crow decoying patterns?

country-kid

Crows, rooks, etc seems to drop into a pattern , rather than fly in like pigeons.

I spread my decoys out right across the front of the hide in no geometrical pattern, allowing between 4 to 10ft between the decoys.

The furthest decoys I place are 35 paces from the hide in any direction.

The bouncer I would put inside the pattern , near to the edge and facing any wind.

if there is a fence near by always put a couple on there as if you see them in the field theres always one or two on the post on guard and a caller can help by alerting birds in the vacinity.Another good idea is to put an owl up on a lofting pole thats good to get them in shooting range. The problem with crows is one shot and every crow within hear shot will leave the area and wont come back till next day they are not like pigeons who keep returning to feed. good luck

The best advice i was toughed when it comes to crows is to spend a good half hour making a good hide the more natural the better, cover up your face and hands and keep still until they are hovering over the decoys because they have unreal eyesight and are wary as hell! Then a dozen flocked full body decoys and an electric crow call is a good start and prop them out as you drop them the younger ones are a bit more easier to fool. Make sure you use decent cartridge too i use 32g of 6s because they take some hitting.

Hope that helps and good luck! :good::yes::hmm:

Guest cookoff013

one of the funnyest decoys i`ve ever seen is utter madness.

guys in america tie pieces of black bin liners to sticks in the ground.

let them flap in the wind.

i think there is a you tube clip. i`ll try and dig t up.

Crows, rooks, etc seems to drop into a pattern , rather than fly in like pigeons.

I spread my decoys out right across the front of the hide in no geometrical pattern, allowing between 4 to 10ft between the decoys.

The furthest decoys I place are 35 paces from the hide in any direction.

The bouncer I would put inside the pattern , near to the edge and facing any wind.

We do it pretty much the way how Cranfield set up his pattern. Additional we have a small place in the pattern which is clear for landing.

When you are a right hand shooter this spot would be a bit left to the center of the normal pattern or the hide.

Addition we always set up watchers. So the crows which are sitting up in the trees (can be easily seen) or on fence poles and watch out that there is no thread.

Crows from Germany seem to be quite different because they also come in when the hide is on the flat land with no hedges or anything else around.

There they come in really flat and mostly try to drop in the pattern

• 4 years later...

one of the funnyest decoys i`ve ever seen is utter madness.

guys in america tie pieces of black bin liners to sticks in the ground.

let them flap in the wind.

i think there is a you tube clip. i`ll try and dig t up.

not funny mate ive tried them and they work also theirs a guy on pw from a shooting mag making them and a u tube vid of them in action no joke check it out

• 2 weeks later...

My advise to you would be always put a decoy ( full bodied of course ) up high I use an old fishing pole 6 m and wedge it into a tree so it looks like it's just perched .. But make sure assuming you gave a tree of course that's its placed into the tree where it can clearly be seen .... It's amazing how many more birds come into the decoys with this approach .... I also set my crow decoys at least 3-4 m apart but will aLways put 3 or 4 very close together with an old rabbit skin in the middle of them ... If you do this right Id say 90 % of the crows will make a bee line for that spot so put that in an area 25 yards from the hide right in the middle of the decoys ....

The last tip I will mention is keep very still and make your hide as natural as you can .... At some times of the tear pigeons seem to throw caution to the wind and keep coming in especially on new rape but crows remain ever vigalent and if you keep moving or your hide stands out you will defiantly get less chances .... Carts wise 32 no 6 out of half choke will work on most birds ...

Hope that helps