what is the best way to kill a pigeon (humane)

Kikkan

Some times you need to put the bird out of it's suffering...

How do you guys do it?

I heard that you should not strangle a bird since a birds bones contains lodes of oxygen as they are hollow.

I must say, i have tried a few different things, but i can not put my finger on what works best really.

One time i said to myself.. The next pigeon that does not die right away, ill try and snap its neck.

Well... it worked, but it was not the prettiest sight in the world...I ended up with the birds head in my hand, and a flapping bird on the ground :lol::good:

What do you guys think is the best?

A pigeon was the first thing my dad ever gave me to kill. I had watched him break the necks of chickens and pheasants and did just as he had taught me. And ended up with it's head in one hand and the body in another :blush: . I now use dispatching pliers, although I have in the past used a preist on their heads quite effectivly.

Ft

You seem to forget COLIN that possibly 90% of the pigeons shot by the people on this forum are shot using shotguns,therefore some will require despatching.I use a dog to retrieve any that are wounded and then use dispatching pliers,but if a dog is not available then I also use a second shot.

Some times you need to put the bird out of it's suffering...

How do you guys do it?

I heard that you should not strangle a bird since a birds bones contains lodes of oxygen as they are hollow.

I must say, i have tried a few different things, but i can not put my finger on what works best really.

One time i said to myself.. The next pigeon that does not die right away, ill try and snap its neck.

Well... it worked, but it was not the prettiest sight in the world...I ended up with the birds head in my hand, and a flapping bird on the ground :good::good:

What do you guys think is the best?

just ask or watch any exsperienced shooter just ring its neck no need for these humane wots its if you dont no how you should not be shooting on youre own yet 35 pounds i dont think so

I think I am safe to shoot on my own and nobody has, as yet, complained about shooting with me.

My pliers were a present from my dad and they work well thanks.

I too have seen people bite pigeons and pheasants heads to kill them, if you knew a bit more about the diseases that pigeons can carry I don't think you would :good::lol: Me I prefer my food dead, cooked and preferably on a plate :)

Ft

You dont bite the head of a bird!

Thats lack of respect for a animal, and if you do it, your not a real hunter.. Just a idiot trying to be "cool"

I can't even uderstand why people even makes jokes about it. :lol:

And im sure not all of them are jokes also. :good:

Show some respect for the animals you hunt!

Edited by Kikkan