Spring air rifle technique

Stickfloat

Hi there,

recently brought myself a new Webly Stingray .177 spring rifle, It's a cracking piece of kit packing 11.7ft/lb. Since it's pretty powerful it does give a good kick and I'm finding that it is very hold sensitive. I've been practising with it alot and can't seem to get any better than about a 2" size group at 30 yards and ideally, before I go out in the field I want to be halving that. I've had the rifle around 2months and have been shooting regulary. I always use the Artilliry hold when practising in order to allow the gun to move.

I was just wondering whether anybody has any tips on improving my grouping with the rife.

Cheers,Joe.

ps, Also usually lean on a dustbin with a stack of old towels to rest on (the gun rests on my open palm)

It really boils down to providing a stable platform so that the rifle can recoil freely in a linear manner. In other words think of it as allowind the rifle to 'do it's job'.

Be relaxed and still, pausing on the exhale as you steadily increase pressure on the trigger till the shot is released and watch through the scope til you see the impact.

Wearing a glove on the forehand definitely helps with this.

If you are doing all this consistently and still getting 2 inch groups, try some different ammo.

Best of luck

Duncan :yp:

Try shooting with your thumb up. This helped my springer technique alot. I think it stops you gripping the rifle too much, or getting your hand in the way of the recoil. Also try pulling the trigger with different parts of your finger. Make sure the butt is fitting your shoulder comfortably and consistently. Basically you don't want any pivot points, but rather a smooth recoil motion in line with the barrel. :)

Pellets :hmm: what are you using,a smooth domed pellet like rws superfield is a must,do you think it is not floating on your fore grip as this will create a jolt,its a pity you couldnt have got a pcp as even a cheap one would group better especially at 30 yrds.

Have you got a mod fitted,this may cause bad groupings :hmm:

If nothing improves it,send it back to the factory under warranty :yes:

Edited by vampire

The gun is still very new, often it takes a tin or two of pellets before the barrel settles in. Also you will have to find the best pellet for your particular gun, so try a few to see how they al group.

Also, the main thing with springers is you do the same thing every time, ie the same hold, the same grip etc. so once you find what works keep doing it.

Keep a regular breathing pattern, and hold the rifle firmly but let it recoil, go with it and don't try to stop it, seems best for me anyway. Just try to make sure you use the exact same technique for every shot, and maybe try some different pellets, dome heads are usually the most accurate.

Thanks for all of your Replys, I will try what you have all suggested tomorrow morning and see how it goes. I'm using rws super fields. The rifle has already had about 3 tins of pellets through it so I think its bedded in by now. I really think it maybe just me and my technique that needs to be adapted to the gun. It.s a nice rifle and its a shame I find it difficult to shoot straight. Would love to get my hands on a cheap pcp soon. It just seems expensive to get the whole set up with charging gear etc. I will let you know how I get on with it, thanks for your help!

Thanks for all of your Replys, I will try what you have all suggested tomorrow morning and see how it goes. I'm using rws super fields. The rifle has already had about 3 tins of pellets through it so I think its bedded in by now. I really think it maybe just me and my technique that needs to be adapted to the gun. It.s a nice rifle and its a shame I find it difficult to shoot straight. Would love to get my hands on a cheap pcp soon. It just seems expensive to get the whole set up with charging gear etc. I will let you know how I get on with it, thanks for your help!

Hey chap, don't lose heart with the springer, I think after 3 tins of pellets it's pretty well bedded in, but the rifles action will still improve further with use and time.

It may just be a case of finding the right ammo - FT Trophy's. AA fields, JSB's, even Wasps.

I'm afraid that the PCP is not necessarily the panacea of airgun shooting that people hope it will be - my bag didn't improve that much when I plumped for the near-legendary HW100S.

Your springer will keep your technique 'honest' as it forces you to shoot properly, with a consistent relaxed hold and attention to follow through and the essential pause in the exhale before releasing the shot.

Is the rifle going off sweetly and predictably? If not, it may be worth stripping, cleaning and re-lubing the internals appropriately (DIY) or getting a competent gunsmith to do it for you.

At 1500 pellets through the bore, I'd also give the barrel a clean before trying other brands of pellets and ignore the first few shots (10 or so) after the barrel has been cleaned whilst it re-acquires some lead lubricant.

Whereabouts are you? If you're close, I don't mind giving the rifle the 'once-over' as I've done a fair amount of work on springers in my time and don't mind helping if I can.

Cheers

Duncan

Edit - just seen Kirkby in Ashfield, Notts.

96 miles away. Crud!

Edited by The Duncan

Duncan,

I love the rifle and would be really happy to finally shoot it straight. I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to cleaning barrels etc, so would need a bit of a pointer in that department. I've been told over and over by shooting friends that there is nothing wrong with the rifle, its just me I'm guessing. What cleaning kit would you recommend? Also can you buy pellet trial packs so its easy to see what suits my rifle? Cheers!

Duncan,

I love the rifle and would be really happy to finally shoot it straight. I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to cleaning barrels etc, so would need a bit of a pointer in that department. I've been told over and over by shooting friends that there is nothing wrong with the rifle, its just me I'm guessing. What cleaning kit would you recommend? Also can you buy pellet trial packs so its easy to see what suits my rifle? Cheers!

pm coming re cleaning barrel, but you can get pellet trial packs from pellpax (easy to find on line) which will give you a good spread.

Try to relax about this fixable accuracy issue - it is curable and tension will show through in your shooting.

Cheers

Duncan

Edited by The Duncan