Why is .243 such a popular Deer round?

I've been reading the forums a lot recently and it seems that the .243 camp has a lot of members! And when a newbie comes along looking for a Deer rifle, they always ask .243 or .308?

The more I read, the more I wonder why? Yes it will work, but it's hardly perfect. It is just about legal energy wise and when shooting 100gr bullets in Scotland it's right at the limit of it's bullet weight unless you have a fast twist barrel. Quite often people find the accuracy drops off at 100 grains and prefer to go slightly lighter down south where they can.

When you look at it that way, why do so many people support it? Why not use something bigger? .25-06 is fast, flat and throws more weight comfortably although it is a bit harsh. 6.5x55 or .260 are mild rounds which again handle the weight better but don't knock your shoulder for it. Then there's 7x57 or 7-08 which is going a bit on the large side if the gun is to be used for Foxing but is otherwise still good.

I guess I just don't get why people love it so much? What good points does it have that aren't covered by slightly bigger rounds? Trajectory is an issue I suppose, but not in every day Deer stalking. Shots are most often taken at about 100 yards and between that and 200, there ain't much in it no matter what calibre you use. :look:

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder whether people think by applying for the smallest legal calibre they are more likely to be granted?

I am mulling over what to put in for a deer variation at this very moment so will be very interested in some of the answers.

At the moment I was toying with a .308 or a 6.5X55 but toyed with putting in for both. Three years left to run on FAC and I could have them both collected by then.

I was originally going for a .243 and a .308... ended up ditching the .243 and now have a 6.5x55 and a .308.. a couple of people have comented that they are very close ballistically and one or the other would suffice but the .308 can put out almost a thousand more foot pounds with a moderate weight bullet over the 6.5 so I don't see them as being close at all..

6.5 is used for everyday stalking particularly south of the border and is incredibly flexible, accurate, easy on the shoulder etc, .308 is larger beasts in Scotland and target shooting and is bloomin good fun right out to 1k and beyond (a bit)... paper only before I get jumped on!!

I would also guess the .243 is a good fox/deer compromise... I know my plod weren't keen to let me have fox on my 6.5 and would only do it 'whilst shooting deer' :rolleyes: but then, I'm not a fox shooter so it doesn't really affect me! I always understood .243 to be a staple fox calibre

Edited by Vipa

I wonder whether people think by applying for the smallest legal calibre they are more likely to be granted?

That's a fair point, but the 6.5 or .260 doesn't have a great deal more energy, rather they just throw a more suitable bullet weight? And I think most firearms departments accept that within reason a Deer calibre is a Deer calibre. They're all pretty dangerous if handled incorrectly.

That's a fair point, but the 6.5 or .260 doesn't have a great deal more energy, rather they just throw a more suitable bullet weight? And I think most firearms departments accept that within reason a Deer calibre is a Deer calibre. They're all pretty dangerous if handled incorrectly.

max on a .243 is what... 100gr... I can go all the way up to 160gr with the 6.5 and put out 5-600ft lbs more than a .243... can also go right down the other end and get an 80 gr bullet going like a bat out of hell... The .243 is versatile but is a lightweight compared to the middleweight 6.5 compared to the middle/heavyweight .308

But... there's no doubting, the .243 has a very healthy following.

Edited by Vipa

I think that the 6.5 is a better deer round, the .243 seems better suited to a lighter bullet at a fast velocity.

I have found a substancial amount of bullet damage with them.

People like them because they are a good fox round that can be used legally and effectivily for smaller deer.

I stepped up from a .243 to a .270 just for the ability to load a greater range of projectiles,I currently load a 110g Fast flat round for Fox, 130g for Deer but if I ever get the chance to Stalk larger species I have the ability to step it up to 150g. The .243 I had was an excellent all round rifle for Fox & Deer but I think the more you do and get into it you prefer to taylor things to your own desires.

Fine. If you reload your own you can calm the round down throwing any 130g bullet at 3100+ will cause extensive damage mine are down at the 2800 and give a clean kill with minimal damage. Also bullet choice plays a big part the 110 are violent little bullets when being wound through fast. 130 soft point bonded bullet steady velocity and does a neat job

I've been reading the forums a lot recently and it seems that the .243 camp has a lot of members! And when a newbie comes along looking for a Deer rifle, they always ask .243 or .308?

The more I read, the more I wonder why? Yes it will work, but it's hardly perfect. It is just about legal energy wise and when shooting 100gr bullets in Scotland it's right at the limit of it's bullet weight unless you have a fast twist barrel. Quite often people find the accuracy drops off at 100 grains and prefer to go slightly lighter down south where they can.

When you look at it that way, why do so many people support it? Why not use something bigger? .25-06 is fast, flat and throws more weight comfortably although it is a bit harsh. 6.5x55 or .260 are mild rounds which again handle the weight better but don't knock your shoulder for it. Then there's 7x57 or 7-08 which is going a bit on the large side if the gun is to be used for Foxing but is otherwise still good.

