Homebrewing

Zapp

I am very much loving home brewing, even if only from kits at the moment, big thanks to all you lovely lot for your help!

I am on a Woodfordes 'Nelsons Revenge' at the moment, 2 weeks in fermentation bucket, 4 weeks in barrel, and now half gone! Seems to go down too quickly this one!

01CC9E8D-23F4-4D3D-850F-754FF97E0A08-536

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Just a bit of a heads up for any brewers who have got any coeliac or gluten intolerant mates/family. I'd heard of a fining called clarityferm whic was used to kill chill haze in beer but also had a side effect of 'cancelling out' the gluten in beer. A good friend of mine who is a pub landlord is married to a coeliac and in the absence of my having any beer gluten device, she offered to be my guinea pig. I'm happy to say that she can drink any beer I've made with the clarityferm with no ill effects (apart from a hangover!!). The stuff is brilliant, it;s a couple of quid for a phial that will treat up to 7 gallons and you just pour it into th e wort at the same time as pitching the yeast.

68441F9C-EEA0-431E-9FE8-F37C2A6D679A_zps

It's definately worth a go if you do know someone who can't drink beer due to the gluten. According to the coleliac society it can be classed as gluten free if its less than 20ppm, this gets most beers down to 10ppm

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just started a Hammer of Thor lager special gravity Kit by Bulldog Brews. Brewing it a bit short and hoping for around the 7% mark. Got an Evil dog double IPA for when the fermenter is free which I am hoping to brew to around 9% not sure whether to just brew it short or add a bit of brewers sugar. Any suggestion?

Guest cookoff013

Just started a Hammer of Thor lager special gravity Kit by Bulldog Brews. Brewing it a bit short and hoping for around the 7% mark. Got an Evil dog double IPA for when the fermenter is free which I am hoping to brew to around 9% not sure whether to just brew it short or add a bit of brewers sugar. Any suggestion?

if you want a decent high abv beer then you can make it by adding 3 tins of 1.5kg malt in a 40 pint ferment. i used a kit like nelsons rewenge as a base (2 tins) then i added a light lager single tin on top. came out lovely.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest cookoff013

9% and i use a safale05 to ramp down that carbohydrate, to up the ABV, having residual sugars is not good,

this beer actually tasted brilliant, had a wonderful mouth feel and one of my best experimental brews.

if i had to do it again i`d just put it in 0.5pint bottles, as one pint isnt something to be taken lightly.... and to make it last longer......

it need time (atleast 6 weeks to come into condition fully.)

a brewer friend commented it was really good. it had 4.5kg of malt extract. some high ABV beers are just about that.

taste, flavour and mouth feel was pretty spot on.....

ps, no using heavy equipment after though.

Guest cookoff013

9% and i use a safale05 to ramp down that carbohydrate, to up the ABV, having residual sugars is not good,

this beer actually tasted brilliant, had a wonderful mouth feel and one of my best experimental brews.

if i had to do it again i`d just put it in 0.5pint bottles, as one pint isnt something to be taken lightly.... and to make it last longer......

it need time (atleast 6 weeks to come into condition fully.)

a brewer friend commented it was really good. it had 4.5kg of malt extract. some high ABV beers are just about that.

taste, flavour and mouth feel was pretty spot on.....

ps, no using heavy equipment after though.

Nb

also that was a full 40 pint brew.

Guest cookoff013

i use the kits and abuse them, just get an ipa 2tin kit and add either 1tin of lager malt / light malt i think i used a pilsner tin.

you want to keep the characteristics of the brew normal (ie like the flavour of the 2 tin kit), but add light tasting malt / low hopped kit, to up the ABV.

i did use safale05 super yeast, gives a nice clean taste, and has the power to convert all the malt to alcohol. the nottingham yeast might do it but i havent tried.

at £30 a brew it is expensive if it goes wrong.

Edited by cookoff013

Hi I'm new to shooting having only just applied for my SGC.

I have however been brewing beer for a few years now. I use an all grain method call brew in a bag (biab). It is very efficient with space and cheap enough. I use an electronic jam maker from lidl.

Guest cookoff013

i never made the jump to biab. but i wouldnt mind.

time / space etc has stopped continual brewing... i do try to get atleast one brew a year up and running.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm brewing today for the first time in ages!!!

Simple all grain recipe biab style. 6kg pale malt, 500g light crystal, cascade is the only hop I'm using haven't decided on amounts yet.

And I've picked loads of elderflower this morning so that will be going in at flame out to steep for 15 mins or so :-)

Fingers crossed,,,,,,,

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
Guest cookoff013

Too update this thread my 9% beer turned out "beautifull". I have enjoyed it.

For the summer I have a muntons porter and a St Peter's rubber ale to do. No funny stuff, brew as normal though.

Bit of advice needed please.

I'm just about to start brewing 40 pints of 5% apple cider from a cheapo kit of juice concentrate which says to add 1.5kg of sugar.

I'd like to jazz it up a bit and was thinking of making a type of cider/mead combo and upping the alcohol level a by 1 or 2%. Would I be better off substituting some or all of the sugar for honey the start of the ferment, or fermenting it as usual with brewing sugar then adding in some honey near the end of the process to keep the fermentation going and give it some extra flavour? When finished I'll be decanting the brew into a pressure barrel and letting it sit for 2-3 months or as long as I can resist it.

Thanks.