Clay shoots in Norfolk.

M.K.B.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is only 1 clay shoot worth going to in Norfolk - Fair Clay Targets run by HitClays (Alan Evans), he puts on a 100 bird sporting layout twice a month at his ground near Beeston, Dereham and also runs the now legendary Pigeon Watch Flush shoots - next one is the Summer Flush on July 28th, get your name down on this one, it's not to be missed.......

Hi

Having recently returned to clay shooting after a long lay off I am looking to find any clubs/shoots in the Norwich/Norfolk area. I live near Acle and willing to travel. Hope someone can point me in the right direction.

Cheers.

Hi mate

There is also one run by Steve Bennington of Churchills of Dereham

http://www.churchillsofdereham.co.uk/index.php/monthly-clay-shoot/

It's on the last Sunday of every month and starts at 10am (50 bird)

Alan's fairclay shoot is awesome but for a beginner like me some of the birds are nasty!

B.

Hi Mkb

Welcome back to shooting, there's a excellent shoot every 2 weeks at Beeston ran by Alan Evans aka fair clay targets,

His pigeon watch name is hit clays, if you contact Alan he will put you in the right direction, it's a excellent shoot with a excellent crowd of people always willing to help out

Edited by greeno

Hi mate

Alan's fairclay shoot is awesome but for a beginner like me some of the birds are nasty!

B.

been to Alan (hit clays) shoot a few times and you do get the odd target that is a bit harder but Thats better for a novice as he will take the time out to help and point out if needed like he has done with me quite a few times.

You wont get any better place at all £20 for 100 bird sporting plus food in the pub after.

Not been to the churchill one but if its anything like the service and attitude in the shop maybe not

You also have lakenheath down the a11

Hi mate

B.

Are you connected to/with Churchills ? ???

I only ask seeing as you felt the need to describe some of Fairclays targets as "nasty"

I'm not greatly experienced, having only been scaring clays once or twice a month since last May, but you can go anywhere and find targets with varying degrees of difficulty or challenge, Surely it's that same challenge that helps you learn & improve ?

To the Original Poster,

As you can see there's a fair consensus of opinion as to the value for money of the shoots laid on by Fairclay Targets, Always a great selection, a good crowd of folks especially on the PW days, many of whom attend from as far afield as Hertfordshire, Essex, even Kent.

i wouldnt say any of the targets alan sets are "nasty" challenging would be more acurate but always fair!

Tells you something about the quality of a shoot when people are prepared to travel from suffolk, essex, herts just fpr a sunday morning 100 bird

Get over to see alan, great set ups,safe and well priced,spot on really !

Hi

Having recently returned to clay shooting after a long lay off I am looking to find any clubs/shoots in the Norwich/Norfolk area. I live near Acle and willing to travel. Hope someone can point me in the right direction.

Cheers.

Hello, M.K.B.

I shoot with Alan (Fairclay Targets)and have been since starting out with a shotgun 2.5 years ago. I came into the sport having shot all manner of rifles and automated weapons for many years. I found Alan to be extremely helpful and knowledgeable about clay shooting, a good instructor and a damned decent bloke to be around (much as it pains me to say this in public!!) :yes:

Alan sets the targets from reasonably easy on stand 1, becoming more challenging as you progress round the course and he takes advantage of the lay of the land. This makes for an interesting round and gives the shooter the opportunity to practice all aspects of their chosen sport. As a novice, I found the round challenging, but what sport isn't when you are starting out or getting back into after a period of lay-off? I found the people at Alan's shoots are really friendly and welcomed me into the sport when I first went there. In response, I have taken quite a few newbies around for their first time and would be more than happy to be your shooting partner if you come along.

There are other venues to shoot at in Norfolk and I have probably shot at most of them. I am not related to Alan in any way, shape or form and am not his business partner either, but I have found his shoot to be one of the best value around and boy will you have a laugh as well. Don't take my word for it, come over for a try - you will enjoy it.

If you want to come round with me, drop me a PM and we'll arrange something.

