Are Teague chokes worth the money???

Marley29

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So it's not worth the upgrade then?

Look your gun is already mobil choke, you can get any number of perfectly good aftermarket choke tubes from many other choke manufacturers cheaper than teague, to get it rethreaded why? is there something wrong with yours.

Mobils with the thread at the top and berettas scetchey QC on its choke threads can be an issue withh big steel shot but with extended aftewrmarket tubes like Brileys carlsens etc you will have no problems, if you are looking to try and improve your clay gun performance just buy mullers from just choking will be cheaper than teague and far better muller ceramic chokes are good.

performance

But they break along their length!

And Muller stands by those that do this, dont forget that bit.

I have two full sets of slim fitting Teagues for my most expensive guns. I like them very much .

I also have two Teague extended stainless chokes for my Winchester auto and S&W pump. I like them too. 😊

One of the most noticeably impressive was a ported extended quarter Rhino choke I inherited with a shotgun. Made some very impressive kills I wasn't aware quarter was capable of, coupled with Kent Velocities.

I have two full sets of slim fitting Teagues for my most expensive guns. I like them very much .

I also have two Teague extended stainless chokes for my Winchester auto and S&W pump. I like them too.

One of the most noticeably impressive was a ported extended quarter Rhino choke I inherited with a shotgun. Made some very impressive kills I wasn't aware quarter was capable of, coupled with Kent Velocities.

Guessing it was ported the ports can act as a wad stripper adds to the quater constriction, in some gun load combinations you can get very nice patterns its why the relatively light constriction kicks high flyers work so well in many wildfowling guns.

It's all in the mind.

Browning, Beretta etc have spent years perfecting guns with either fixed or removable chokes. Ref the latter, I doubt very much there is anything different between those supplied by the gun manufacturer and those made by 3rd parties. After all its only an internal taper.

Many people have their gun chokes adjusted by a gunsmith and all he/she does it reach for their long taper reamer.

The ones that claim amazing patterns are usually just slightly tighter than they claim.

Not knocking either product, but Teagues have more constriction that Brileys when you get above Improved/Half:

https://www.teaguechokes.com/news/choke-charts/

http://www.briley.com/c-448-bore-sizes-and-constrictions.aspx

...a Teague 7/8 has the same .035 constriction as a Briley Full (seems to be due to Teague's inclusion of a 5/8 in their range)

I'd be happy with either (indeed I use both).

I also have two Teague extended stainless chokes for my Winchester auto and S&W pump. I like them too.

Teagues are a respected brand because they were among the first to offer trustworthy engineering and the fact they are truly flush and difficult to tell when fitted adds to their appeal. Ultimately though all chokes perform well enough but none can do so quantifiably better or we would by now have had someone being paid to claim they can tell the difference in breaks or on paper for that matter.

Quarter choke performance can be rather deceiving I agree, this is often because different manufacturers "over constrict" their range to make for artificially pleasing breaks, the ports as I am sure you know play no part in anything whatsoever.

Guessing it was ported the ports can act as a wad stripper adds to the quater constriction, in some gun load combinations you can get very nice patterns its why the relatively light constriction kicks high flyers work so well in many wildfowling guns.

The stripping malarky is pure and utter nonsense. Patterns are essentially a random spread of pellets the diameter of which is somewhat controllable via matching constriction to shells and judging kills. There is no such thing as a NICE pattern because there is no such thing as the criteria upon which that niceness is to be judged. Evenness is nice (achievable through trial and error with any number of makes and shells) but then so is centre denseness (preferred by many a competitor).

Even if we were to believe that some ports are truly designed to strip the wad :rolleyes::lol: (swallows to maintain decorum), what on earth is the point ? Why ? The whole purpose of a good plaswad is to stay with the main shot column for as long as possible (which is only a few inches anyway) and by what quantum physics law would grabbing the wad make for better patterns and what does better mean in any case ?

If anyone thinks they can tell one choke from another then please please let me pay to come watch.

It's all in the mind.

Of course it is! An old boy with whom I've shot many a time shoots a 101 fixed at Skeet and Skeet. He shoots all manner of game with it and doesn't often miss.

I prefer full and full , especially for decoying, and bought quarter and half stainless Teagues for an old 101 because it wasn't steel shot proofed.

The full sets of slimline Teagues I have are to satisfy my artistic side, and I like the look of the mismatched chokes in my Perazzi as the lower one is extended and he upper flush. It's all 💩!

For me I went with Teagues as I wanted a pair of matching chokes for my new B525. The cost of one browning choke was nearly that of two Teagues so I went straight down the middle with 3/8 & 3/8 and haven't changed since for any clay or game.

I hope to add a B525 20bore to the cabinet for my game shooting next year, first thing I will do for this is order a pair of 3/8ths teagues for this too.

