hwo to Increase the power on a spring air rifle

swaggerrich

You don't mention the model, my guess is it may well be one that's hard to get running close to the legal limit accurately enough for serious vermin shooting. A half decent service or mini tune up would cost somewhere around the £50 mark, unless you want to use this particular rifle for sentimental reasons I would say you're better off investing £200 or so for a nice 2nd hand hardware including scope ;):yes: .

You don't mention the model, my guess is it may well be one that's hard to get running close to the legal limit accurately enough for serious vermin shooting. A half decent service or mini tune up would cost somewhere around the £50 mark, unless you want to use this particular rifle for sentimental reasons I would say you're better off investing £200 or so for a nice 2nd hand hardware including scope ;):yes: .

Yh was thinking of getting another soon cheers

A half decent service or mini tune up would cost somewhere around the £50 mark, unless you want to use this particular rifle for sentimental reasons I would say you're better off investing £200 or so for a nice 2nd hand hardware including scope ;):yes: .

I would agree it would be better to buy a nice used rifle from a dealer, that way you know that its under 12 ft lbs, its a prison sentence for being in possession of a firearm without a ticket, in air rifle terms if your rifle is capable of exceeding 12 ft lbs with any projectile then its a firearm. So you rebuild ot with maybe anew spring and washer and you might be in serious trouble.

Assuming its an older rifle ( a picture would confirm) then Meteor which is really a beginers gun and ok for a few close rats wont get anywhere near 12 ft lbs. Mercury which from memory was a break barrel was a good tool as was Airsporter ( underlever with loading tap) . Still got a 177 airsporter myself. Both mercury and airsporter are capable vermin performers, do 10-11 ft lbs usually. The sight ramps are very shallow so get a GOOD set of mounts for them otherwise they will slide off the back. Whats good these days god knows, in my air rifle days it was Sportsmatch and Theoben.

Older than that, then still good performers and worth getting them done up properly.

A

The Supersport is a decent bit of kit and will be capable of power close to if not over the legal limit if you are not careful. I would get a standard tune up kit for it, strip it, fit the kit, re lube and see where you go from there.

Around £72 from - http://airgunbuyer.com/Showproducts.asp?cat=Accessories&SubCat=V-Mach%20Rifle%20Tuning%20Kits

Make sure you have access to or buy a chrono to check power readings.I've just rebuilt my PCP Falcon FN 12 and on running it through the chrono the first reading with a 14.2 grain pellet was 13.51 ft/lbs :blink: que some rather quick adjusting to get it back to a far more legal 11 ft/lbs.

Apparently lighter pellets give more power in a springer and the opposite in a PCP

Edited by Livefast123

the supersport was, and still is, a very capable gun when its working correctly.

to be honest, they are as simple as you like.

i would strip it, degrease EVERYTHING, get a new standard spring and seals, polish any metal to metal mating surfaces to NEAR mirror finish ( a complete mirror finish can stop the grease from sticking to the surface in some cases!) make sure you also polish the spring ends and spring guides (will help to smooth down the recoil slightly)

degrease everything again when your finished, and then fit the new seals to the piston head and breach.

add a very light smear of non combustable lube to the piston washer (i use abbey sm50) and put the piston assembly back in, being carefull not to damgage the piston washer.

very light smear of cv moly grease to the spring and around the spring guide and then reassemble.

if all is well, the gun should shoot smooth and be around the 11ftlbs mark.

you will need to get it chrono'd though.....

brett :)

Hi i have a old BSA air rifle spring powered and I am looking to use it for squirrels and rabbits so need to get it up to 12ft/pbs and at the moment it really has no power behind it so obvousily not suitable for quarry does anybody know how to increase the power or know of someone that can.

Thanks . Richard

Theoben Gas Ram

• 1 year later...

The best thing i would do is send it to sandwell field sports.

For £65 you get a stage 1 tune the gun will be near full power and very smooth to shoot.

You get a new spring. Polished cylinder. Polished piston. new top hat and spring guide.

It will shoot like a different gun very smooth accurate and low recoil.

By the time you have got a new spring and other bits you will be spending £40 to £50 and a load of grief.

+1 for the ox spring :good: , I was forever going thrue standard springs on my supersport but since changing to a ox spring i havent had to touch it fo 10 years or so well exept changing the O ring on the barrel :good:

Quickest way to ruin your gun m8 is to fit a ox spring :/ The recoil would make the gun shake itself to bits for a start :blush: Better off fitting a quality spring like titan m8 :good:

Quickest way to ruin your gun m8 is to fit a ox spring :/ The recoil would make the gun shake itself to bits for a start :blush: Better off fitting a quality spring like titan m8 :good:

havent piddled with a springer in a few years but i've seen the new and the newer and the all new new new diferent new springs in the shop, and erm them ox springs? ok they may have changed the rapper but they still look feel and wong the same inthe hand.

i'd second the springs arnt ermm..ok theyre good at door return springs.

i went of anything 'box' spring after three on the trot in a couple three months..they just arnt right lol.

I would agree it would be better to buy a nice used rifle from a dealer, that way you know that its under 12 ft lbs, its a prison sentence for being in possession of a firearm without a ticket, in air rifle terms if your rifle is capable of exceeding 12 ft lbs with any projectile then its a firearm. So you rebuild ot with maybe anew spring and washer and you might be in serious trouble.

Assuming its an older rifle ( a picture would confirm) then Meteor which is really a beginers gun and ok for a few close rats wont get anywhere near 12 ft lbs. Mercury which from memory was a break barrel was a good tool as was Airsporter ( underlever with loading tap) . Still got a 177 airsporter myself. Both mercury and airsporter are capable vermin performers, do 10-11 ft lbs usually. The sight ramps are very shallow so get a GOOD set of mounts for them otherwise they will slide off the back. Whats good these days god knows, in my air rifle days it was Sportsmatch and Theoben.

Older than that, then still good performers and worth getting them done up properly.

A

It's a firearm even if under 12ft/lbs.

J.

if over...

The law makes no distinction between air rifles and more powerful guns for which you need a licence – they are all classed as firearms. This means that any offence you commit can carry a very heavy penalty – and there are at least 38 different offences.

Courtesy of BASC.