Chilli Growing

ollie

Few pics of chilli and other stuff in the greenhoose.

Tomatoes and most things are doing fine although pretty sure i can write off onions next year as they are getting forced way too much.

Some toms are on their 4th truss and the super sweet 100s and sweet millions are a very easy and high producing tomato if all flowers fruit.

Some chills are growing great whiles others are sluggishly slow but will give them time.Some have a high number of fruits already but seem to lack height and are very bushy but maybe thats the kind of them.Have lost track of what is what with some but the really hot ones are taking an age to shift.

006_zpsh1fzoypf.jpg

007_zpshn6ui0ab.jpg

008_zpsfffodsj9.jpg

009_zpsco7cul2m.jpg

010_zpsu5bl81ho.jpg

011_zpscrklzbwx.jpg

012_zpslanzc6ft.jpg

013_zpsy4mbsu57.jpg

014_zpsmsy6so8z.jpg

015_zpswr67rddr.jpg016_zpswydsvfq2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Some good pictures going on here.

Another update, things seem to be really kicking off, especially the brainstrain that hadn't really been doing anything. Maybe it's the hot weather?

IMG_20160728_101408_zpszld63tks.jpg

IMG_20160728_101403_zps6ktliupx.jpg

IMG_20160728_101416_zpsibnlau1c.jpg

IMG_20160728_101423_zpsikjkf2js.jpg

IMG_20160728_101558_zpsboxjfwdd.jpg

I think for ease of use the Autopots are an absolute winner. I've only filled the reservoir twice now so you cam almost forget about them. The dwc is good but the buckets ideally need the water changing every few weeks. Plus there is algae forming on roots and in buckets between changes so is actually a bit of work to clean up each time.

Surprisingly the control plant just in a pot on window sill is doing great. Whether it's getting slightly stronger feed solution or it's the optimum size pot for the plant who knows?

I'll probably get another 4 pot Autopot system or add a couple more to the existing tank as I really like the fill and forget aspect.

• 2 months later...

Things coming to an end and should have took pics prime but still plenty of tomatoes coming and have only really started picking the chilies.

Most toms produced well but will give the super sweet 100s a miss next time as small fruit and some trusses although very healthy in flower ended up producing very little.

Most were cherry types and the main toms are still well in crop but they were pretty late planted.

Have planted some suckers that are producing too and i can recommend tumbling toms as probably the best tasting variety ive ever had.

Chilies are looking well but very late.The F1 cayenne are very tasty and have been making soups with them and some toms and pretty outstanding although can be pretty hot.Most of the other kinds are really just fruiting so not sure how they will get on at this late stage.

Will try and over winter some this year and see how they get on.

Carrots,onions and leeks were pretty much a write off and im presuming not good for growing inside where the heat was shocking at times so wont go that route again.

Strawberries were outstanding for their first fruit and being so late and the cauliflowers were superb and can recommend growing in the greenhoose.

Few pics although the best is past for the toms.

001_zpswekztsxh.jpg

002_zpszlslphbz.jpg

003_zpscdkzazc8.jpg

004_zps1zvuvbm2.jpg

005_zpsmlx9cfmc.jpg

006_zpse1ee3nq7.jpg

007_zpskggqiz2k.jpg

I have some reapers that have grown well in the poly tunnel this year. Hot is not the word, volcanic comes close, they are like setting your face on fire with napalm and putting it out with pepper spray.

I will be chopping some of these up for a hot sauce and to put in oil so can can post some seeds if anyone wants some. :lookaround:

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I went for 3 or 4 different varieties from the South Devon Chilli farm.

The super chilli hot and apache F1 hot are flying and have a 100% hit rate. The Thai hot are slow starters and are at 50%.

I've got more seeds spare if anyone wants any.

I've made the mistake before of doing too many and you get in a muddle, mix up labels and then have a wheelbarrow of random chillis to out.

I'll put most of these into single decorative window cill type pots and give them away to family and friends to try and encourage them into a bit of gardening / plant love.

0_zpsvnnduj9n.jpg

One of my trays with a mix of chili and tomatoes.

Used Jiffies to see how they came on and very impressed although the other trays were done with normal old compost from last year and not so far on.

Started earlier than last year and not having as much problems with them getting leggy and they are both a lot stronger than previous.

002_zps8okptwxe.jpg

They've been in about a month, maybe 6 weeks, I do have heat and light for them, couldn't do it without that

Ive just got mine in a bedroom window which gets the sun from 1100ish till dark when we have any but what a difference in yours.Mine must be around weeks and so shows the benefit.