Safe Shooting

Robin128

• 2 weeks later...

browning n spaniel,

Glad you know it all and have never had an accidental discharge... :D

These notes are intended for the novice and a gentle reminder to the more experienced like yourself, perhaps.

Had an 80 year old novice point his 12G at me 2 years ago and go "click click" ... :blink:

There's one born every minute as you know and perhaps if the much needed new-comers to shooting spent 2 hours in the Library before they turn up to shoot there may be less embarrassing moments.

Love Brownings and would love to go rough shooting but very bad back prevents that now.

Stay safe mate... :good:

Edited by Robin128

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

What Chamber Length for Your Shotgun?

"Good question, as most shotshells have been lengthened far beyond their original design parameters to allow more room for componentry. The patterning board proves that this "more is more" school is not always the best, or even a reasonable approach.

If we accept that every shotgun has two forcing cones, one at the breech and one at the muzzle (the choke), shooting a 2-3/4 inch shell in a 3-1/2 inch chamber is just asking for problems, and I've seen them. For example, the accoladed Browning Citori XS, XT, and Citori 525 clays guns all have 2-3/4 inch chambers. So do the Sporting Clays Browning Gold versions, and the cost of separate barrel inventories for these models strongly suggests that it is not by happenstance.

When hot gas pushes a wad down the bore, the shot mass wants to expand. Giving a smooth transition from hull to bore with minimal shot deformation and upset is the primary requirement of good forcing cone design. If we fire a 2-3/4 inch hull in a 3-1/2 inch chamber, what happens during the unsupported "jump" is obvious: our shot mass wants to migrate out to hull outside diameter size. It tries, and then is immediately reconstricted, and overly constricted, when the forcing cone ramps the mass down to the inside diameter of the barrel.

If you measure the outside diameter of a 12 gauge hull you'll find it to be around .800 inch. Our chamber, which must be a "slip fit" for the hull, is necessarily larger than that. Starting out at over .800 in., we expect our wad to seal at that unsupported level, and all the way down to a 12 gauge bore diameter which varies from .729" (American designation) or .725" diameter (European designation).

A .075 jump is a lot to ask of a plastic wad, and some gas blow-by is to be expected. Shooting 2-3/4 inch shells in a 3-1/2 inch chamber is opening a can of worms, and just asking for poor pattern efficiency.

There is a lot to be said for shooting the shell length that matches your chamber length. The same effect is also present in shooting 2-3/4 inch shells in a 3 inch chamber, but with only one third the gap, is far less pronounced and problematic. I've shot outstanding patterns from 2-3/4 shells out of 3 inch chambers, and many hunters either don't care or feel that the potential reduction in pattern efficiency is not significant compared to the added flexibility a 3 inch chambered field gun offers them.

Most manufacturers agree, as the majority of field guns sold today in 12 or 20 gauge are fitted with 3 inch chambers. There are exceptions, though, and they include almost all competition guns (trap, skeet and sporting clays models). Again I'll cite Browning Arms. The Citori O/U Superlight Feather, clearly a dedicated upland field gun, comes with 2-3/4" chambers; so do most "London best" side by side field guns made today. In years past, many 12 gauge London guns were built with 2 inch or 2-1/2 inch chambers. The short shells and light loads simply pattern better than heavy "over square" loads.

Only the patterning board reveals it, but unless you think you need a steady diet of 3-1/2 shells for something (and I sure don't), it is wise to steer clear of 3-1/2 chambers. That is one of the reasons all my 3-1/2 inch chambered shotguns have found homes elsewhere.

Advances in shot, such as the popular Hevi-Shot, have in large measure negated the need for the 3-1/2 chamber, certainly when hitting something as fragile as a turkey head. For long range pass shooting at geese they might have a place, but you will likely pay a performance price with that same gun on the dove field. Like the re-rise and demise of the 10 gauge due to the early, comparatively poor steel shot loads, the sun is setting on the 3-1/2 chamber in 12 gauge for general use.

Three inch chambers remain a reasonable compromise in 12 and 20, and are not available in 16 or 28 gauge. Yet another reason, I believe, that both gauges generally pattern better than they are "supposed" to."

http://www.chuckhawks.com/chamber_length.htm

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I have always used this to enforce safety.........

