Places to live between London and Bath. Any ideas?

gibby

Well i'm starting my job in Bath come September, but the Mrs. is currently working in London with her contract ending soon with the potential of her staying on. So we've been racking our brains trying to find a place to live between the two, so that we've got an even train ride in the mornings. Does anyone have any good suggestions? Looking for a village with a station or nice part of town between the two.

Gibby

Just had a quick look, Winchester is too long on the train to Bath, and Salisbury too long aswell. Swindon is a potential, are there nice areas of Swindon? Anyone know of any nice places around Didcot?

Gibby

Just a few of my ideas, 15-25mins from Didcot.

Wantage, Grove, Challow or a bit quieter...Charney Bassett, Stanford in the Vale, Hendred.

Chippenham, cause it's great!!

No seriously, it's **** and full of chavs, but it's only 10 mins from Bath and the countryside is a mix between the Cotswolds and the challk downs and if you have kids then the schools in some of the villages on the West side of town are v.good.

Corsham is nice, but not great. Calne is okay and cheap.

Chippenham's nice enough and has very good transport links to the motorway and with the station.

Corsham has a station but it hasn't been open for year although there is currently a campaign to get it re-opened.

Like all places you get ****holes and nicer areas, I personally prefer Chippenham to Corsham but one of the surrounding villages would definitely tick your boxes as well by the sounds of things. :rolleyes: Compared to many places it's still quite rural round here. :no:

FM :P

Another area is around swindon on the aldbounre / lambourne downs area lots of space the downs IMO are lovely in all seasons.

And swindon is a quick drive to the station and swindon does not suffer the traffic headache that other larger towns have.

Like the Chippy area the M4 is very close and juct 15 16 is very central for your needs bath being the closest .

As said I live very close to the stanford in the vale area we live in what I call a soft area not much traffic but enough services to make it pleasant place to be.

Regards OTH

Another area is around swindon on the aldbounre / lambourne downs area lots of space the downs IMO are lovely in all seasons.

And swindon is a quick drive to the station and swindon does not suffer the traffic headache that other larger towns have.

Like the Chippy area the M4 is very close and juct 15 16 is very central for your needs bath being the closest .

As said I live very close to the stanford in the vale area we live in what I call a soft area not much traffic but enough services to make it pleasant place to be.

Regards OTH

I forgot to say in my post that I live in Stanford in the Vale so would recommend it!!!!

It is a nice quiet village and as OTH said, it has enough services (pubs, shop, newsagents) to make it a good place to live.

• 1 month later...

Wantage all the time !!

10 - 15 min from the M4, right in the middle of everywhere (Reading / Oxford / Newbury all close) 10 min from Didcot station, but nice and quiet if you want that (and plenty of pubs). Plenty of lovely villages if you are a bit flush, or within walking distance if not (like me !!).