gamo shadow 1000

rhyspigeon67

My lad had the Shadow RSV (lord knows why, the first thing we did was chuck away the scope and mounts and fit something reasonable) for about 2.5years. Very adequate gun, nothing special, and despite what it suggests forget any thought of 12ft lb.

I seem to recall the best we could get, out of around 22-25 different pellets we tried, was around 10.4ft lb. This still makes it perfectly usable for many quarry but plenty of the pellets were only delivering 7 or 8ft lb :yes::hmm:

Edited by Dekers

My lad had the Shadow RSV (lord knows why, the first thing we did was chuck away the scope and mounts and fit something reasonable) for about 2.5years. Very adequate gun, nothing special, and despite what it suggests forget any thought of 12ft lb.

I seem to recall the best we could get, out of around 22-25 different pellets we tried, was around 10.4ft lb. This still makes it perfectly usable for many quarry but plenty of the pellets were only delivering 7 or 8ft lb :yes::hmm:

thanks for the info, what pellets did you use to get 10.4ftlb thanks

I live for most of the year in South Africa and Gamo air guns are popular here and reasonably priced. I have owned a Hunter 440 and a Whisper X, both .177 calibre and my take is that you get a very decent air rifle for the money. Both of mine are capable of putting 10 shots in better than 19mm at 30 yards. The action of the Shadow 1000 is identical to the Hunter and Whisper series. My 'X' has had over 10000 pellets through it and 3 mainsprings and piston seals but it shoots spot on. To transform whats a pretty good air gun into something very good my advice is to replace the Mainspring when it breaks with a Maccari E3650 Ultra spring and fit a small Apex or Tesla seal also from Maccari. But probably the best improvement you can make to the way the stock gun shoots is to have a tight-fitting rear spring guide made up and fit a custom trigger blade mod. Because they are light the Gamos are great for shooting off-hand with the traditional "hunter" grip. The Shadow 1000 should come with the older style metal trigger blade and trigger block (later ones have a plastic trigger blade). In the UK I think Woodfield Gun Care Products make and sell a tune kit and custom trigger blade mod for Gamos I've heard good reports of these. My advice is get the Gamo Shadow and tune it - you will not be disappointed.

Good luck,

Deke

• 2 weeks later...

My mates got one of these and the place he bought it from tuned it up. I dont know what they did to it, but its pushing out 11.something when I chrono`d it the other year. He`s had numerous rabbits with it.

My dad also has one of these which he got earlier in the year and that only gives out about 8ft lb, but for what he wants (garden vermin) its ideal. Its a nice quality looking gun, solid, nice trigger action and gives a good grouping. For the money I think they are good.