Fly fishing

Buzzer

I think that I might go and do a spot of fly fishing this weekend if the weather keeps up.

Going to use an intermediate line as I need a new dry line.

Thinking of getting me a Cortland 444 as they are supposed to be the dogs (bits)

Have any of you fly fishing chaps got any better suggestions for a dry line? or is Cortland the best.

All the best

Buzzer

I have never been that concerned about the "name" on my fly lines.

I have used all sorts, at all prices, over the years and couldn,t honestly say that I,ve noticed much difference between them.

Taking columbus,s point about cold nights, it might be worth going mid to late afternoon, when the water is at its warmest.

I would also fish something small and black, near to the bottom.

Hi buzzer.The cortland lines are superb,i use the cortland lazer lines and i personally can tell the difference between a mill end and a quality line.You can't go wrong with the cortland lines.I use a weight forward 6 on the lakes and tarns and a double taper 7 for salmon and sea trout fishing on the river.We should have a run of sea trout in about 8 weeks time so i will be doing a bit of rainbow trout fishing untill they arrive. :unsure:

Buzzer, give Greys lines a try. I have used cortlands and have few complaints, but last year I switched to Greys and they are superb, smooth casting and stand abuse. I use a wf 6 for general fishing, wf 8 for big waters. I do still have a 444 on my little 7 ft 4 weight river/brook rod all of my lines are floaters, but I'm in search of a fast sinker for the 8 weight and a intermediate for the 6, any suggestions welcome.

One thought! a lot of people say they fish fly. When in fact they are spinning with a fly rod. Anyone who puts on a sinking shooting head sticks a cats whiskers,etc on the end,casts for the horizon, and procedes to pull the line back as fast as they can,can in no way claim to be imatating a fly.They are spinning with a fly rod. I am not saying that its wrong i am only saying that they are fooling themselves. They are not learning anything about fishing they may learn how to catch stocked fish,but that is not what fishing is about. With the prices that they charge on these stock ponds as every put and take fishery is, They run it as a money making exercice,they have a markup on every pound of fish.

Dead true columbus, you can't beat fooling a wild trout with a well tied immitation of what they are feeding on. These days I can hardly even be bothered with fishing nymphs, much prefer the visual approach of dry fly.

Certain days though obviously I have to fish nymphs, but last season i had three times more fish on dry flies as I did nymphs.

Unfortunetly the rise of flies such as the fritz and cats whiskers has allowed the rise of the instant trout angler, though the majority of these anglers do tend to stick to over stocked fisheries which isn't a bad thing.

I agree that there is a great deal of satisfaction in catching a wild fish, on a fly.

But, I think that feathered lures, nymphs, dry and wet flies are all weapons in the pursuit of "fish".

Whether those "fish" are stocked rainbows, wild browns ,sea trout, pollack, bass or thin lipped mullet etc.

There is an appropriate method for each "fish".

I enjoy them all, just some better than others. :unsure:

I agree with Cranfield, I have certainly done enough stocky bashing in the past and will in the future, but personally I am much happier catching wild fish or at least over wintered fish.

Its what the individual is happy with, but personally I'm not happy pulling lures all day long its to much like hard work, when the trout are tuned into naturals its also futile.

Sean i know that the water is cold and fish bieing cold blooded dont move about much, but they still feed on natural food. Ask NTTF where he breaks the ice to fish. So you can still fish a natural imatation and catch fish. Course if you wish to spin thats up to you and good luck to you. If you are paying 20 to 30 pound a day i suppose you want to go home with something to show for it.

Last year I was catching Rainbows on dry flies in february, in fact dry flies were my first choice on any water last year from then on.

Lots of trout anglers go with the fish deep and slow approach, but on occasions I feel theory from angling litreture is influencing the decision, it is not always the way to go as I have found out on many occasions.

Last year I fished a small syndicate water which has a good head of over wintered browns and rainbows ( catch and release in force ). During June/July many people struggled to catch on nymphs fished deep when I was averaging up to a dozen per evening on dry flies. Apparently the water was too warm, it wasn't it was merely the trout were looking at nothing but tiny buzzers, and pond olives on the surface.

It was a bit hard trying to explain the fish were catchable to other anglers until the owner came and watched me hammer them one evening including a fine cock brownie that had baffled many anglers on many occasions over the past couple of years. It only weighed 2 1/2 lbs, but a finer trout you couldn't wish to see. It took a size 18 black midge with cdc wings.

I am not saying fish can't be caught on the surface when the weather is cool as i have caught them myself but i tend to catch more when the weather is cool by fishing an intermediate line and phrehaps a montana nymph.I don't fish the big lures like dog nobblers etc as they are hard work.Oh and columbus i dont think you can class using lures on a fly rod as spinning. :unsure:

Im of to do a spot of flicking tomorrow, and yes I am going under the surface with somthing I made up last night.

I do perfer to fish the top with drys and like you Supergame seem to catch more fish on top.

You just have to pay attention to what the fish are coming up for and as they say......Match the hatch

Tight lines

Buzzer

I agree, you have to be careful not to be too influenced by "perceived wisdom".

The best thing about fly fishing is, that its so proactive.

Which means you can try different lines and methods throughout a session.

I nearly always make up two outfits to start with.

One will be floating line and one, slow sinking line.

I,ve fished a few waters where the local "perceived wisdom", has been proved wrong.

You turn up, the chap at the Lodge tells you they never take anything "on the top until June".

So, nobody fishes on the top until June.

The "perceived wisdom", become a "self fulfilling prophecy".

Fishing is full of examples of this phenomena.

Sean I ceratainly wasn't aiming my previous post at you fella, no offense intended. I was merely carrying on the topic.

During the early season if the fish are not up near the top i will opt for a damsel or montana.

This season I'm waiting a little longer before starting to hammer the trout, probably because I'm to busy shooting pigeons, though I am getting the urge to have a flick very soon.

Thought that I would let you chaps know how the fishing went last Sunday...

After tackleing up with a pale hares ear I walked down to the lakes edge, couldnt see in the water due to it rippling with the slight breeze so I flicked out blind, as I started a slow figure 8 retrieve a 4lb rainbow fell to the hares ear.

So after that I tied on the fly that I made after a few casts one more rainbow was on the bank of just over 3lb so I had to go and buy another two fish ticket!!!

This time I thought that I would try a single silver stoat with in 10 mins another 3lb rainbow was put in to the bass bag!!!

1 more to get ... this time I used a diawl bach with a touch of geen in, this time 20 mins later a 4lb 8oz was playing like a good'n' but he never got away!!!

They were all caught on a WF6 intermediate line

Going again this sunday to a differant lake, hope it wont be to easy this time!! any one else started yet?

Tight lines

Buzzer

Buzzer, were you fishing the stock ponds ? :)

They certainly appeared to be feeding well.

Its always nice to get a few fish early in the season, does wonders for the confidence. :unsure:

brain dead, as I have already posted elsewhere, on the subject of the Go Fishing Show at the NEC, I have been before and didn,t enjoy it.

Don,t forget to let us know what you thought. :P