Polishing/shining an oil finished stock

barrie0

As the title I have a 686e with an oil finished stock which was a bit light and a dull finish , I have since put on about 6 coats of ccl gunstock conditioning oil which has made the stock darker but it still ends up with a dull (ie not shiny)appearance . When the conditioning oil is applied it looks brilliant when wet but dull when dry , so I presume I need something to shine up the stock and make it more shiny,glossy etc .

Not having a clue on woodwork does anyone know what I should put on the stock now to bring the finish out ie a bit of shine like when the stock gets wet in the rain and brings out the colour . I don't want to strip the stock or anything like that as the colour is fine but just a bit bland ,maybe it may just be a case of wax ? or something like that , but I need to know what is safe etc to use on an oil finish as before my shotguns have always been varnished .

tru oil is probably what you want.

the ccl is designed to give a matt finish, where as the tru oil is a good final finish coat. Gives a nice clear coat. Apply with your palm, make sure you get lots of heat into it. Leave for a day or two between coats otherwise you wont get such good shine. Once its done use either wire wool or i have used postik notes in the past (a tip picked up on rimfirecentral.. it actually does work) to buff the finish. after about 5 or 6 coats it leaves a very nice clear shiney finish. (if you like that sort of thing)

yeh, true oil in my experiance dosent darken down wood too much once it has a finish, and instead acts as a clear coat ontop of the finish. Its nice and sunny, so i will go and take some pics of my rimfire stock which has been finished using tru oil. (but below is stained)

i havent much experiance with ccl, in fact i only bought some this weekend, and im only onthe 2nd coat of oil. Wouldnt like to say what finish that will produce. :lol:

if you go to www.rimfirecentral.com sign up and look at the 10/22 stock finishing section, there are some guys in there who really know their stuff. And the yanks really like their high gloss finishes, so might be a good place to make a thread :lol:

you might also like to talk to The Last Engineer, he has refinished lots of his guns with tru oil and they look great.

Edited by dunganick

personally i would leave the stock as it is, thats got a very nice finish with a slight matt finish to it.

i will just go and take some pictures of my dads berreta teknys, as im pretty sure that has been finished with tru oil, but by someone who knows what they are doing :lol:

if there is one thing ive learnt since ive been trying to refinish stocks, it is that the people who are good at it will hardly ever give away their tips.

or they use some oil you have never heard of.

if im honest i dont think the true oil will make an amazing difference to that stock.

its got a lovely piece of wood on it, but it looks almost the same as my old mans beretta (which i believe to be finished using beretta tru oil.. could well be wrong)

one of the yanks fav. tricks is to use the clear coat, like you might use on a motorbike tank after painting. But ive not really heard of that being used this side of the pond. And to be frank it sounds like a one way road if you messed it up.

p403001724ri.jpg

my stock, first attempt at completely re-finishing a stock. Has a few coats of Tru Oil stain to start with. Then about 2 weeks worth of various other oils (traditional walnut and tru oil) however i did not leave the coats long enough between applications. and never produced a good finish (very matt and soft black/red finish) However after about 8 coats of tru oil, being left 1-2 days between applications, this is what it looks like.

p403000629db.jpg

pretty poor picture im affraid, it isnt that much more glossy than your by the looks of it. (although in person is slightly more glossy than hte picture shows)

im affraid im at a loss as to what to suggest. Tru oil would normally be what i would recomend, but ive never tried any of these waxes which people like birchwood offer.

keep us posted on your decision.

Thanks Dunganick you've been a real help , the teknys picture is not that much different as you say , so it is not going to be worth using the tru-oil . I will probably get some gunstock wax and try that and see what the outcome is and post a picture if it makes a difference . Once again thanks for the replies mate . :lol:

sorry i didnt get to the thread Barrie0, nick has said it all there, and by the look of your stock now i wouldnt touch it again, good peice of furnitiure, if you did that you did a good job as i see it, you may find over time you need to add for more luster but thats par for the cource, if its factory the just add to it and you will see the shine come in as the wood loads up.

Martin

Cheers LE+Dunganick , After seeing the tru-oil picture and not seeing much difference I went down to b+q and got some colron finishing wax which has bees and carnuba wax in it ,which is supposed to be the best wax according to posts on shotgun world . Some said don't wax oil finished stocks whilst the majority said they do wax oil finished stocks .

Anyway I have just finshed my first coat and buff up and I am going to do another as the instructions , and it is coming up a treat as it is bringing out the colour and adding a nice sheen to it which is what I wanted in the first place . :o

When I first got the gun the wood was more a blondy colour as in this link .

http://www.beretta.com/index.aspx?m=74&idc=1&ids=44 the bottom sporting model . But all I did was put on around 6 coats of ccl gunstock conditioning oil by hand and buffing with a cloth inbetween coats and now just doing a couple of wax coats and it is a vast improvement from the original stock and dead easy . And I have also just enamel painted that big white barrel bead black as it keeps drawing my eyes from the target ! . :(