Edited by Peregrinus

I've shot (I'm pretty sure) just about every ground in Norfolk and I keep going back to Beeston every fortnight :good:

I started going there a couple of years ago after a 20 year lay-off from clays and from the first time I was welcome which meant a bit as several other locations (no names, no pack drill) were a bit 'cliquey' for my taste. :oops:

Hitclays runs the exceptional PW flushes and, as other members have posted, they are as much fun as you can have with your clothes on :lol:

For an opportunity to meet new faces, make new mates and have a generally good day's shooting I don't think there's anything to beat it. The Churchills shoot on the 5 occasions I've been there has involved hold ups every time due to traps running out of clays or batteries going down and I like to keep in the swing and at Beeston with 10 stands to go at you rarely get bored. No detriment to Churchills - it could've been just bad luck that they were having equipment troubles when I went so I'm not running them down - just speaking as I find :yes:

If you make it along to one of Hitclays' shoots just ask where the PW bods are and Mel (Alan's long-suffering wife) will point you in the right direction but rest assured you'll get a warm welcome and you're welcome to shoot a round or two with me mate :)

Also don't forget that Alan offers advice and help on the day for free and you can go back to any stand and blast away at the end of the day to iron out any glitches in your shooting style.

Clay shooting is meant to be fun and the fact that 100+ people turn out to stand in a field in Norfolk twice a month (and travel extraordinary distances for the PW flushes - big up the Essex, Kent, Herts and Fenboy Massives!) says a lot :yes:

Hello, M.K.B.

I shoot with Alan (Fairclay Targets)and have been since starting out with a shotgun 2.5 years ago. I came into the sport having shot all manner of rifles and automated weapons for many years. I found Alan to be extremely helpful and knowledgeable about clay shooting, a good instructor and a damned decent bloke to be around (much as it pains me to say this in public!!) :yes:

Alan sets the targets from reasonably easy on stand 1, becoming more challenging as you progress round the course and he takes advantage of the lay of the land. This makes for an interesting round and gives the shooter the opportunity to practice all aspects of their chosen sport. As a novice, I found the round tough, but what sport isn't when you are starting out or getting back into after a period of lay-off? I found the people at Alan's shoots are really friendly and welcomed me into the sport when I first went there. In response, I have taken quite a few newbies around for their first time and would be more than happy to be your shooting partner if you come along.

There are other venues to shoot at in Norfolk and I have probably shot at most of them. I am not related to Alan in any way, shape or form and am not his business partner either, but I have found his shoot to be one of the best value around and boy will you have a laugh as well. Don't take my word for it, come over for a try - you will enjoy it.

If you want to come round with me, drop me a PM and we'll arrange something.

Yup, what he said :stupid:

Peregrinus and I shoot regularly together at Beeston and, apart from a strange taste in guns named after priest's hats, he's a fine judge :thumbs:

Irrelevant of the shooting ground, whatever targets are put on, they won't suit everyone there. If it's too easy, the good shots moan and if it's too hard, the novices get discouraged. FCT shoots always have the 'gimme' stands where good shots should get 10, reasonable shots should get > 7 and the novices should get half. There will always be the 'killer' stand that sorts out the men from the boys, but how else do you find a winner??

Alan always has an idea of what the winning score will be, based on the targets he's put on and for the vast majority of his customers, it will be a sporting and occasionally, challenging round. There are several 'regulars' who help Alan at the country fairs that he runs the clay lines at (Holkham, Chatsworth, Yorkshire Game fair, Essex Game Fair....) and they are always willing to offer advice or go round with anyone if asked to do so.

To echo some of the other threads on this post, it's not just the shooting at FCT that gets people to go there - it's the banter, the friendly atmosphere, the cost, the free grub at the pub afterwards and all the other things that you don't get at other shoots. Alan relies on people to be safe, shoot the stands as they are set up, be honest with their scores and chuck their empty shells in the buckets and in return you get cracking value for money and a good few hours of fun.

Everyone's entitled to their own opinions and for PaulieWalnuts to describe some of FCT targets as 'nasty' is a fair comment to make, but I'm countering that with my opinion, which is 'fantastic' - but maybe you need to shoot there and make up your own mind.......??

