minimum barrel length for a fac pump action shotgun?

Does anybody know what the minimum barrel length is for a pump action shotgun on a firearm certificate?. I know its 24inch on a section 2 but just wondering if you could go shorter on fac like 20inch,thanks

From what I know, it is still 24 inches, as anything shorter than this will turn it to a section 5 firearm, which is not covered by your FAC, as you have permission for a section 1 shotgun.

I've heard confusing stories about this, my FLD say 24", the sec 1 bit is just down to mag capacity greater than 2.

Now while i was searching for a suitable sec1 shotty i rang GMK about the new benelli M4, they told me that it can be a minimum of 20" but i can't have one because they don't import that model.

A chap i know has a 22" sxs police slug gun on a sec1 cert tho, so i reckon if you show good reason then they might let you have a sub 24" barrel.

You can get a Sec1 gun with a shorter barrel (same as rifles i think 30cm barrel, 60cm OAL) but only double barrelled guns, not pumps/semis/lever-action etc

Mark

Yes-this is correct.It was only last week i spied in my local gunshop tucked away in a corner a s/s 16b hammergun with incredibly short barrels and a red sticker on the information tag (meaning FAC).I asked the staff what use would be with such short barrels and they said armed robbery! :good:

Edited by Imperfection

Side issue but the 24" means the barrel and chamber but some police licencing authorities have got a bit confused about this and said it has to be the barrel and the chamber doesnt count. This is wrong so if you should encounter this get it clarified and don't take their word for it.

Side issue but the 24" means the barrel and chamber but some police licencing authorities have got a bit confused about this and said it has to be the barrel and the chamber doesnt count. This is wrong so if you should encounter this get it clarified and don't take their word for it.

It's 24" minimum barrel length and 40" overall length for any pump action or self loading shotgun regardless of magazine capacity.

If you have a sub 24" barrel on a pump action or self loading shotgun you will need a Section 5 authority. You will not get one for sport shooting here in the UK. The Police licensing departments have no discretion in this matter they cannot overide primary legislation.

The 24" is measured from the muzzle to the breech face. This measurement includes the chamber length.

btw Underlever FAC rated shotguns ie mag capacity greater than 2 rounds are not subject to the 24" barrel rule only the 30cm/ 60cm overall length rule.