Weihrauch hw 97 kt

Gutty Boots

The reviews I've seen for the above are very good. As it is a long time since I have used air rifles, I thought I would ask on here before spending.

My teenage son is after an air rifle & I had thought about getting him a pcp, however I came across this & the reviews say it's as quiet & accurate as a pcp, is this so?

A bonus is that it is ambidexterous, ( enabling me to have a shot with it too!)

I would probably be spending £4-500 on the rifle & scope, so what would be the better option, second hand pcp, ( air arms probably ) or the weihrauch, thanks in advance guys.

The 97 is the way forward. Mine has had the blue tune from Dave Hall. The deviation in velocity is even less than with my airwolf and there is no discernable difference in accuracy either. I have the 97 in the right handed form but shoot left handed to no ill effect.

Edited by durbsguy

They're as good as you'd expect from their well-earned reputation; Despite also having PCP's and other springers, mine (mildly fettled) is my go-to gun and I struggle to do any more than equal its accuracy with anything short of a full-on FT (PCP) racegun.

Maybe a touch on the heavy side for a youngster, and definitely not as quiet as a (silenced) PCP because of the mechanical noise from having a spring/piston, but springers don't get much better. If you're thinking second hand PCP, why not consider a second hand 97 as well?

I have a HW97kt and it is superb , a very very accurate rifle , mine is off to be tuned next week which hopefully make it even sweeter.

Not sure how old or strong your son is but they are a heavy rifle so bare that in mind , but for quality and accuracy they are hard to beat.

This is easy to settle-pop down to your nearest dealer who has a range and try the 97 against,say,a used S400 or even a new S200.Then buy the gun that proves most accurate and easy to shoot-all you need to do then is decide which caliber Air Arms you will go for (.177). :good: :good:

The HW97KT is a superb rifle, but it is heavy. My 12 yeard old son struggles with mine.

He had an S200 also. Nice short stock and light. Naff trigger on them though in my opinion, and no safety either. Clinically accurate though.

I have a BSA Lightning as well. That's very light, ambidextrous, and a relatively short stock. Shoots very well. My son has no problems with this.

Best thing to do would be as above, try them out first.

Thanks for the replies guys, please keep them coming. My son is a big lump of a lad & can manage the weight of the gun no problem.

The main problem is location & lack of access locally to try before I buy, so I will need to decide on which rifle & either have it posted to me if 2nd hand private sale, or to nearest rfd if new.

I had a hw many moons ago & remember it favourably, think I'm leaning towards another.

Thanks for the replies guys, please keep them coming. My son is a big lump of a lad & can manage the weight of the gun no problem.

Sorry to throw a spanner in the works but if your son can manage a heavy rifle, look no further than a TX200 :good:.

with your budget you'll get a new gun with scope. TX200's are regarded as the best spring rifle money can buy. It will shoot pellet on pellet out of the box. How many weirauch ownwers have had them vemonised or other work done. Lots have on the range i shoot. Does it make it any better than a TX200. NO. Or for pcp any Air Arms rifle. :good:

The main problem is location & lack of access locally to try before I buy, so I will need to decide on which rifle & either have it posted to me if 2nd hand private sale, or to nearest rfd if new.

I had a hw many moons ago & remember it favourably, think I'm leaning towards another.

Perhaps you could try going along to your local HFT club? Peope are usually willing to let you have a go with their kit.

I have a tuned HW97K - by far my favourite rifle ever. Air Arms are a fine gun to though, although I don't think that the TX200 is as tunable; or maybe it is the better of the two out of the box...

Sorry to throw a spanner in the works but if your son can manage a heavy rifle, look no further than a TX200 :good:.

with your budget you'll get a new gun with scope. TX200's are regarded as the best spring rifle money can buy. It will shoot pellet on pellet out of the box. How many weirauch ownwers have had them vemonised or other work done. Lots have on the range i shoot. Does it make it any better than a TX200. NO. Or for pcp any Air Arms rifle. :good:

Are they ? who by ? , I have had both and I know which I pefer ! all this better out of the box talk is rubbish , I have owned a awful lot of HW guns over the years 80s 77s 95s 35s etc and they could all put pellet on pellet at sensible ranges "out of the box" and the 97kt I now shoot is extremely accurate and has never been touched , having said that it is still going to be tuned why ? not because it needs it but because it will make it better still , just as tuning a tx200 will improve it !

Edited by fenboy

just bought a tx 200 today you wouldnt beleive it look under the pictures section and look at the grouping with h&NFTTS unreal better than 97 by far ive got both

I have already seen your pic and sorry to say either you or your gun are not quite as good as you think !.

That is a ok group it is far from being outstanding , you must have had a very poor 97 if it did not group better than that.

Incidently you dont say how far you were shooting so that group could be at ten yards !

Everyone has their own opinion and the tx is indeed a good gun as I said I have had both too but much prefer the 97.