Police

AVB

I saw this on the BBC website

post-2444-0-80280800-1304150178.jpg

The caption said "There were 5,00 police on duty, with more than 900 along the wedding route. Most were in uniform, but some were in plain clothes, mixing with the crowd".

Now I'm sorry but no way can those be called 'plain clothes' :huh: He stood out a mile.

One of the good things to see on TV at the Royal Wedding was the police in "normal" uniforms, not running around looking like SAS wanabees in "combat" outfits.

Even our local PSCO wears all the gear,trousers tucked into his socks, big boots and his water bottle, swiss army knife, tissue pack, etc., all hanging off a belt round his waste.

I can understand the wearing of this sort of stuff in extreme situations, but not just for patrolling the streets.

I wonder how much this aggressive appearance affects peoples current perceptions of the police.

One of the good things to see on TV at the Royal Wedding was the police in "normal" uniforms, not running around looking like SAS wanabees in "combat" outfits.

Even our local PSCO wears all the gear,trousers tucked into his socks, big boots and his water bottle, swiss army knife, tissue pack, etc., all hanging off a belt round his waste.

I can understand the wearing of this sort of stuff in extreme situations, but not just for patrolling the streets.

I wonder how much this aggressive appearance affects peoples current perceptions of the police.

I have to agree with this, 'our' PSCO's male and female look as if they are off to a war zone, I really don't think there is a 'need' for this :no::no:

Alan :angry:

It was nice to see the police wearing their traditional dress uniform, police now don't get issued with the tunic just a fleece and a high-vis blouson, having to borrow one from the stores for Crown court or ceremonial duties.

I wonder if the current uniform has a part to play in why there is such a lack of respect for the police? But I can understand the need for all the stab vest and baton and cuffs carried with the **** they have to deal with.

I have to agree with this, 'our' PSCO's male and female look as if they are off to a war zone, I really don't think there is a 'need' for this :no::no:

Alan :angry:

Why, you'll be saying that the paramilitary look is designed to intimidate next :ermm:

It's true though. Some of those PCSO's are terrifying !

untitled.JPG

wurrrrrrrr :oops:

I wonder if the current uniform has a part to play in why there is such a lack of respect for the police?

I think this is more the interference of APCO imposing 'diversity' targets and stopping ordinary peelers from locking

people up for certain crimes to keep the figures down.

Most normal policemen just want to be allowed to chase and lock up criminals.

Check "Perverting the Course of Justice" for more details (or Inspector Gadget's blog).

Nial.

To be honest,I don't think that there is a need for all the 'tough guy' look where I live,it's a sleepy village with next to no crime,well ,the biggest crime we had was when the bluetits pecked open a bottle of milk and started to drink it :lol:

The reported crime rate for the last three months was.............wait for it..................3, YES , 3 crimes committed,OH DEAR, send in the paramilitary :/:lol: :lol:

Alan, ;)

Edited by willy1

I do agree that some of the OTT belt kit etc seems to come with a bit of attitude in some cases.

But on the other hand, when you look back at say the miners strikes or other footage from the 8o's where the police had traditional tunics and traditional style helmets with a chin strap added and waving there truncheons around it does look a bit Monty Python.

Mixed feelings about the police rig at the moment. Around dumps (certain inner city areas anywhere) if I was on 'patrol' I'd want more than some kevlar, a metal stick and a tin of squity chilli oil. But then some of the police I see are sub 5' 5" and clinically obese, no wonder they want a decent 'look' to make up for the lack of actual man underneath it.

Out of interest what are the beat bobby fitness requirements these days? Because some I see plodding around look as it they can just about make the hop between kebab shops.. :oops:

Not to say there arn't some thoroughly decent, well trained appropriately dressed physically fit coppers out there, they just seem a bit thin on the ground.

It's all true! After the initial two years there is no further fitness requirement. And, I would guess that over 90% of patrol officers would ditch the stab vest given the oppertunity. When I was a dog handler I got called to some pretty serious stuff, but I carried my stab vest in my bag and only put it on when necessary. Now it is compulsory to wear it all the time. Given the current financial situation I predict there may be a change in policy pretty soon.

As for PCSO's; they are on the whole honest hardworking people who have been left out on a limb by politicians and senior police officers. Their role is untenable. I wouldn't do it. They have no powers, many have no handcuffs or batons, they get little or no training and are expected to deal with the yoofs of today, gangs and all. Not only that, many of them don't work after 10pm and only have to work one weekend day per month. Not their fault. Blame Tony Bliar, David Plunkett and your local Chief Constable.

It's all true! After the initial two years there is no further fitness requirement.

Now this amazes me, I expected some sort of testing, even if it was just the standard pressups/situps/run situation. I pressume any bobby worth his pay keeps himself fit for his own personal reasons but without the requirment to be fit all of the time I'm guessing more than a few make no effort. This is something I would really like changed, I'm feeling very English all of a sudden and have the urge to write a letter to my MP... :oops:

Why, you'll be saying that the paramilitary look is designed to intimidate next :ermm:

It's true though. Some of those PCSO's are terrifying !

untitled.JPG

I can't believe there issuing respirators theses days and you have to wear them like the poor sole above!!! Lol

Royal

wurrrrrrrr :oops:

I would like to see our police in their dark uniform amd out of those high viz jackets,they look like lollipop ladies.To my way of thinking a policeman should look as though he/she is someone in authority which they certainly don't dressed in yellow plastic.

Obviously they do need to be conspicuous at accidents etc.

We need at least twice as many policeman on the beat as there are.That way the lowlifes never know when one is going to appear round the corner,just like they did when I was a kid and got caught scrumping apples etc.What was the punishment,a clip round the ear and a visit to your parents.How the hell did they know where we all lived?

Vic.

Now this amazes me, I expected some sort of testing, even if it was just the standard pressups/situps/run situation. I pressume any bobby worth his pay keeps himself fit for his own personal reasons but without the requirment to be fit all of the time I'm guessing more than a few make no effort. This is something I would really like changed, I'm feeling very English all of a sudden and have the urge to write a letter to my MP... :oops:

It doesn't actually matter that much in practice. The unfit ones naturally gravitate towards CID or some office job and the fit ones are hampered with 20lbs of body armour and equipment, so can't run very far anyway. :lol:

I fear my attempt at being funny in my original psot was lost. I was actually commenting that the small bloke in the strange white outfit wasn't dressed what you would call 'plain clothes' :blush:

I fear my attempt at being funny in my original psot was lost. I was actually commenting that the small bloke in the strange white outfit wasn't dressed what you would call 'plain clothes' :blush:

Not lost mate....................... just wasnt funny :good:

:P

Not lost mate....................... just wasnt funny :good:

:P

Harsh. :/ At the time I thought it was hilarious