I guess I just don't get why people love it so much? What good points does it have that aren't covered by slightly bigger rounds? Trajectory is an issue I suppose, but not in every day Deer stalking. Shots are most often taken at about 100 yards and between that and 200, there ain't much in it no matter what calibre you use. :look:

If you check it out the .243" win wins a lot of tactical type comps (more target lads would use it but it burns barrels too quick, so your looking at two tubes a season) in stalking etc 1500 rounds is a lifetime of shooting not so for the target lads though who might double that in a season. Reason is it shoots very well from all stances having minimum recoil yet better downrange balistics than a .223 say and very reliable feeding. With extra long barrels and heavy VLD bullets (often on an improved shoulder) it has also done pretty good in 1000yds benchrest, holding the British record untill the event of the short magnums.

With correct bullet choice it will kill any UK deer, with lighter faster 70-80grn varmint bullets it might be the ultimate open ground foxer and with lighter stuff it makes a good high speed, low ricochet potential long range crow bosher etc. In reality although you might think on paper a 7-08 rem or .270 etc is a more effective deer rifle most users will shoot a .243 with greater presision under field conditions and it is were you put the shot that matters most.

Now imagine you have just traveled a few hundred miles to go stalking with you 7mm-08 or 7x57 etc. yet you have neglected to take sufficient ammo or left it all in the safe at home, walk into most smaller gun dealers and they will have a fair suply of .243 on the shelves. Now go into any larger shops and you will find brass and a large selection of bullet heads, powder etc idealy suited to the calibre (thats important in the uk)

As a meat mangler it has a bad reputation but this is just due to the fact that some fools insist on using varmint bullets through lack of knoledge or perhaps lack of consideration for the meat. With care and testing you will find a perfect bullet for all 5 British deer though, remember though that an adult fully mature red stag is far bigger than a yearling Roe doe and any play off works both ways

There are better calibres for big reds on the hill and rutting Sika stags in the woods, but the .243 will still do it. I had a few early bad experiances myself with meat damage and failure to get a good blood strike, though bullet selection, placement and a good dog solved them to my satisfaction, recently i sold my larger calibre rifle but you wont get my .243 off me anytime soon :good:

I think that the 6.5 is a better deer round, the .243 seems better suited to a lighter bullet at a fast velocity.

I have found a substancial amount of bullet damage with them.

People like them because they are a good fox round that can be used legally and effectivily for smaller deer.

Correction on your wording if i might. The .243 is legal on all UK deer large or small but you need 100 grn bullets for any but roe in scotland

This debate rumbles on and on, use what you are confident with, **** the law and if it is JUST legal, it IS legal, and it works, *** many .243 rounds are capable of 2000+ft lb, if you can't stop ANY deer with that then someone needs some shooting lessons, they do NOT want to be granted a BIGGER callibre to cover their shortcommings! :good:

I know they will stop any Deer. But others will do it better.

I also know that a bigger round doesn't make up for poor shot placement. But is the .243 really that much easier to shoot than say a 6.5 or .260. And if they were as popular, shops would stock them too. What I really wonder is why it became so popular that everyone stocks it in the first place? :look:

I know they will stop any Deer. But others will do it better.

I also know that a bigger round doesn't make up for poor shot placement. But is the .243 really that much easier to shoot than say a 6.5 or .260. And if they were as popular, shops would stock them too. What I really wonder is why it became so popular that everyone stocks it in the first place? :look:

How do you know that other will do better if you never perservered and tried the advice offered? It became so popular worldwide coz it a blooming good round and has stood the test of time against the others. Does it kick less than a 6.5mm? of course it does unless you load your 6.5mm with 95 grn varmint ammo, simple physics equal and opposite effects. The .260 might possibly be a better deer specific round (if you are looking at lots of larger deer in the mix) balistically speaking. Though try getting another 20 rounds of ammo from a store in the highlands, good grief Lapua have only recently started making brass for it and compare the cost and availability with .243 lapua- i think i should neck up rather than buy specific. Also is the 6.5 x 47 not superiour again? will it exist in another decade? the 47 will give better barrel life, less wear on the brass uses less powder etc. the .243 certainly will be with us and just as popular in another 10yrs.

Its mostly down to personal preference as the 243 is an easy round to shoot and give people more confidence to squeeze the trigger without flinching,whereas the 270 is a beast and lost popularity as people are slightly built now a days and so unable to absorb the extra recoil hence the popularity of the 308.

At 16 stone I have no problem with the 270 and love it to bits as its a flat shooting round and has the ability to pull anything down that wanders the countryside.Awesome on foxes and as you can imagine they dont get up.

Try a few different calibres and see what gives you the most confidence.

Its mostly down to personal preference as the 243 is an easy round to shoot and give people more confidence to squeeze the trigger without flinching,whereas the 270 is a beast and lost popularity as people are slightly built now a days and so unable to absorb the extra recoil hence the popularity of the 308.

At 16 stone I have no problem with the 270 and love it to bits as its a flat shooting round and has the ability to pull anything down that wanders the countryside.Awesome on foxes and as you can imagine they dont get up.

