Beretta Silver Pigeon One - Sporter

Thunderbird

Just taken delivery of a new Beretta Silver Pigeon '1' Sporter 30" today and have to say so far am very impressed. Have already shot one for fit, but the workmanship, the wood, engraving, the 5 optima chokes and hard case that come with it makes a great deal. It is a fantastic and very classic looking gun - much at home on a clay or game shoot. Feels great, shoots great.

Very excited now...

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry is it not a field , ive got a pigeon 1 28" and its a field and the 30" is also i believe unless ive got it wrong and the 30" is sporting ?? But more important are the chokes not mobil 2" as the optima are 23/4" , i e-mailed beretta and asked and thats how i understood it? but worth checking yourself mate anyhow whichever , A very nice gun for a so called entry level some entry ,really nice quality touches , also is excellent value with barrels and actions that are the same as the top in the range only difference is wood grade but mines spot on quality grade , i paid a tad over 1K so all + points as far as im concerned . So a +1 here .

Edited by bongo321

Sorry is it not a field , ive got a pigeon 1 28" and its a field and the 30" is also i believe unless ive got it wrong and the 30" is sporting ?? But more important are the chokes not mobil 2" as the optima are 23/4" , i e-mailed beretta and asked and thats how i understood it? but worth checking yourself mate anyhow whichever , A very nice gun for a so called entry level some entry ,really nice quality touches , also is excellent value with barrels and actions that are the same as the top in the range only difference is wood grade but mines spot on quality grade , i paid a tad over 1K so all + points as far as im concerned . So a +1 here .

i may be wrong and it could well be a sporter ,so confuseing but beretta usa there is one ,But all mobil chokes

I'm not a Beretta man, but that is a nice looking gun. At last both Beretta and Browning have now brought out entry level guns with over-bored barrels and chokes to suit.

I always wandered how they could justify charging extra money simply for drilling an 18.7mm hole through the tube instead of an 18.4mm one !!. They might have scored a bit of an own goal however, why would you now buy the more expensive 686 sporter or white onyx sporter with conventional bored tubes/chokes ??. Nice gun and good value enjoy shooting it.

I'm not a Beretta man, but that is a nice looking gun. At last both Beretta and Browning have now brought out entry level guns with over-bored barrels and chokes to suit.

I always wandered how they could justify charging extra money simply for drilling an 18.7mm hole through the tube instead of an 18.4mm one !!. They might have scored a bit of an own goal however, why would you now buy the more expensive 686 sporter or white onyx sporter with conventional bored tubes/chokes ??. Nice gun and good value enjoy shooting it.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but can someone explain "an 18.7mm hole through the tube instead of an 18.4mm one" to me please?

That's a lovely looking gun by the way, enjoy!!

Guest cookoff013

overbore - underbore different companys take on the best 12gauge barrel diameter, the chamber is strictly under cip regulation, the barrel isnot.

my merkel is 18.7mm, but has a stupidly tight chokes. so is and always will be a bird gun.

the barrel diameter will have a great influence as to the speed and pattern of shells. aswell as the choke.

larger getting more speed, smaller getting slightly better % ie no more than 2% improvement on most shells pattern.

It sure is!

N9luke - check that isn't the field model advertised at that price. Cheapest I found for field was £1160 and £1255 for sporter (Guntrader).

I however bought mine from my local gun shop which is literally within walking distance of my house, could have saved a fiver or so getting it RFD'd from elsewhere but to be honest would rather go local.

Edited by Thunderbird