best cartridge people have found

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heard of the D&J ones but not come across them for sale locally or via mail order...

I have everything in fibre wad, but find this makes the barrels a lot dirtier and thus harder to clean than plastic wad. But hay hoe.

I have tried (recently):

Gamebore Clear Pigeon 32g 6s 70mm

Fiocchi sporting Pigeon 32g 6s 67mm

Fiocchi PL 32g 5s 67mm

Rio game load (super game) 32g 5s 70mm

Hull special pigeon 32g 6s 70mm

Hull Steel game 32g 4s and 5s 70mm photo-degradeable plastic wad

The steels are not made in photodegradeable plastic anymore, so won't be buying those again, but the barrels don't look like they've hardly had a shot fired through even after 200 or so fired. Fine and cheap for use over decoys, but possibly not the best for long range stuff (roost shooting etc)

Rio seems for me by far the cleanest in the barrels after shooting (for a fibre cart)and seem to do the job well for me especially those long range shots I like to have a go at.

Fiocchi work well, but my semi 'prefers' 70mm carts and dirty in the barrels afterwards.

Gamebore's clear pigeon also work well, barrels pretty dirty afterwards and I like using 5s for my long range shots (not available in 5s)

Hull Special pigeon seems similiar to the gamebore, just more expensive.

Will probably stick with rio as they are fairly cheap,cycle well, kill at long range (seem to for me anyway), clean in the barrels (ish), available in 5s.

Anyone know of any carts with Photodegradeable plastic wads in that are cheap?

I've been using Eley VIP game cartridges with photo-degradeable wads for some time. I got a last minute invitation to a partridge shoot the other week and at the pre shoot briefing it was stated fibre wads only. I asked the host, who I know well whether the Eley PDs would be OK and he said not as the amount of shooting the estate has the place would look like a clay ground. Apparently the degradeability is not much better than ordinary plaswads. Fortunately I was able to buy some Eley Grand Prix from him for a fiver a box (mates rates), but should have had the wit to buy a 1000 for the season but hey ho.

I went to countrywide to look at some Eleys and they wanted £8 + a box ....................

crazy money.

Went to a gun dealer and they were doing most boxes mainly (llyvale) for about £5.

How can anyone justify £8 a box on 28g 6s??

:/

When I spoke to my local countrywide they told me its because they dont sell large amounts, only shifting a box or 2 to farmers when theyre in for something else.

I pointed out that they would sell alot more if they bought the prices in line and were prepared to sell in bulk (it's not like they havent got the storage space!) Mr Manager was not impressed :lol:

And to answer the OP, having no permission at the moment I'm only smashing clays but having tried pretty much everyones clay cartridges, Kent Velocity in Fibre are doing the biz for me!

D

For me its got to be Gamebore Clear Pigeon 32g 6s 70mm

:good:

yep - they get my vote too.

ive heard the clear pigeons are good (george digweed swears buy them on you tube) how much are they?

i paid £177 a thousand in late dec last year, brought 2k, now wish i had brough more as i'm down to my last few boxes.

I went to countrywide to look at some Eleys and they wanted £8 + a box ....................

crazy money.

Went to a gun dealer and they were doing most boxes mainly (llyvale) for about £5.

How can anyone justify £8 a box on 28g 6s??

:/

where is this mate im in shropshire too wouldnt mind getting some at that price? :good:

For clays, Kent Velocity 28g 7.5 do the job, pigeons, clear pigeon 32g 6's, for pheasants either Extreme Game 32g 5's or Lylevale Express 34g 5's, for partridge, i often use the Kent Velocity 28g 7.5's early in the season, 6's later on. For flighted duck, Mamouth 3" 34g steel 4's, for driven duck on our syndicate Bismuth 32g 4's (fibre rule)

I can miss quite happily with all of the above (so PhilR woud have you believe)

Edited by blackla

Being relatively new to shooting i'm still working through my first 1000 cart's, Hull CompX, they seem ok, certainly very clean, barely a mark in the barrel after 75 cart's.

Not sure if they pattern too well through my Lincoln though, seems like there's a big clay sized hole in the middle of the pattern! :lol::lol::lol:

Shooting pigeon from a hide or at roost it's a job to match Eley HB 32g 6.5 shot, if your gun doesn't mind the kick.

I've just shot through a slab of Gamebore 32g no6 in the black case (Clear pigeon?) and they are OK but not as good as the Eley above. JMHO.

For game in 12 bore Hull Sterling Game 32g no 6.

For game in 20 bore Hull Sterling Game 28g no 6.

The Eley 20 bore VIP 28g shell in the plaswad biodegradable is also a very sweet cartridge.

Edited by Whitebridges

yep - they get my vote too.

i paid £177 a thousand in late dec last year, brought 2k, now wish i had brough more as i'm down to my last few boxes.

Gamebore clear pigeon all the way superb cartridge, although Im quite taken with Gamebore's "Black Gold" 6 shot 32g I bought a 100 for a test and was impressed I might use for my game days. Im always puzzled about the worry of the "dirty barrel" syndrome I really cant see its makes a monkey watnots , its whether the cartridge does it for you, cleaning your barrel/barrels after shooting is something you have to do the amount of fowling after a quick pull or push through is negligable, sadley I actually like cleaning my guns after shooting

Alan