Try a few different calibres and see what gives you the most confidence.

I really dont find it that much of a beast compared to the old GPMG or SLR!!!!

its simply down to what people shoot, few people buy a .243 just for deer. I chose it because it is one of the best foxing rounds and I want to shoot deer as well so it fits rather well. Everyone and their dog goes for larger calibers and spouts rubbish about big red stags and going abroad for bears and all sorts to justify them but when you look at facts these things cost big bucks so are out of the reach for most. Big hill stags I'd borrow an estate rifle and work on the fact it was a once in a blue moon event. The .243 for me means I can go out whenever I like with it and use it, foxing means it gets a reasonable amount of use and boy does it put them down. Meat damage can be an issue but what I don't get is how a caliber that some claim does so much damage also isn't capable. To my mind its a pretty flat shooting easy to use gun reloading is simple for it ammo is available everywhere for it if you go down that route. One things for sure not many guns let you use a 55 grn bullet at 4000fps and still go up to 100grns for deer

its simply down to what people shoot, few people buy a .243 just for deer. I chose it because it is one of the best foxing rounds and I want to shoot deer as well so it fits rather well. Everyone and their dog goes for larger calibers and spouts rubbish about big red stags and going abroad for bears and all sorts to justify them but when you look at facts these things cost big bucks so are out of the reach for most. Big hill stags I'd borrow an estate rifle and work on the fact it was a once in a blue moon event. The .243 for me means I can go out whenever I like with it and use it, foxing means it gets a reasonable amount of use and boy does it put them down. Meat damage can be an issue but what I don't get is how a caliber that some claim does so much damage also isn't capable. To my mind its a pretty flat shooting easy to use gun reloading is simple for it ammo is available everywhere for it if you go down that route. One things for sure not many guns let you use a 55 grn bullet at 4000fps and still go up to 100grns for deer

and all that fox and vermin work helps you make a better shot when that big stag comes along, beware the man with one gun he probebly knows how to use it :good: i shouldn't bother with the estate rifle just make sure you have a 100 partision or similar loaded :yes:

Ouch!

well the last bear looked like this :oops:

Close-up_of_mole.jpg

you have to wonder the reasoning behind needing to post this question on here and elsewhere when the reasoning is purely down to the op using the wrong bullets in one and keeping the gun 6 months. Without the internet I'm sure we wouldn't think the .243 was marginal for deer its amazing how the rumours go and how people need a larger gun due to poor bullet placement and incorrect bullet choice. We've been here before numerous runners with a hornet down to poor choice of bullet. As the saying goes you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

well the last bear looked like this :oops:

Close-up_of_mole.jpg

you have to wonder the reasoning behind needing to post this question on here and elsewhere when the reasoning is purely down to the op using the wrong bullets in one and keeping the gun 6 months. Without the internet I'm sure we wouldn't think the .243 was marginal for deer its amazing how the rumours go and how people need a larger gun due to poor bullet placement and incorrect bullet choice. We've been here before numerous runners with a hornet down to poor choice of bullet. As the saying goes you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

Gosh with beasties like that about i needs to get me a bigger gun :yes:

So you'd expect a 45gr SP bullet designed specifically for the Hornet and labelled "varminter" not to work on Fox then would you Al4x? You're a better man than me if you can honestly say you would have figured that out without advice from others?!

And what's with the "excuses" comment? Not sure what that's about? It cost me £300 more to go to Canada for a month than it did to go to Spain for two days for my cousins wedding. It's not what you know, it's who you know. If you want to go for a walk in Bear country with a .243 then that's fine, but as I've actually been there and done it, I'd rather not. The .338WM is one of America's most popular Bear and Elk rounds so my choice wasn't that stupid.

"Ouch" covers it nicely I think. There's more bitching going on here than in the local hairdressers recently and to be honest it's all a bit boring.

So you'd expect a 45gr SP bullet designed specifically for the Hornet and labelled "varminter" not to work on Fox then would you Al4x? You're a better man than me if you can honestly say you would have figured that out without advice from others?!

And what's with the "excuses" comment? Not sure what that's about? It cost me £300 more to go to Canada for a month than it did to go to Spain for two days for my cousins wedding. It's not what you know, it's who you know. If you want to go for a walk in Bear country with a .243 then that's fine, but as I've actually been there and done it, I'd rather not. The .338WM is one of America's most popular Bear and Elk rounds so my choice wasn't that stupid.

"Ouch" covers it nicely I think. There's more bitching going on here than in the local hairdressers recently and to be honest it's all a bit boring.

hear hear!

njc

I see that you have posed the sane question on other forums.

Truthfully i think Alex has summed it up. Anyone with any sense buys the caliber that will suit their needs and truthfully a .243 will cover the average shooters every need. I certainly would not part with mine as it makes for a super light easy to use truck gun, is perfectly suited to foxing and lamping needs and is more than capable of taking any large red I wish to cull.

Yes, if you want a dedicated stalking rifle there are better calibers, I've got one, but to answer your question nothing I've ever had comes close to the .243 for pure versatility.