gas bottle log burners

mel b3

Nice job - great minds think alike :good: ... One I made several weeks ago along similar lines:

heater1.jpgheater2.jpg

I was surprised at just how much heat they radiate even burning all sorts of very poor quality firewood. I still have it in mind to add a swing in/out type grill / hotplate to it for cooking the odd baked potato or burger but just haven't gotten around to it yet. I wish I hadn't of left it outside uncovered, it looked so much better with a nice fresh coat of stoveblack - like yours.

yours looks very well made ,those hinges will never break , i have lots of ideas for future burners / smokers , im just struggling to keep up with demand at the moment and havent had time to try out different things .

i think they look much better when theyre burned and a little bit rusty , they just sort of look more rustic and natural :good:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yours looks very well made ,those hinges will never break , i have lots of ideas for future burners / smokers , im just struggling to keep up with demand at the moment and havent had time to try out different things .

i think they look much better when theyre burned and a little bit rusty , they just sort of look more rustic and natural :good:

The hinges are a bit OTT and were the result of being lazy and using what was to hand rather than go and look through the scrap pile for somthing more suitable but they don't look that out of place and should last :lol: . I learnt quite a bit doing this first one and come up with all sorts of ideas for the next one - if I ever get around to making another.

You try taking one back and getting your 'deposit' back, You Wont !!

Not only that but if you're lucky you can come across old bottles from companies that have long given up supplying bottled gas (as with mine above) - no other company will take or refill them and scrap yards will refuse to take them too - so you're stuck with them - might as well make something useful out of them.

personally i think they look better when the paint has burned off , just more sort of rough and ready , i have a bbq that i made from a large propane bottle about ten years ago , when we have a big bbq we can sometimes have it burning for 12 hours and cook for up to 90 people , the steel from the propane bottle is still like new , it just has a light coating of rust :o

I know what you mean, I like a worn look to things, it's just this one we have looks like it'll have holes in it in no time if I didn't bother to treat it......the metal is so thin, 'tis more like tin.

I know what you mean, I like a worn look to things, it's just this one we have looks like it'll have holes in it in no time if I didn't bother to treat it......the metal is so thin, 'tis more like tin.

i know what you mean , i guess thats the beauty of gas bottles , theyre contructed to withstand massive pressures and heat far beyond what they will ever see as a bbq / log burner / smoker

What sort of moneydo you charge for these ?

the smaller and larger sizes?

to be honest , most of the ones ive made have been given away for free (friends and relatives) , the ones that i have accepted cash for have given me between £30 / £50 , ive just said "give me what you think its worth" .

Mel b3 do you open up the threaded hole where the brass valve is for the chimney i think you idea is very good we made a roller but will be making a few chimneas for the garden we will copy your design if you dont mind i will post you a picture in the next couple of days

Mark

i cut hole in the top of the bottle that is the same diameter as the chimney , if its a round chimney i use a jigsaw and if its a square chimney i use an angle grinder with a cutting disk .

feel free to use my design but it could very easily be made better or more decorative with very little effort , i just havent had chance to do it yet.

the burners look great. Have you tried making smokers out of gas bottles?

Fish Smoker, Empty calor gas bottle converted into a fish smoker/bbq

Wow only just looked at the link and you have some very impressive designs :good: - I picked up a few more neat ideas for the next one :) the swing in/out grill is similar to what I had in mind for mine although I doubt it'll be quite as elegantly put together as yours. One thing that's baffling me though is your door catch I presume you have to wind on a fancy nut for want of a better description to keep it shut or am I missing something?

I used 2 gas bottles to make a prototype wood burner a couple of years ago, I haven't got round to making the final one yet as the prototype works pretty well and the complicated cut I had to do to fit one to the other took some time to get right.

This one 'floats' in the fireplace, it's a bit rough but you get the idea.

post-20802-0-72259800-1315238740.jpg

post-20802-0-20279100-1315238754.jpg

I used 2 gas bottles to make a prototype wood burner a couple of years ago, I haven't got round to making the final one yet as the prototype works pretty well and the complicated cut I had to do to fit one to the other took some time to get right.

This one 'floats' in the fireplace, it's a bit rough but you get the idea.

now that my friend is impressive :good:

Mel b3 :

At only £30 - £50 a piece I think you're doing yourself a disservice.

I bet the extra metal for hinges and chimmney, legs/feet cost a fair bit.

I wouldn't be suprised if you couldn't market these somewhere nearer £75 - £100 if you could finish them all nicely.

Look at what they charge for metal fire pits, metal chimneas, all of which are much thinner mild steel.

Good luck :good:

Mel b3 :

At only £30 - £50 a piece I think you're doing yourself a disservice.

I bet the extra metal for hinges and chimmney, legs/feet cost a fair bit.

I wouldn't be suprised if you couldn't market these somewhere nearer £75 - £100 if you could finish them all nicely.

Look at what they charge for metal fire pits, metal chimneas, all of which are much thinner mild steel.

Good luck :good:

i know but it was never my intention to sell them lol , i only made one because id seen one on the net and fancied a bit of a challenge .

im not buying any of the steel at the moment , each burner is individual because i make them out of scrap , so far ive used , gas bottles , road signs , bed frames , all thread , old trailer , gas pipe , mole traps lol , and any other bits of scap metal that i can scrounge .

Gents.

As many of you know, gas cylinders are my business.

Please tread very carefully with this one.

The gas cylinders remain the property of the gas company, Calor Gas, Flogas etc.

Taking one and cutting it up, even if you find it, or are given it, is theft, plain and simple.

Cutting into an LPG or any other gas cylinder which has not been correctly purged is very dangerous. Some of you know that I was very nearly killed a few years ago whilst working on a faulty cylinder. I was lucky, I survived, and carry the scars to prove it. Others who have gone before me, and after me have not been so lucky; so please don't do it.

webber

So what's the story if the LPG supplier has gone out of business? If the company doesn't exist surely they can't own the bottle?

Or you grind off the paint and don't get caught... :yp: You naughty naughty boys you!

Also: anyone who cuts into a full/partially full cylinder deserves to be splashed out of the gene pool, natural selection at its best! When I source some angle iron and some tube for a chimney I will be having a crack at a back garden burner myself, thanks for the inspiration OP.

So what's the story if the LPG supplier has gone out of business? If the company doesn't exist surely they can't own the bottle?

The cylinder assets are purchased by another gas company.

As an example Alta Gas took over Mersey Gas and Maxi Gas to name a few. Alta Gas went bust about 10 years ago, the assets were purchased by Flogas.

Rawgas and Nugas ceased trading many years ago, my company purchased the cylinder assets; cylinders are still coming out of the woodwork and are returned to us via a number of agents and within the industry.

webber

Gents.

As many of you know, gas cylinders are my business.

Please tread very carefully with this one.

The gas cylinders remain the property of the gas company, Calor Gas, Flogas etc.

Taking one and cutting it up, even if you find it, or are given it, is theft, plain and simple.

Cutting into an LPG or any other gas cylinder which has not been correctly purged is very dangerous. Some of you know that I was very nearly killed a few years ago whilst working on a faulty cylinder. I was lucky, I survived, and carry the scars to prove it. Others who have gone before me, and after me have not been so lucky; so please don't do it.

webber

hiya webber , hows things mate ? , i think about you and your accident every time i cut a bottle and it makes me very very carefull indeed , i well remember the pictures of your burns when you were in hospital .