#1 Marley29

Marley29
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Joined 18-June 09

Posted 17 September 2010 - 10:41 AM

Hi all,

I am tempted into getting a set of Extended Teague chokes or possibly Victory chokes for my Beretta 686E which has mobil chokes.
I usually stick to 1/4 in the bottom and 1/2 in the top for sporting.
The question is, are they really worth paying out for? Will it make much difference when shooting clays out to 40 yards or so, or are they just another bit of kit that doesn't make a blind bit of difference?

If you have any experience with these and can advise of any plus/neg comments I would appreciate it.

Thanks

#2 Gordon R

Gordon R
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7485 posts
  • Joined 08-September 06

Posted 17 September 2010 - 11:52 AM

Teagues are top flight stuff. The advantage with extended chokes is that they are easier to swap. I suspect the average shooter would not be able to tell the difference. I have used flush mobil chokes and Optima extended. I prefer the Optima
(for the reason stated), but can't tell the difference.

I would spend the money getting your gun fit checked or a lesson.

#3 mickmep

mickmep
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts
  • Joined 31-January 09

Posted 17 September 2010 - 11:55 AM

go briley.............

#4 VicW

VicW
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts
  • Joined 29-July 06

Posted 17 September 2010 - 07:03 PM

I think the main advantages of extended chokes are that they are easy to change,if you are into that,and they protect the end of the barrel from knocks.
Both Briley and Teague are of excellent quality and accurate machining.The Briley has the advantage of being able to use the standard Beretta choke key but it's as easy to hand check them for tightness as you go along.
The Teague choke differs in its design in that the choke restriction tapers the whole length of the choke as opposed to the normal practise of a tapered portion followed by a parallel portion. You can read all about it on Teague's website.
I use an extended Teague 3/8 choke in my auto and am well pleased with it.

Vic.

#5 CZ550Kevlar

CZ550Kevlar
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3475 posts
  • Joined 31-March 09

Posted 17 September 2010 - 10:49 PM

Teague chokes from my experience makes for a pain in the *****, the ammount of people at one of the shoots i goto that have the chokes in a little case thing, stand there watching other peoples then get to the firing point and start talking amongst the group saying "hmmm looks like a 3/4 full for this bird then proceed to swap chokes every single stand.
but yes they are good chokes but unless you are into choke swapping i would stick to the standard key jobs, unless you are getting up there with the best of them you aren`t giong to benefit.

#6 dunganick

dunganick
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5515 posts
  • Joined 05-January 05

Posted 18 September 2010 - 08:00 AM

Best chokes on the market in my opinion.

I have a pair of extended Teagues that live in my MK70. I purchased them with the gun as well as a set of extended Brileys, i patterned them (also the standard invectors) and the Teagues were head and shoulders above the others (tried about 6 different cartridges), a much more consistent pattern.

Since then they have only been taken out of the gun about once. I dont believe in choke swapping and 1/4 and 1/2 is more than enough for me (especially when the pattern is that good).

My old man shoots a pair of ported Teages in his Blaser and considering he is shooting Cyl Cyl he hits very distant clays. Clearly not much wrong with those patterns.

For me the main reason to shoot extended chokes is that you can check they are tight by hand. No key required. Personally i don't like distractions between stands, so its nice to be able to just tweak the chokes tight. (My Miroku always loosens chokes as a lot of guns do)

#7 Marley29

Marley29
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Joined 18-June 09

Posted 21 September 2010 - 01:01 PM

Best chokes on the market in my opinion.

I have a pair of extended Teagues that live in my MK70. I purchased them with the gun as well as a set of extended Brileys, i patterned them (also the standard invectors) and the Teagues were head and shoulders above the others (tried about 6 different cartridges), a much more consistent pattern.

Thanks for the replies guys, I think I'll keep my eyes peeled for a 1/4 & 1/2 in the used section and see how I get on.

Cheers

#8 solosupercol

solosupercol
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • Joined 16-September 08

Posted 21 September 2010 - 02:05 PM

Won't make any difference for you mate, you've got a better chance of breaking the clays if you throw the carts at them!!!!

#9 Marley29

Marley29
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Joined 18-June 09

Posted 21 September 2010 - 03:33 PM

Won't make any difference for you mate, you've got a better chance of breaking the clays if you throw the carts at them!!!!

LOL - Pot and kettle springs to mind. I won't remind you of your scores at this years comp - Loser :good:

#10 HDAV

HDAV
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12700 posts
  • Joined 27-January 10

Posted 21 September 2010 - 06:32 PM

Just got a 1/4 and 3/8 ported teagues for my 525 haven't used them yet but looking forward to it.

#11 utectok

utectok
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3672 posts
  • Joined 25-November 08

Posted 21 September 2010 - 08:23 PM

"Will it make much difference when shooting clays out to 40 yards or so, or are they just another bit of kit that doesn't make a blind bit of difference?"
Yep that's about it IMHO but you might enjoy them?!

Edited by utectok, 21 September 2010 - 08:26 PM.

#12 COACH

COACH
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts
  • Joined 12-October 09

Posted 21 September 2010 - 08:55 PM

Yep! I`m with Gordon R all the way on this one. :good:

#13 Towngun

Towngun
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Joined 14-September 08

Posted 16 June 2012 - 07:01 PM

Teague chokes are first class top end engineering. For me they are the best so I have the best but that does not mean I need them or that my shooting will be improved by them any more that by my choice of cartridge. However, in shooting there is a psychological element that should not be understated. It’s the shooting equivalent of the Witch Doctor and when you know your pattern and cartridge is as good as it can be then it places the mind into a winning frame and can’t help but help you. If you drive the best car you can afford and wear a nice suit - you feel good because you look good and perhaps better that your peers so too your gun, cartridge and chokes. However, if you attempt to quantify it in scentific terms for most of us our shooting falls apart long before we can blame chokes (or for that matters the makes of the chokes) - we missed the bird because we were nowhere near it!

PS Even though I use teague chokes I don't mess about changing them - I also believe more birds are hit than missed through the use of open chokes. Unless your an Ace Shot why not try Skeet and quarter at sporting. Out to 40 yards opens chokes help not hinder.

Edited by Towngun, 16 June 2012 - 07:10 PM.

#14 Gordon R

Gordon R
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7485 posts
  • Joined 08-September 06

Posted 16 June 2012 - 08:53 PM

Two years after the last post - the sudden development is????????????????????????????? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

#15 HDAV

HDAV
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12700 posts
  • Joined 27-January 10

Posted 16 June 2012 - 09:04 PM

Good to see someone use the search function I have now added a 1/2 and 3/4 extended teagues and they are lovely to use!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users