Irrelevant of the shooting ground, whatever targets are put on, they won't suit everyone there. If it's too easy, the good shots moan and if it's too hard, the novices get discouraged. FCT shoots always have the 'gimme' stands where good shots should get 10, reasonable shots should get > 7 and the novices should get half. There will always be the 'killer' stand that sorts out the men from the boys, but how else do you find a winner??

Alan always has an idea of what the winning score will be, based on the targets he's put on and for the vast majority of his customers, it will be a sporting and occasionally, challenging round. There are several 'regulars' who help Alan at the country fairs that he runs the clay lines at (Holkham, Chatsworth, Yorkshire Game fair, Essex Game Fair....) and they are always willing to offer advice or go round with anyone if asked to do so.

To echo some of the other threads on this post, it's not just the shooting at FCT that gets people to go there - it's the banter, the friendly atmosphere, the cost, the free grub at the pub afterwards and all the other things that you don't get at other shoots. Alan relies on people to be safe, shoot the stands as they are set up, be honest with their scores and chuck their empty shells in the buckets and in return you get cracking value for money and a good few hours of fun.

Everyone's entitled to their own opinions and for PaulieWalnuts to describe some of FCT targets as 'nasty' is a fair comment to make, but I'm countering that with my opinion, which is 'fantastic' - but maybe you need to shoot there and make up your own mind.......??

Yes, Yes, totally, absolutely and I agree. Probably in that order.

All in all a much better worded recommendation than mine :good:

The consensus of opinion seems to just about universally be 'See You There'! :D

Edited by Chazzmeister

Here here the last stand on the PW flush was hard but not impossible as someone got the maximum on all the stands. I will be going to the next PW flush as it was a great day.

there's plenty of hay bailers around, just ask about, alan (hitclays) is the best i've been to round here, not knocking other shoots, i learnt on one that's run by billy at nth walsham country sports, had a lesson or two which really helped, the only problem some of the smaller shoots face is handling larger groups, or people that just turn up on the off chance, then clearing up afterwards, some just don't have the resources.

Fair clays is a top place, I travelled 100 miles for the flushes and would do it again tomorrow. I'm even sneaking down there on my birthday for the next flush. Yer I'm a beginner and I got 35 I was well pleased, I met lots of great chaps, had a wicked day, I wouldn't say the targets was nasty but the wind was, and I swear I kept having empty cartridges that didn't hit anything. Think I ended on 35/50 which is quite good for me, although there was a straight. The pub grub was awesome, Alan and every one else made it a wicked day, all I can do is praise them for how much they did that day.

churchhills has got to be THE worst place for a novice to go , jumped up ,gun swinging, look at me bunch of numptys . if you want to learn how not to shoot safe on a clay ground and learn bad habits fast then maybe churchills is the place . alan does do a fairly good set up , if you find a stand you really like then you can just stay there and get ya eye in . plenty of no nonsense help on hand , but also , if you have a shooting buddy dieghton hills is also good but can be busy in the evenings .

and yes i have had the misfortune to shoot at churchills and to be unfortunate enough to get stuck behind the club wannabes at the holkham shoot last year .

churchhills has got to be THE worst place for a novice to go , jumped up ,gun swinging, look at me bunch of numptys . if you want to learn how not to shoot safe on a clay ground and learn bad habits fast then maybe churchills is the place . alan does do a fairly good set up , if you find a stand you really like then you can just stay there and get ya eye in . plenty of no nonsense help on hand , but also , if you have a shooting buddy dieghton hills is also good but can be busy in the evenings .

and yes i have had the misfortune to shoot at churchills and to be unfortunate enough to get stuck behind the club wannabes at the holkham shoot last year .

Howdo adi?!

never been to churchills so i couldn't comment, my best advice is to try out a few, if you don't want to go alone then post up a date on here in the meet up section, there'll be a few guys who'll turn up for def.

well do me like the gimp ! its gram !!! sorry didnt ring today , i made a mistake and been like a bear with sore head . will call you in morning .

but yes to the op . just ask if you want to meet up , just watch the one eyed gaylord , he will want more than just a round of clays , lol