Rabbit salt water soak

-Mongrel-

Two questions please...

Is it necessary to soak rabbit in salt water, if so why, and how much salt to water for how long? (Ok, maybe thats three questions already!)

Can they be soaked once defrosted from frozen or does it have to be done fresh?

Ta :)

I don't think the salt is necessary at all. At the risk of repeating myself too often, I sometimes do the Italian way, of just covering the meat in cold water, adding a good splash of white wine vinegar, and leaving it for an hour at most.

I've got to get the rest of the family 'on side' with bunny at the moment.

I've had plenty in Spain and loved it, but little 'un won't touch it if she realises what it is (a bit too close to Bonnie and Flopsy in the garden you see!), and even the missus is unsure. So I need the first few dishes to be T-A-S-T-Y!

It seems that the salt level would be at roughly what you'd put in the spuds/pasta to cook then?

I have seen really quite high levels of salt being recommended for soaking rabbits. Mark Gilchrist has videos on youtube where he talks about a fistful of salt.

Personally I hardly use salt in any cooking at all, got out of that habit many years ago.

I fully agree with your end game though, and hope you find a way to enjoy the rabbits. :)

Edited by john_r

• 3 weeks later...

You put salt in to draw the blood. if not then you get bitter tasting meat.

one rabbit and a tablespoon of salt, 2 rabbits then 2 table spoons and so on. check your soak after 6 hours, if its really bloody then rinse and re-soak. i put mine in at tea time, check before bed then wash and rinse in morning.

I like to do all mine as soon as they are brought home, then bagged and frozen

I have always soaked in salt water, but may have a rethink. I went to a rabbit preparation and cookery demo at the game fair last weekend. In response to a question about this, the woman doing the demo said she never does it. She reckons it removes a lot of the flavour and makes the meat a lot blander tasting, and that there's no bitterness, as long.as you're careful to remove.the scent glands

She cooked 3 different rabbit recipes and I tried them all. They all tasted fine to me! I may try not soaking them from now on and see how o get on.

• 2 weeks later...

I have soaked mine previously but I'm starting to think that it is only necessary to do so if you intend on cooking the meat on the bone. I generally take the meat off the back legs and cut the loins off to freeze them until I want to use them (a rabbit & Chorizo risotto is a favourite). The last one I did, the rabbit was still quite tough in spite of being soaked in brine overnight (it must have been an older rabbit).

It's my understnading that the bitterness comes from the bones. Mark Gilchrist says in one of his videos that you can't use rabbit bones for making stock as they impart bitterness. He also says that soaking them in water invites bacteria to spread/germinate. Is there any truth in that does anyone know?

I've now given it a try a few times without soaking and can't tell the difference, certainly no bitterness. I bought the field to fork DVD at the game fair and have tried a few recipes off there, and they've all been spot on.

I used to soaked them overnight and it was a bit off a faff having to sort them out the day after. Field to freezer jointed, diced or minced the same night for me from now on.

I've never soaked mine.

I freeze mine as soon as they are cleaned (kills off any unseen tape worm eggs).

My favourite way of cooking them is in a slow cooker with loads of veggies, chicken and veg stock cubes, some dried herbs, then cover the lot with wine or vinegar and cook for about 7 hours on 'low'.

Remove all bones and return everything to the pot and serve.

As mentioned, soaking in salt water helps draw out any blood. If I have a rabbit with some bruising on it, I ***** the bruise and use a flat edge of a knife to get as much blood out. This is done under cold running water. I usually soak the rabbit overnight, as at least for half a day. I find that any remaining blood in the bruise has been drwan out.

Steve.