decoys, magnets, flappers & bouncers

pigeonsbestfriend

Hi everyone,

not been pigeon shooting long and everyone keeps telling me i need different decoys and i need one of these rotary magnets and flappers and bouncers and uncle tom cobbly and all!

Currently using about 20 full body decoys, mainly head up but about 7 head down (feeding). I keep getting pigeons landing in trees out of range and looking at the decoys but they rarely seem to come within range.

i've been told that i need some movement in the pattern to convince the pigeons the decoys are really feeding????

Any ideas?

Hi,

I've had some good results with only 10 half shell flocked decoys and a rotary. I use hypaflaps on the rotary but you need to see how the pigeons react. Sometimes the rotary seems to scare more than attract. Judge on the day. Just my experience :-)

Cheers,

Dr_T

Movement in a decoy pattern is a good thing, as it can catch the pigeons eye from a distance.

Bouncers or Floaters are probably the cheapest way to do this, but I believe a rotary is a great asset.

You can also get spring sticks for your decoys, that will make them move in a breeze and look more natural.

You mention that the pigeons are coming to your decoys, but sitting in nearby trees out of range.

If you can't move nearer to the trees (obvious suggestion :) ), it may be that your hide needs some attention as they can see you, or movement.

Look at your magnet as well. Shine or exposed metal parts in this lovely low winter sun can also glint and give off flashes. I sprayed all the shinning metal bits a dull matt black and had not problems pulling the pigeons in over wheat stubble. Also recently bought some new shell decoys that seemed to pull them in too, they are listed as Medium Detail shell pack (12).

Guest beechris

i use 12 half shells and own bouncers, magnets,flappers. I find that the shells are good enough, but some movements is better. however said that some times the movement may scare them on some days..

I'd do some research and field work to you should be able to shoot pigeons well enough with 20 shell deeks if they are in the right place and correct patern. Flightlines pattern and position according to condition. That's my opinion don't get bogged down with kit concerns!!

I'd do some research and field work to you should be able to shoot pigeons well enough with 20 shell deeks if they are in the right place and correct patern. Flightlines pattern and position according to condition. That's my opinion don't get bogged down with kit concerns!!

A very good answer, and £5.99 for a Archie Coats book wont go a miss..... how many decoys do u get for 5.99!

TEH

• 4 years later...

It may seem over excessive but more is better, the bigger your pattern the more pull, and move ment is the key I carry and put out 36 shell decoys which are all spruced up if and when they need it.

I also use floaters and a magnet but a magnet can put birds off sometimes coming in as it could simmulate birds taking off, everyone of my shells move even in the slightest of breeze's a disign of my own.

I've also just had bouncers at the rear of the pattern none in front giving the simulation of birds coming in and landing behind the flock giving s clear path to the kill zone.

When not using the rotary I mix haif a dozen crow decoys into and around the pattern this works well, movement is the key and concealment.

It may seem over excessive but more is better, the bigger your pattern the more pull, and move ment is the key I carry and put out 36 shell decoys which are all spruced up if and when they need it.

I also use floaters and a magnet but a magnet can put birds off sometimes coming in as it could simmulate birds taking off, everyone of my shells move even in the slightest of breeze's a disign of my own.

I've also just had bouncers at the rear of the pattern none in front giving the simulation of birds coming in and landing behind the flock giving s clear path to the kill zone.

When not using the rotary I mix haif a dozen crow decoys into and around the pattern this works well, movement is the key and concealment.

Do you not think that birds take off when they are ready to leave the field?

You have sufficient decoys. Assuming your hide is good, it sounds to me that you need to work on your pattern. Keep it simple - two blobs of ten deeks each with a big, entirely uncluttered landing area in between. Observe how pigeons approach/avoid your pattern and adjust accordingly.

I agree with Mr. Essex; get Archie's book.

Good luck. I wish I could go back to when I first started shooting pigeons.

• 3 months later...

Question,

did you just bang down the decoys, or did you make a hook line, or horshoe pattern ?

If you haven't given them a place to land in the middle, they will be wary of coming in to land.

They need either an elongated L shape pattern, or a horshoe pattern, allowing them to land either at the corner of the L, or the centre of the horseshoe, where they will feel safe, and also give them less chance of colliding with other birds (if the birds were real and took off for some reason)

Google "Pigeon Decoying Patterns" and some pictures are bound to come up showing the various patterns

Edited by Redditch

The point to note is that there is no single solution that'll work every time. If I was decoying and birds were landing near me but not committing to the pattern, then I would be adjusting the pattern; Whether it's pulling some decoys in, or adding more, whatever it is, they obviously were not attracted to your layout. Even with a magnet or a flapper, position is key, and again, every day can be different. It's great to have all the toys, but being able to adjust to the situation is most important.

Question,

did you just bang down the decoys, or did you make a hook line, or horshoe pattern ?

If you haven't given them a place to land in the middle, they will be wary of coming in to land.

They need either an elongated L shape pattern, or a horshoe pattern, allowing them to land either at the corner of the L, or the centre of the horseshoe, where they will feel safe, and also give them less chance of colliding with other birds (if the birds were real and took off for some reason)

Google "Pigeon Decoying Patterns" and some pictures are bound to come up showing the various patterns

Did you go to where the pigeons were or were you wanted them to be?

It is all about reconnaissance.

Get yourself on a BASC Pigeon Shooting Course it is money well spent.

BASC and Pigeon Watch have one organised in Wrexham for September 5th.

Edited by bakerboy