150g (5oz) venison mince

300g (101⁄2oz) pork sausage meat

Salt and pepper

Herbs

200g (7oz) plain flour

100ml (31⁄2fl oz) milk

3 eggs, beaten

250g (9oz) coarse white breadcrumbs

Start by removing your eggs from the fridge at least an hour before cooking. Cooking from room temperature is the key to getting the yolks just so. Boil the eggs in water for five and a half minutes exactly. If you are at high altitude, this timing may change. Take the eggs out of the water and plunge into iced water to stop them cooking. When cool, peel them carefully and leave the peeled eggs in water.

Prepare the sausage meat by mixing the venison and pork together. Season the mix with salt and pepper and any herbs you choose. Form the meat into balls the same size as the eggs.

Flour the eggs. Squidge the balls of sausage meat into flat circles about 5in in diameter and encase each egg in a thin layer of meat. Mix the milk and beaten eggs together, then flour the enrobed eggs again and dip them in the mix before dunking the lot in breadcrumbs.

Repeat the process so the crumb armour is two layers thick. Deep fry the eggs in plain oil at 175°C/347°F for six minutes. They should be deep brown in colour but not burnt. Serve hot and whole with a sprinkling of sea salt on the top.

How to make a scotch egg: The Harwood Arms Venison Scotch Egg

Makes 8 scotch eggs

8 medium hen's eggs

150g (5oz) venison mince

300g (101⁄2oz) pork sausage meat

Salt and pepper

Herbs

200g (7oz) plain flour

100ml (31⁄2fl oz) milk

3 eggs, beaten

250g (9oz) coarse white breadcrumbs

Start by removing your eggs from the fridge at least an hour before cooking. Cooking from room temperature is the key to getting the yolks just so. Boil the eggs in water for five and a half minutes exactly. If you are at high altitude, this timing may change. Take the eggs out of the water and plunge into iced water to stop them cooking. When cool, peel them carefully and leave the peeled eggs in water.

Prepare the sausage meat by mixing the venison and pork together. Season the mix with salt and pepper and any herbs you choose. Form the meat into balls the same size as the eggs.

Flour the eggs. Squidge the balls of sausage meat into flat circles about 5in in diameter and encase each egg in a thin layer of meat. Mix the milk and beaten eggs together, then flour the enrobed eggs again and dip them in the mix before dunking the lot in breadcrumbs.

Repeat the process so the crumb armour is two layers thick. Deep fry the eggs in plain oil at 175°C/347°F for six minutes. They should be deep brown in colour but not burnt. Serve hot and whole with a sprinkling of sea salt on the top.

Sounds very nice Nick, will have a go at making these me thinks.

Wife won't be impressed with the deep frying though, will start on me regards healthy eating :oops:

:

Wife won't be impressed with the deep frying though, will start on me regards healthy eating :oops:

Cos

Make your own and you can add variety, Pork, Pork and Beef,Venison. you can then add Onion,Chillies etc, and don't forget the Salt and Pepper to "your"taste :good: .

Quails Eggs for tip bits, Duck Eggs for a challenge :lol::good:

I have never been a fan, until the day I tried the ones at The Harwood Arms [thanks to N Beardo esq]

'OMG' they are good :drool

http://www.thefield.co.uk/food/picnic/447134/How_to_make_a_scotch_egg_The_Harwood_Arms_Venison_Scotch_Egg.html

Thirded. These are far and away the best I have ever eaten, and I know my way around a scotch egg :yes:

As above home made are the best, pork and leek sausage meat :wub: to die for, Get the biggest eggs you can hard boil or just long enough as the yolk is soft but not runny deep fry and scoff. Nice hot or cold :thumbs:

When i do mine there are the size of tennis balls, a reet good feed :thumbs:

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

You don't have to deep fry them. You can roll them round in shallow hot fat for a few minutes to brown them, then bake them at 175C for about 25 minutes. Or just bake them. There's plenty of fat in the sausage meat to keep them moist.

You don't have to deep fry them. You can roll them round in shallow hot fat for a few minutes to brown them, then bake them at 175C for about 25 minutes. Or just bake them. There's plenty of fat in the sausage meat to keep them moist.

Thats how i did mine on my one an only attempt came out ok.

Thanks for that!

Cos

Just seen this thread.

My butcher makes his own pork and black pudding sausages,

I buy them, skin them and use the meat to make scotch eggs, lovely flavour :good:

:shaun:

I discovered there's an Indian Scotch Egg equivalent this week....

The Nargisi Kofta, spiced lamb around a boiled egg with an omelette wrapped around it!

7d1510ae.jpg

Do you think indian restaurants over here sell them?

:shaun:

Shoehorn,

Does he mix the black pudding with the sausage? I ask as i had some last week in a bar in Leadenhall Market and they did a black pudding version that was fantastic (and i ain't a fan of black pudding at all) - Couldn't ask him roughly what the pud to sausage mix was could ya?

Also - Another vote here for quails eggs - Fiddly but well worth it!

Finally - i would query the health/dietary benefits of shallow fry and bake vs deep frying - Once the outer is sealed in the hot oil they will steam inside and remain moist and lovely - Shallow fry and you'll saturate the breadcrumbs in below temperature fat and then dry the insides by baking.

If you're going to do it, you might as well do it properly - I'd hate to be a healthy 90 year old that had never had a truly great scotch egg!!!

Shoehorn,

Does he mix the black pudding with the sausage? I ask as i had some last week in a bar in Leadenhall Market and they did a black pudding version that was fantastic (and i ain't a fan of black pudding at all) - Couldn't ask him roughly what the pud to sausage mix was could ya?

Also - Another vote here for quails eggs - Fiddly but well worth it!

Finally - i would query the health/dietary benefits of shallow fry and bake vs deep frying - Once the outer is sealed in the hot oil they will steam inside and remain moist and lovely - Shallow fry and you'll saturate the breadcrumbs in below temperature fat and then dry the insides by baking.

If you're going to do it, you might as well do it properly - I'd hate to be a healthy 90 year old that had never had a truly great scotch egg!!!

hi fatcat i make a nice breakfast sausage with black pudding and smoked streaky in they fab

colin