Am not into the bling so mine are always flush, but the price is right and I have confidence in the product ! :good:

Teagues are a respected brand because they were among the first to offer trustworthy engineering and the fact they are truly flush and difficult to tell when fitted adds to their appeal. Ultimately though all chokes perform well enough but none can do so quantifiably better or we would by now have had someone being paid to claim they can tell the difference in breaks or on paper for that matter.

Quarter choke performance can be rather deceiving I agree, this is often because different manufacturers "over constrict" their range to make for artificially pleasing breaks, the ports as I am sure you know play no part in anything whatsoever.

The stripping malarky is pure and utter nonsense. Patterns are essentially a random spread of pellets the diameter of which is somewhat controllable via matching constriction to shells and judging kills. There is no such thing as a NICE pattern because there is no such thing as the criteria upon which that niceness is to be judged. Evenness is nice (achievable through trial and error with any number of makes and shells) but then so is centre denseness (preferred by many a competitor).

Even if we were to believe that some ports are truly designed to strip the wad :rolleyes::lol: (swallows to maintain decorum), what on earth is the point ? Why ? The whole purpose of a good plaswad is to stay with the main shot column for as long as possible (which is only a few inches anyway) and by what quantum physics law would grabbing the wad make for better patterns and what does better mean in any case ?

If anyone thinks they can tell one choke from another then please please let me pay to come watch.

:lol: :lol: SO WAS STRIPING DONT EXIST . .. :rolleyes:

As for not telling one choke from another you will tell just by looking on the pattern plate shoot any two loads you want from my SP10 one with the factory full rem chhoke the other through .705 terror and i will tell you just from the plates which pattern was for the terror , this i know is a FACT.

as to was stripping being flawed technology, paternmaster have been advocating it for decades. :ninja:

And what do 'paternmaster' make? It wouldn't be wad stopping chokes would it?

As my old mother used to say: "There's one born every minute"... :yes:

Far more than one and other manufacturers sell stripper type chokes to wad wizard are an example, im sure some body will be along soon to tell you they work very well. I dont own a single decicated striper choke but i know they work. ;)

I run constriction type chokes as stripers dont like speeds much over 1450 1500fps .

The aftermarket choke deal not working wont wash with those who have experience of them, i advocate terror chokes for waterfowl or anything where i might be dealing with fairly long range with a shotgun, you can use conventional chokes those issued by the factory, but get a decent aftermarket choke tube and ask that shooter to go back to the factory offering and they wont.

My coment in post 30 of this thread to scully were offering my thoughts on what he had observed about his rino chokes performance in relation to its overall constriction, he was clearly suprised by the rinos capabilities and comented as such, i just sujested that the ports effectively contributed to this aparent enhanced performance nothing more.

eVEN IF YOU JUST LOOK AT THIS SINGLE THREAD THE OVERWHEALMING NUMBER OF PEOPLE WHO ACCTUALY USE AFTERMARKET EXTENDED CHOKES DO BY AND LARGE FAVOUR THEM.

I know i do and its only how they perform that interests me nothing else.

Tony, this guy is basically having a club talk with himself, there is nothing substantive about what he says, words like more versatile are basically meaningless because there is no point of reference or comparison, more versatile than what ? If you listen carefully at 3.20 mins he even appears to be oblivious to the fact that tight chokes such as F or XF have short shot strings as a given in any case :yes: in any choke make, even fixed !!

You are misunderstanding my point about it being impossible to tell chokes apart, I am not saying you can't pick out one that happens to throw tighter/more even/etc :) merely that whatever one choke can do you will be able to replicate with another, trial and error the only constraint.

Tony, this guy is basically having a club talk with himself, there is nothing substantive about what he says, words like more versatile are basically meaningless because there is no point of reference or comparison, more versatile than what ? If you listen carefully at 3.20 mins he even appears to be oblivious to the fact that tight chokes such as F or XF have short shot strings as a given in any case :yes: in any choke make, even fixed !!

You are misunderstanding my point about it being impossible to tell chokes apart, I am not saying you can't pick out one that happens to throw tighter/more even/etc :)merely that whatever one choke can do you will be able to replicate with another, trial and error the only constraint.

No you wont because if we take one choke the terror .705 in ten gauge you cant show me another choke to pattern as tight as that . Because no other choke that will handle steel as that much choke constriction period.

its pointless going round and round here, Teague makes chokes well made YES Efficient YES as far as standard chokes go. BUT NOTHING SPECIAL thats all i ever said.

To make a conclusive case for one brand, extended, ported etc. to throw better patterns than any other, the chokes concerned would have to be tested with every brand of shell, every size of shell, every load variation and at varying distances.

It just doesn't happen.