Laser Range Finder at Night

mick miller

I have a Nikon prostaff 550,happy enough with it but display not illuminated & not easy to see in very low light.Below is an extract from review at http://larryprice5372.hubpages.com/hub/Nikon-ProStaff-550-Rangefinder-Review

"I've seen reviews that reject the idea of a black reticule option. The Nikon 550 uses a black on clear reticule, which is normal for a base to intermediate optical product. Most of this criticism is brought saying the black reticule is not easily seen during a late-dusk or early-dawn range scan. We are talking about the range finder reticule here while measuring for a shot, having measured that, a gun shot is intended to take your prey. My position is this: Nikon's choice to use a black reticule is sufficient for safe use and practice. You should not take a shot when the reticule is obscured by darkness. The taking of prey is the objective, but the safety of people or other hunters should be our primary concern. This reticule is fine for safe hunting practice, and I agree with Nikon's optical development team in choosing the black"

So moonlit night ok? But no moon and you're stuffed! Thanks for that.

Although the optics are good it is essentially a 6x21 mono,so light gathering not so good.At low light the basic problem is I can see targets clearly through my Meopta 6x42 that I can't see through the rangefinder.Not so much a problem as I have listed ranges for my favourite points.One other point with this,and possibly other rangefinders(I've only had the 550 & an old bushnell),is that if your target is small like a rabbit,compared to the deer etc. they were designed for,you often have to rangefind the nearest large object as you can't get a "bounce" off the target.

I like the MTC one. Use any star to illuminate the viewfinder not just the moon. On those extreme days when it is really pitch black use the bounce-back from your lamp. Otherwise you will not know what to range anyway as without a lamp it is too dark to see those rabbits :blink:

You could try the Nitesite stuck on the back it may work

I had thought about doing this Nick, I can quickly swap the camera off the DSA (one of the benefits of buying one) and put it back in exactly the right place. Just thinking how that might work.

I like the MTC one. Use any star to illuminate the viewfinder not just the moon. On those extreme days when it is really pitch black use the bounce-back from your lamp. Otherwise you will not know what to range anyway as without a lamp it is too dark to see those rabbits :blink:

Is that the Rapier? I looked at that but didn't know if it used LCD or LED. Sounds like it uses LCD.