Stock Doves

caeser

I think it may be a good idea to remind people what a stock dove and a rock dove are.

Both are protected species and cannot be shot.

Everybody that is not sure needs to do a bit of research and learn to identify them, before they get themselves in any sort of trouble.

Stock doves in particular, are very similar in colour to a woodpigeon, but without any white bars anywhere on them. Obviously a bit smaller too.

They fly totally different though, so can easily be identified in the air. Short fast bursts of wing beats.

I have started this because I have seen some pictures on here that have given me cause for concern.

My concern here is, that there are people on this forum,that are, in all innocence, shooting stock doves, and are completely unaware of it.

Consequently, they may even read this, and think, well thats not me. So they may never realise what they're doing.

If any ANTI shooters , that are clued up on bird ID are scrolling through this forum and come across a picture of shot stock doves, then be prepared for some flak.

If anyone wants to know what I'm talking about, send me a PM and I'll point you to it. Its not just my opinion, I know for a fact what they are.

(It might even be an idea for admin to remove certain pictures.)

I think it may be a good idea to remind people what a stock dove and a rock dove are.

Both are protected species and cannot be shot.

Everybody that is not sure needs to do a bit of research and learn to identify them, before they get themselves in any sort of trouble.

Stock doves in particular, are very similar in colour to a woodpigeon, but without any white bars anywhere on them. Obviously a bit smaller too.

They fly totally different though, so can easily be identified in the air. Short fast bursts of wing beats.

I have started this because I have seen some pictures on here that have given me cause for concern.

Agreed..Ive seen plenty pictures of stocks in with wood pigeon and also ferals in the last few years....but not bothered to flag it up, well only once..Ive also seen Jack snipe

They are actually quite easy to identify with a bit of research.

Im sure most are shot in genuine error but If in any doubt at all dont pull the trigger :no:

Edited by Fisherman Mike

This is something that we have commented on before and even posted identification pictures to help, such as these.

stocky300_tcm9-182218_v1.jpg

stockdove_300_tcm9-142509_v1.jpg

Stock doves fly with woodpigeons and feed on the same items, in the same areas, but they are quite distinctive.

As has been said, if in doubt, don't take the shot.

Worryingly the blame for the fall in Stock Dove numbers in some areas is being attributed by some factions to the increase in Pigeon shooting. Ive noticed a sharp decline in the areas I record for the BTO and in as much that everything else has remained constant but shooting has increased dramatically, there may be some credance in this.

A couple of years ago one game dealer well known to me rekoned he had at least a hundred Stocks a year in his total uptake of wood pigeon carcasses and even more worryingly even the odd turtle dove. :o

i have noticed stock doves the same as ceaser in some bag pictures on sporting pics recently but didn,t want to comment on it, don,t want to be one of many on here who pick fault with just about everything but it is baffling how they can,t identify them before they are shot

I agree, several bags this year show stock doves amongst woodpigeon in the end of bag photo. When the shooter lined them up for the pic it must have been obvious they had shot something that wasnt a woodpigeon?? :hmm: We all make mistakes, we are only human but as said, it is quite easy to distinguish a stockie from a woodie

In the area I shoot the stock dove population seems to move around a bit. They can go a few months between appearances but when they do they seem to make up a high percentage of the birds coming into the decoys. Many a woody has cocked a tail feather at me as I let it pass only to realise as it does one over the hedge. As already said, mistakes can happen. It can be difficult if the birds are coming from an awkward angle with the wind behind them, but for the sake of letting a few through untroubled I personally like to err on the cautious side.

ATB

Brian

I have sent many a PM on here to people who have posted pictures of shot Stock Doves. The response is always the same, thanking me for the PM and also saying that they thought they were young Woodies/ Ferals.

It is all doen to experience but the overall rule should be if you are not 100% certain it is a Woodpigeon or a Feral pigeon then do not shoot.

• 2 months later...

Ah, Blue Rock's! as we call them around here, some say they are a pain in the **** but to be fair they are very recognisable, much smaller, even than a young woody, much more flighty....and the big thing for me, they are much bolder than a woody, so let them land in your pattern, let them walk about in it and you can bet your billocks to a barn door a couple of woodies will follow it!