A Father's Advice

If a sportsman true you’d be

Listen carefully to me. . .

Never, never let your gun

Pointed be at anyone.

That it may unloaded be

Matters not the least to me.

When a hedge or fence you cross

Though of time it cause a loss

From your gun the cartridge take

For the greater safety’s sake.

If twixt you and neighbouring gun

Bird shall fly or beast may run

Let this maxim ere be thine

“Follow not across the line.”

Stops and beaters oft unseen

Lurk behind some leafy screen.

Calm and steady always be

“Never shoot where you can’t see.”

You may kill or you may miss

But at all times think this:

“All the pheasants ever bred

Won’t repay for one man dead.”

Keep your place and silent be;

Game can hear, and game can see;

Don’t be greedy, better spared

Is a pheasant, than one shared.

Safe shooting everyone

• 3 weeks later...

I have always used this to enforce safety.........

A Father's Advice

If a sportsman true you’d be

Listen carefully to me. . .

Never, never let your gun

Pointed be at anyone.

That it may unloaded be

Matters not the least to me.

When a hedge or fence you cross

Though of time it cause a loss

From your gun the cartridge take

For the greater safety’s sake.

If twixt you and neighbouring gun

Bird shall fly or beast may run

Let this maxim ere be thine

“Follow not across the line.”

Stops and beaters oft unseen

Lurk behind some leafy screen.

Calm and steady always be

“Never shoot where you can’t see.”

You may kill or you may miss

But at all times think this:

“All the pheasants ever bred

Won’t repay for one man dead.”

Keep your place and silent be;

Game can hear, and game can see;

Don’t be greedy, better spared

Is a pheasant, than one shared.

Safe shooting everyone

Like it

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I think one shooting accident is too many...where has anyone suggested it's rife???

Thanks for pinning it nickbeardo. Sorry for nagging.

I think the notes are useful for the experienced who think it could never happen to them...and of course newbies.

smile.gif

That will certainly save accidents, everyone will be so busy reading and reminding themselves of it they won't have time to go shooting.

• 2 weeks later...

Point number 7 says it is against the law to have a loaded gun in a public place. You can have a loaded gun in a public place such as public footpaths/bridleways that cross private land. Anywhere can be classed as a public place where it can be accessed by the general public without invitation.

• 4 months later...

This could be worth an entry in your RCO section as in the past when I used to shoot at Bisley when the system was in operation I witnessed some heart stopping situations, but this might have changed!

Something for target shooters who shoot particularly at Bisley Camp, to be aware of is ‘Reverse Echelon Shooting on Century’

To optimise the use of Century Range, ‘Reverse Echelon Shooting’, (i.e. longer distances being shot from the left hand side of the range with the shorter distances shot from the right hand side is sometimes utilised, this being the reverse of normal operations and is, if you are a new target rifle shooter well worth knowing before stepping onto the range.

Great work by the way!

• 2 weeks later...

A cautionary tale for those intrepid hunters amongst you:

The Hunters Arrow

I shot an arrow into the air

It fell to earth I knew not where

For so swiftly did it fly its flight

Could not be followed by the eye

I sang its song into the air

With an attitude of cavalier

When a startled cry the clear air broke

Had I the wrath of God invoked

There I saw by distant oak

My arrow its shaft still un-broke

Had pierced a man clear through the throat

Yet when I let that arrow fly I did not deem a man might die

I left caution in the wind to soar

And by so doing opened death’s dark door

Echoes from when on the wing

That arrow’s song that it did sing

Resound now forever in my heart

With an empty hollow ring

STOTTO

(An adaptation of the poem)

“The Arrow and the Song”

By

Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

And if the above message is lost in translation, then this lesson for the rest of us;

"Who killed Cock Robin?" "I," said the Sparrow, "With my bow and arrow, I killed Cock Robin."*

“No ‘Bird Brain’, you did not use a bow and arrow”, said the prosecutor. ”You used a bloody great big hunting rifle with expanding ammunition and negligently failed to adequately ensure that your backstop was of sufficient integrity to allow you to take the shot with safety, now a man lies dead and we are going to bring the full weight of the law to bear upon you”!! “Do you carry insurance bye the way”??

* (An extract from the poem)

“Who Killed Cock Robin”

Edited by STOTTO