Ian Coley Sporting

Marcus

I am being taken there in the week for some clays. We have been told we can take our own guns etc, but I am not sure what carts (plastic of felt) can be used.

I see on his web site a picture of his own branded carts - would anyone know what I should take, or is it his own brand only?

Cheers

Had a great day out today at this ground. Excellent set up, shop on site and friendly staff. I would definately go back again. Not sure what traps they have on the sporting layout but they never missed a beat all day.

'Jim' there was an excellent host and top man, clearly knows his stuff when it comes to shooting. He definately added that little extra to the days experience.

Can recommend the Green Dragon Inn, Cockleford, Nr Cowley. Open fire and good food.

Edited by Marcus

Worth the drive then? Whats the cost when your not being "wined and dined" like?

I saw a sign saying 28p per clay. So a bit more than average. Mind you I did hear one guy say they had spent £1.5m on a refit not so long ago, new traps, layout, general improvements to the grounds etc so I guess they want a return on the investment. A number of disciplines catered for, Sporting, DTL, Compac Sporting etc

Its packed to the rafters on a saturday. I was told last Sat they put 70+ through lessons alone apparently with even more booked in for this Sat.

The non shooters in our group used a Miruko 6000. Jim asked us to guess how many carts it had seen. We all had a guess and were miles out. He said it had done approx 3.5million in its lifetime. It looked in great condition, still tight on its face and all they had ever done to it was serviced it. A good advert for Miruko guns.

A good advert for Miruko guns.

Sounds good, happy with my miroku made browning.... doubt it will see anything like that number of carts.

£28 for 100 sporting not cheap but not terrible might have to see if i can squeeze a trip to Cheltenham some time

I dropped in a couple of times earlier on in the summer whilst they were putting the place together and always found them friendly and accommodating. As others have noted, not the cheapest place to shoot but the ground is in pleasant settings only ten minutes from Jn 11a on the M5 and you can even find yourself rubbing shoulders with the likes of Richard Faulds et al.

Its packed to the rafters on a saturday. I was told last Sat they put 70+ through lessons alone apparently with even more booked in for this Sat.

I've only been midweek mornings and generally had the sporting layout pretty much to myself.

They seem more than happy to have you wander round on your own using the latest 'credit card' version of claymate, but if anyone from here is going and feels like some company, then drop me a pm before you go and I'll see if I can slip off for an hour or so.

• 2 weeks later...

I use that ground a fair bit, agree that if you can slope off during the week you have it pretty much to yourself. Not cheap at 28p a clay but then most places I shoot 50 sporting charge £11-13 a round, and at Ian Coley's you can use plastic, to keep the cost down by a penny or two a shot. Good for solo practice too as the new clay-mate system is a breeze to use.

Now the shop is there it's a real 'destination' place, great pub for lunch a mile or two down the road (towards Oxford), the Kilkenny Inn. Excellent food.