the result of the lawsuit. :hmm:

Peacock meat is an exotic dish with many health benefits (as per the link below)

http://app1.chinadaily.com.cn/star/2002/1003/di24-1.html

The fat content of peacock meat is very low, only 0.8 to 1 per cent, while the levels of protein, vitamins, calcium and other microelements are high. The nutritional value of a peacock is much higher than that of fish or snake.

In Traditional Chinese Medicine, peacocks have for a long time been viewed as an aid to the nourishment of Yin, supplementing the function of the kidneys. Research found that all the nourishment contained in peacock meat is very easily absorbed by the human body.

http://www.coquinaria.nl/english/peacock/index.htm

/S/

as much as they might belong to somebody, they are still causing damage. If you caught a dog chewing your car tyres, im sure you would class it as a damaging pest. If the owner will not deal with them, go to the police and report him for not keeping his animals under control. Its either a wild animal or not. If its wild and causing bother, there must be a law somwhere that protects you. If its someones property, they have an obligation to deal with it.

friend of mine has a similar problem.

he phoned the RSPB and asked if he could shoot the offending creature. Was told he would be in a world of **** if he did......I think he was told they are protected, which I'm not sure about??

Does the old fella own or rent his property? If he rents it off the "landowner" then there's not a lot he can do other than take it up with the agent as the birds are still on the owner's property.

If the old fella owns his property then he needs to take it up with the owner of the birds. The owner has a duty to either control his livestock or make recompense for damage caused.

Whilst game birds like pheasants are classed as wild once released and are the "property" of whoever's land they are on, I believe Peacocks remain the property of the owner just like poultry (geese, chickens etc) and any attempt to kill them will be criminal damage although I'm not 100% sure.

Probably best to ask the experts though, BASC or NGO if you are a member. If they are classed as game but he's renting then it's still a no-go unless his lease includes sporting rights...

• 1 year later...

The peacocks though free ranging will be classed as the property of the Farmer therefore should you kill one it may be classed as Theft, not to mention potential offences under the Animal welfare Act. i don't think that they would be covered under the CW act though.

Being property, the farmer could despatch them in any manner that he see fit, ie shooting, as long as the method is humane and does not cause suffering.

:stupid:

I know a farmer who has loads of peacocks on his farm.

He sometimes shoots them and whacks them in the oven. :thumbs: