gas ram over springer?

rabbit.slayer.no.1

ok guys i myself perfer gas ram over springers any day . i find that the springer tends to lose pressor after you cock it. like say for instence you load it and the rabbit runs you have at wait for your next shot but by that time the spring has started to lose power but with a gasram it can stay cocked and loaded for as long as it takes to find your next shot. plus it seem that the spring wears out quicker then a gasram . plus they have less recoil. what do you lot think on this ????

You seem to have all the answers already. To be honest with you, I have shot air rifle (springers) for a lot longer than I choose to remember and cant ever recall the spring weakening just because it has been cocked for a while. I also dont think that the gas ram type guns are worth the money that is being asked. You can get a nice AA s200 for the kind of money that is being asked for gas ram and the quality of build and accuracy is far superior. I can assure you that once you have used an S200 (or equivalent) you would never want to spend that kind of money on a gas ram system ever again. Also my experience between springers and Gas ram with reference to recoil leads me to think there is not a lot of difference.

Your theory about the springer's wearing out quicker than the gas ram I believe is faulty as in my experience, if a springer is looked after during its life time of usefulness then it will probably last 10 times longer than the gas ram models have actually been being manufactured.

They (Gas ram)in my opinion are a bridge between springers and PCP that is not needed and anyone who spends there money on such a rifle are not getting any value and has wasted a fair bit of cash that could have been better spent.

Sorry if this is not what you want to hear but I can assure you I do speak from experience and have been able to compare the rifles I talk about and the choice between springer, Gas ram and PCP is not a hard one as it is only a two gun choice with an overpriced peace of **** between the springer and the PCP.

Edited by Blunderbust

This thread could/probably will go on a bit.

Springers have improved a lot over the last 20 odd years, and a decent one these days is quite reasonable, I suggest something isn't right somewhere with the one you say drops energy after being cocked a few minutes! :hmm::hmm:

Gas Ram are good, no question, but they have just not taken off, I can't help thinking people either look at Springers, or go all the way to PCP, with few bothering with a Half Way House so to speak.

Blunderbust says it pretty much as it is in my view!

ATB!

There is a guy on another forum bought himself a Weihrauch HW 80 which was running at well over the 12ftlb. Left it cocked in a locked safe for two weeks to weaken the spring to save stripping it. Checked it and it was exactly the same. I have never found a springer to run out of steam through being cocked for a short time. I am old and have had many springers.

There is a guy on another forum bought himself a Weihrauch HW 80 which was running at well over the 12ftlb. Left it cocked in a locked safe for two weeks to weaken the spring to save stripping it. Checked it and it was exactly the same. I have never found a springer to run out of steam through being cocked for a short time. I am old and have had many springers.

+1 and Blunderbust hit the nail on the head IMHO.

:good:

Springer for me "Prosport"

Does temperature have any effect on a gas ram :hmm:

That is an interesting question, I have to admit here I don't have the answer due to my lack of confidence in the gas ram system, I have never used them in cold conditions. I do have to say that I would be very interested in what others with this knowledge have to say. :good:

i find that the springer tends to lose pressor after you cock it. like say for instence you load it and the rabbit runs you have at wait for your next shot but by that time the spring has started to lose power but with a gasram it can stay cocked and loaded for as long as it takes to find your next shot. plus it seem that the spring wears out quicker then a gasram . plus they have less recoil. what do you lot think on this ????

If your springer is behaving as you describe, your spring is indeed knackered.

I've never experienced any discernible lss in power from a cocked springer - even after a couple of hours.

Springs only wear out fractionally quicker than a ram, and rams seals degenerate with time, even if the rifles not being used, which doesn't happen with a spring-piston rifle.

Also - I bought a full service kit for a TX200 a few years back (new mainspring, seals etc) for less than 20 quid. So even when, after many, many, thousands of shots the spring needs replacing, its a cheap and simple job to do. How much is a new gas ram?

I've never owned a gas ram rifle but sprins will be damaged if they are dry-fired, would a gas ram be damaged in the same way?

I'm not suggesting anyone try but I'm interested as, in the past, I have bought quality spring rifles second hand that have had considerably weakened and bent springs - probably from being abused.

I've never owned a gas ram rifle but sprins will be damaged if they are dry-fired, would a gas ram be damaged in the same way?

I'm not suggesting anyone try but I'm interested as, in the past, I have bought quality spring rifles second hand that have had considerably weakened and bent springs - probably from being abused.

The ram may get away with such abuse, but the piston crown probably won't be so lucky.

At least replacing a springis usually cheap and easy. What's a decent ram cost now? £70, £100?

Duncan

• 4 years later...

I don't agree with much that the originator said despite owning a gas ram. Mostly because his knowledge (?) of how the springers power degrades over time if ridiculous.

But I have to also counter some others arguments about a gas ram being a waste of money over a pcp. Yes youve correctly identified that you could buy a S200 for the price of a gas ram rifle. But, as I've said many times, you cant get the charging equipment as well. That's where the difference is.

Never owned a hunting powered springer but most of the good ones seem to be around the price I got my gas ram, albeit it second hand.

I probably wont part with this rifle. Its perfect for my needs as I can pick it up after months of inactivity and go shooting. No need to fill up a diving bottle or pump it up. Same deal with a springer of course.

Like I say I really dont know what the comparitive recoil and surge are like or how accurate either are compared to each other.

• 11 months later...

Springer for me "Prosport"

Does temperature have any effect on a gas ram <script pagespeed_no_defer="">//=d.offsetWidth&&0>=d.offsetHeight)a=!1;else{c=d.getBoundingClientRect();var f=document.body;a=c.top+("pageYOffset"in window?window.pageYOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollTop);c=c.left+("pageXOffset"in window?window.pageXOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollLeft);f=a.toString()+","+c;b.b.hasOwnProperty(f)?a=!1:(b.b[f]=!0,a=a<=b.e.height&&c<=b.e.width)}a&&(b.a.push(e),b.d[e]=!0)};p.prototype.checkImageForCriticality=function(b){b.getBoundingClientRect&&q(this,b)};h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkImageForCriticality",function(b){n.checkImageForCriticality(b)});h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkCriticalImages",function(){r(n)});var r=function(b){b.b={};for(var d=["IMG","INPUT"],a=[],c=0;c=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e)}b.g&&(e="&rd="+encodeURIComponent(JSON.stringify(s())),131072>=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e),d=!0);t=a;if(d){c=b.f;b=b.h;var f;if(window.XMLHttpRequest)f=new XMLHttpRequest;else if(window.ActiveXObject)try{f=new ActiveXObject("Msxml2.XMLHTTP")}catch(k){try{f=new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP")}catch(u){}}f&&(f.open("POST",c+(-1==c.indexOf("?")?"?":"&")+"url="+encodeURIComponent(b)),f.setRequestHeader("Content-Type","application/x-www-form-urlencoded"),f.send(a))}}},s=function(){var b={},d=document.getElementsByTagName("IMG");if(0==d.length)return{};var a=d[0];if(!("naturalWidth"in a&&"naturalHeight"in a))return{};for(var c=0;a=d[c];++c){var e=a.getAttribute("pagespeed_url_hash");e&&(!(e in b)&&0=b[e].k&&a.height>=b[e].j)&&(b[e]={rw:a.width,rh:a.height,ow:a.naturalWidth,oh:a.naturalHeight})}return b},t="";h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.getBeaconData",function(){return t});h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run",function(b,d,a,c,e,f){var k=new p(b,d,a,e,f);n=k;c&&m(function(){window.setTimeout(function(){r(k)},0)})});})();pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run('/mod_pagespeed_beacon','http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/index.php?s=c235e368b8cf25522a2c007b8e6adc84&app=forums&module=ajax§ion=topics&do=quote&t=154832&p=1319340&md5check=45729bb7fcef92df95d08e3464b51c1c&isRte=1,B6nXayd9mu,true,false,EjaAB1fVW1o');//]]></script> &&0

mfletch.

I don't know about gas rams in airguns but ... I do know that one hot day last summer with all the windows closed in my sons car .... the tailgate rams blew their seals.