Magazine conversion on Howa 1500

eddoakley

Just fitted a conversion kit to my Howa, from floorplate to 5 shot mag. Only £100 and simple to do but I'm just not sure if I like it :hmm:

Has anyone done it? Does the benefit of convenience outweight the down side of the extra protrusion of the mag from the stock?

I have never really had a problem with the floorplate but just fancied the magazine when I bought the gun and now that they are cheaper I thought that I would give it a go but now that its on I'm not so convinced..

Any advice/opinions?

Edd

Well Edd, i think you have just made my mind up for me,but unfortunately at your expense :rolleyes: .

I had considered getting the magazine conversion kit for my Howa 1500 but was'nt sure. I like the floorplate,nothing protruding like you say and nothing to snag so to speak.

Hmmm decisions :hmm: . How are you getting on with your Howa, i have'nt had mine long but it seems to be accurate and well built. I suppose you could always sell the mag conversion at some stage if you really find you don't like it. Might be worth persevering with it for a while. You might grow to like it :good:

ATB,

Pat

Thanks pat. The mag doesnt stick out very far but I'm just not sure. Like you say maybe a chance of snagging or even worse digging in your back when carrying. Nothing worse! :no:

I cant fault the Howa. Never let me down, seems to upset charlie and bambi!! They cant tell whether it cost £500 or £5000 and as I'm not a gun snob I'm more than happy with it :D

Aye, thats true enough :D . I did toy with the idea of a T3, but could'nt justify the extra expense. Tell you what i did buy shortly after getting the rifle though,one of those game reaper one piece mounts. They are machined out of a solid billet of aluminium. Cost me £79 but much better than the mounts that came supplied with the rifle. It simply bolts onto the receiver of the rifle and does away with the supplied weaver rail. Quality bit of kit,well worth the money. Mines in 243 by the way,covers my every need :good:

ATB,

Pat

Just fitted a conversion kit to my Howa, from floorplate to 5 shot mag. Only £100 and simple to do but I'm just not sure if I like it :hmm:

Has anyone done it? Does the benefit of convenience outweight the down side of the extra protrusion of the mag from the stock?

I have never really had a problem with the floorplate but just fancied the magazine when I bought the gun and now that they are cheaper I thought that I would give it a go but now that its on I'm not so convinced..

Any advice/opinions?

Edd

hi.if possible could you do a photo of the mag fixed to your rile.been thinking about getting the kit to convert my .223 1500.

cheers daz

hiya,is every body getting on fine with their howa,s,me and my mate are thinking of a one in 204,planning a trip out to have a look will start ringing around the rfd,s,just after xmas,will have to travel a fair way prob,s,as not much kept in stock local,do you all find em ok to use,no problem,s with them,as they seem a dam good rifle for the money,and like above,what ever,s at the receiving end dont care what it is,t3,s n stuff are just too expensive,but i supose it,s like the .22 rf,i love my cz,but some need to have an annie or whatever,but my rifles are well used,so i need something reliable and useable,any chance of a few pic,s,pm me if u want,and let me know how your all getting on with them,cheer,s and happy xmas folk,s,,ian

Well mate did you get a chance to take a few pics of the conversion?

Apparently not! :hmm::hmm::hmm:

Whatever, it can't stick out much, so whats the problem, it isn't a 50 shot banana Mag!

I have Tikkas and Remington in CF, the Tikkas are Mag, the Rem is a Floorplate, I hate the floorplate, give me a Mag every time, but I have no intention of spending daft money to change my Rem to a Magazine!!!

:good:

hiya radar,thank,s for posting the pic,s,,i had a look at the howa,s,last week,nice rifle.like the tika,s but way to pricey,going for a howa in 204,if i can get the 24" sporter barrel,all my other rifles have the mag,mainly cz,and it,s no bother,but the howa seem,s to drop down a fair way,will try with the floor plate i think,see how i get on,the kit does seem a bit pricey being plastic,but that,s just rip of britan again,,at least it,s there if i need it,when out with the .22 or hmr,i take a shot,then reload,then top up the mag straight away,unless there is a few target,s available,can you do that with the floorplate,or do you have to run her dry first ?,well of for a coffee,,ian

hiya radar,thank,s for posting the pic,s,,i had a look at the howa,s,last week,nice rifle.like the tika,s but way to pricey,going for a howa in 204,if i can get the 24" sporter barrel,all my other rifles have the mag,mainly cz,and it,s no bother,but the howa seem,s to drop down a fair way,will try with the floor plate i think,see how i get on,the kit does seem a bit pricey being plastic,but that,s just rip of britan again,,at least it,s there if i need it,when out with the .22 or hmr,i take a shot,then reload,then top up the mag straight away,unless there is a few target,s available,can you do that with the floorplate,or do you have to run her dry first ?,well of for a coffee,,ian

Hi Ian, I only went for the mag conversion as I have only ever had rifles with mags and was used to that and just couldn't get on with the floor plate though I have to agree its a lot of money for some plastic !

If I remember correctly you can just top up after each shot but I got the mag conversion quite soon after getting the rifle so my memory may be a bit faded or is that from last nights drink ???? :lol:

Before I start planning can anyone say what the max internal

length of the HOWA mag is please?

What actual measurement do you need ? Let me know and I'll go measure it :good:

:o

If remington did something similar, it would sell millions, but nobody does. Howa have made a more compact magazine that will fit through the floorplate inlet, if you use an AI mag, everything needs to be enlarged.

There are several Remington mag conversion kits available.

http://www.nwcustomparts.com/fullbore/mag_conv.html

SYSS do one as well.

None of them are reasonably priced though. :o