gas bottle log burners

mel b3

hiya fellas , i was looking for a log burner to cut down on heating costs a few months ago , i did a google and came across gas bottle log burners , they look pretty cool so ive been making a few for friends and family.

hopefully my pics will work :good:

post-1082-0-11125700-1315050359.jpg

post-1082-0-30081800-1315050386.jpg

post-1082-0-24355700-1315050430.jpg

post-1082-0-83257100-1315050468.jpg

post-1082-0-48842000-1315050498.jpg

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Log burners look really neat - well done ! :good:

thanks mate , im enjoying making them , the only problem is , when any of my mates come around and see them , they want one as well , im struggling to keep up with demand lol.

i was toying with the idea of making a very ornate one for myself , having seen the above smoker i think thatll be my next project.

Looks good mate :good: do you work to any plans/drawings ??? do you need to purge them to minimise explosion risk :oops:

hiya tam , i remove the brass valve to release as much gas as possible , i then fill the bottles to the top with water several times to force out any gas pockets.

i dont use any plans , i just sort of follow my nose and use any old bits of scrap that i can find really , i have lots of ideas for different styles but at the moment im struggling just to keep up with demand , they really are very easy to make though .

Well done you. :good: :good: Have you seen the small cylinders, used for camping with a length of exhaust pipe on the back. Some can be had with a hot plate on the top for cooking. Well done :good:

Paladin

thats another project for the future , i wanted to use a gas bottle laying on its side that you fill from the end , i want to put a hot plate on it for making tea and frying onions when we have a bbq

They look neat, well done. You might also consider a 90 degree bend on the end of the flue pipe to stop the rain running down the pipe and rusting the inside of the burner.

A

id thought about a top hat for the same reason but i havent had time to make and test one yet , i think it may affect the draw and burn rate .

the gas bottles appear to be made out of some kind of low rust steel , its also very thick and strong.

I love my Chimenea's and use them all the time, but these look great, do you make for other people?

ill make them for anyone as long as they dont mind joining the que lol , im struggling to get enough empty gas bottles at the moment lol

They look great, we use our chiminea often but it's starting to rust.........and it's on it's second coat of HR paint as well :rolleyes: , cheap chinese **** compared to something a little more substantial :good:

personally i think they look better when the paint has burned off , just more sort of rough and ready , i have a bbq that i made from a large propane bottle about ten years ago , when we have a big bbq we can sometimes have it burning for 12 hours and cook for up to 90 people , the steel from the propane bottle is still like new , it just has a light coating of rust :o

Nice job - great minds think alike :good: ... One I made several weeks ago along similar lines:

heater1.jpgheater2.jpg

I was surprised at just how much heat they radiate even burning all sorts of very poor quality firewood. I still have it in mind to add a swing in/out type grill / hotplate to it for cooking the odd baked potato or burger but just haven't gotten around to it yet. I wish I hadn't of left it outside uncovered, it looked so much better with a nice fresh coat of stoveblack - like yours.

Edited by paul99