• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3570 posts
  • Joined 28-March 09

Posted 10 September 2010 - 07:34 PM

Can anyone tell me if there is a difference , ie speed ,trajectory :blush:

Speed? No

Trajectory? Not an issue at shotgun ranges

Pattern? Yes. Generally plastic wads with a a shot cup will throw a slightly tighter pattern. Because the outer pellets in a fibre wad load are in contact with the barrel during their travel up the barrel they distort a little and so fly a little less true. In my experience though the difference is marginal and unnoticeable unless your a far better shot than I am. In fact some might say the slightly more open pattern from fibre could be an advantage when shooting at short range, pigeons over decoys for example?

The real difference is plastic are cheaper (a bit), but fibre are better for the environment and farm livestock. I use fibre all the time for clays and live quarry.

Edited by Blunderbuss, 10 September 2010 - 07:41 PM.

#3 Fisherman Mike

Fisherman Mike
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7001 posts
  • Joined 21-July 03

Posted 10 September 2010 - 07:46 PM

I was hoping someone might develop a wad which increases the pattern substantially rather than constrict it. Say a diameter of 25 m at 30 m !!! that way I might start hitting something again. :blush:

#4 beretta

beretta
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2737 posts
  • Joined 04-February 07

Posted 10 September 2010 - 07:51 PM

trajectory, yes :blush: only noticable at +60 yrds ish.

#5 Blunderbuss

Blunderbuss
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3570 posts
  • Joined 28-March 09

Posted 10 September 2010 - 08:00 PM

I was hoping someone might develop a wad which increases the pattern substantially rather than constrict it. Say a diameter of 25 m at 30 m !!! that way I might start hitting something again. :blush:

They have! Not that you need them you old bluffer! You can shoot straight enough!

#6 Markio

Markio
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3744 posts
  • Joined 29-April 06

Posted 10 September 2010 - 08:06 PM

Not that it was on your list but i've found same cartridge type in plastic is softer on the shoulder (I use Eley Firsts).

#7 Redgum

Redgum
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1994 posts
  • Joined 01-April 10

Posted 10 September 2010 - 08:07 PM

saw a couple of inches off the end of the gun, that will open up the pattern a bit. :blush:

#8 Vince Green

Vince Green
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4024 posts
  • Joined 23-November 08

Posted 10 September 2010 - 08:51 PM

Cartridge companies prefer plastic wads because they go through their automated loading machines more efficiently and they are much cheaper to buy in bulk. There was a lot of selling hype around plastic wads years ago but that has largely been discounted since. They are simply cheaper.

#9 hubel458

hubel458
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Joined 29-August 10

Posted 20 September 2010 - 03:24 AM

In our 12ga FH testing at the higher speeds for slugs/buckshot,
the BPGS (BPI's name for it) plastic seal gets us 100 to 150 fps more than
card wads. It is a Gualandi wad. It is a one sided seal, where one side
only is to go on the powder.And the top side
of it fits a cushion wad as well as some wad cups.

For open patterns there are spreader wads and wads cups. Ed

Edited by hubel458, 20 September 2010 - 03:25 AM.

#10 njc110381

njc110381
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9233 posts
  • Joined 12-September 06

Posted 20 September 2010 - 07:25 AM

I prefer to use fibre simply because they're better for the environment. I don't like the idea of plastic being lobbed around the countryside when there are alternatives (in fact these alternatives were around long before the plastic shot cups were invented).

Plastic may offer a slight benefit? I'm no expert and to be honest I'm not even that great a shot with a shotgun but I can't see plastic wads making a noticeable difference for me. In my view the gains they offer fall well short of the disadvantage of your wads showing up for perhaps hundreds of years every time a field gets ploughed! I just wont use plastic!

#11 MC

MC
  • Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10459 posts
  • Joined 18-July 05

Posted 20 September 2010 - 07:38 AM

The only real difference between plastic and fibre wads is in your head. THey will both kill birds the same as long as you do your bit.

#12 yickdaz

yickdaz
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3533 posts
  • Joined 27-February 10

Posted 25 September 2010 - 09:12 PM

Speed? No

Trajectory? Not an issue at shotgun ranges

Pattern? Yes. Generally plastic wads with a a shot cup will throw a slightly tighter pattern. Because the outer pellets in a fibre wad load are in contact with the barrel during their travel up the barrel they distort a little and so fly a little less true. In my experience though the difference is marginal and unnoticeable unless your a far better shot than I am. In fact some might say the slightly more open pattern from fibre could be an advantage when shooting at short range, pigeons over decoys for example?

The real difference is plastic are cheaper (a bit), but fibre are better for the environment and farm livestock. I use fibre all the time for clays and live quarry.

thats the post i would of sent spot on : :good:

#13 HDAV

HDAV
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14256 posts
  • Joined 27-January 10

Posted 27 September 2010 - 12:06 PM

I prefer to use fibre simply because they're better for the environment. I don't like the idea of plastic being lobbed around the countryside when there are alternatives (in fact these alternatives were around long before the plastic shot cups were invented).

Plastic may offer a slight benefit? I'm no expert and to be honest I'm not even that great a shot with a shotgun but I can't see plastic wads making a noticeable difference for me. In my view the gains they offer fall well short of the disadvantage of your wads showing up for perhaps hundreds of years every time a field gets ploughed! I just wont use plastic!

There are4 advantages of plastic shot cups the ideal would be a biodegradable shot cup that will decompose ideal for steel shot over water in older guns. I would like to see biodegradable casings as most used casings go into landfill....

#14 Alycidon

Alycidon
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1310 posts
  • Joined 31-May 07

Posted 03 October 2010 - 10:29 PM

Can anyone tell me if there is a difference , ie speed ,trajectory :yes:

Depends where you want to use them.

On fields always use felt wads, farmers, landowners will not want to be picking up plastic wads all winter. shooting clays at a clay ground then use what you want, they have facilities to collect wads etc.

There is no real difference on speed, pattern quality etc in use.

A

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users