vitara commitment

Davyo

Problem is i fancy a grand vitar 2.0lt td. at the moment i have a fiesta zetec s 1.6 tdi.With the seats down i have no problem getting all the gear in. but its not what you would call a shooting wagon.I have to put all my gear on a trolly if the dirt tracks are too bad.Buying a 4x4 would be no problem.My big dilema is my FIESTA does 62.8mpg(vitar 38mpg) combined & 50.2mpg(vitara 28mpg) around the doors (68.9 extra urban), plus 30 quid road tax per year(vitara 245 quid). Should i just plough on with humping gear around & using the trolly or commit to buying the vitara? I KNOW YOU CAN NOT DRIVE ON FIELDS OR DRIVE AROUND THE EDGES(THE ROUGH) AS IN SOME CASES FARMERS ARE GIVEN GRANTS FOR THESE AND THEY CAN LOSE THE GRANT IF THESE ARE DRIVEN OVER.(AT LEAST THATS WHAT THE LAND OWNER SAID WHERE I USED TO BE ON SYNDICATE(WE HAD TO CARRY THE CORN TO FILL OUR HOPPERS) I just want to be able to drive down tracks or be able to pull of the country lane into the sides without worrying about getting stuck.SHOULD I THINK WITH MY HEAD OR FOLLOW MY HEART????

i had the same kind of dilemma a few years ago,i used to use the family zafira to go ferreting and shooting,one place i go is just passable in a car,but coming back loaded with rabbits it bottomed out a few times,so decided to get a 4x4,couldnt go back to a normal car now,and if i need to i use the wifes focus,best thing i ever did,especially with getting more permissions where i need a 4x4,best of luck with your choice mate...

DAZ :good:

I think this is a dilemma for many and I am thinking about the same problem.

We have looked at a vitara - they are consumptive, a bit noisy and a bundle in road tax and insurance, not good reviews, but pleasant to drive.

Perhaps the best solution is keep your Ford for general use and invest in an older, cheaper, and more flexible shooting option ?

An old vitara, a vauxhall, or a Jimny.

I dont think its wise to sacrifice your new car for a new comsumptive 4x4 - I'd asvise just bying a 'lost cause' shooting vehicle as cheaply as poss.

All the best.

I think this is a dilemma for many and I am thinking about the same problem.

We have looked at a vitara - they are consumptive, a bit noisy and a bundle in road tax and insurance, not good reviews, but pleasant to drive.

Perhaps the best solution is keep your Ford for general use and invest in an older, cheaper, and more flexible shooting option ?

An old vitara, a vauxhall, or a Jimny.

I dont think its wise to sacrifice your new car for a new comsumptive 4x4 - I'd asvise just bying a 'lost cause' shooting vehicle as cheaply as poss.

All the best.

My fiesta is our second car as the wife has just got a new fiesta titanium 1.6 tdi(20 qid road tax and milage takes some beleiving it litterally runs on fresh air) so i will only be using the 4x4 for shooting & the odd jaunt out if it snows. our cars have a combined road tax of 50quid, its just i know i'll feel sick every time i cough up 245 quid for the 4x4

you have the same problem i had with a pug 306 dt and when it failed its mot miserably i was chuffed to bits to have an excuse to buy a vit :) the boot is verry small but when the seats fold down theres enough room for all your guns and ferreting gear unless you are into carp fishing then the 12 ft rods also occupy the dash board :) with offroad tyres and no other mods it is a great lamping / ferreting transporter and when i was after insurance sureterm direct where the cheapest i could find after a leanghy search. it has been returning 220 miles to a £45 fill at current petrol prices.

i hope that helps atb archie.

#but if you check for that first and you find a tidy one and underseal it then it wont will it? mines 14 years old and its mint!

My 1994 M Reg passed MOT with nothing but a new exhaust mount and a light bulb. (Nothing on the advisory either). The mechanic commented on how impressed he was with the lack of rust on the chassis (on mine at least).

Vitara is easily one of the best little trucks I've had, but I understand the financial dilemma, what about a cheap old quad and a trailer to tow it behind the fiesta? £1000 would easily get you that so the money you would've spent on road tax would be made back in a couple of years, and you could use it for feeding to.

The other option is a jimny, slightly smaller than the vit but just as capable.

Regards

Gixer

davo iv got a vitara and was in same position as you mate with a peogeut 406 hdi good on fuel but sick of groundin out going down lanes

so bit the bullet and went back to a 4x4 and im really pleased with it but fuel wise is not great but awsum of road

hope this helps mate .....swiss

Edited by swiss.tony

Get yourself a land rover mate, you know it makes sense :D If its just for shooting then why not get an old tax exempt series and put it on a classic insurance policy with limited milage? You can run it on cooking/veg oil which will cost you virtually nothing in used form if you speak nicely to pubs or restruants. Oh and you wont look like a girl driving around in a hair dressers car :P

Cheers

Ben

Theres a lot to be said for a classic Landy OR toing a quad. However some people get all worked up about extra fuel consumption, its only relivent if you do the miles in the first place. For instance look at the values of 4x4 petrol guzzlers how relivent is it if you have to find thousands more for one that "saves" you money on fuel. Often we are talking many thousands cheaper- for a thirsty petrol variant- that will buy you a lot of petrol :good:

I no the fuel consumption sounds a lot worse but as its only your second car how many miles are you doing? if you work out the cost difference over the year including insurance and tax and know how many more pennies its actually gonna cost you can then make the decision whether or not owning the car is worth it, dont just look at indidual things look at the hole package. I am about to go pick up our new (to us) freelander and we are part exin a fiat 500. Its my fiancees car and she only does about 7000 miles a year so we decided the extra money was worth it for a 4x4 and another tow vehicle for the caravan and trailers etc.